Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jenuz

Re: New Hulu interface is so bad.. If you agree

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:58 pm

dfgsrzwer wrote:
jenuz wrote:
Hulu should have 2 apps.  1 for OnDemand and 1 for Live.
The reason Terrarium TV is crushing KODI is because of STN - Simple Thumbnail Navigation.
Would love to roll back the Roku firmware that still has the Older/Better Hulu UI.

My generation 3 Roku2 4210 still has the old interface even though the app updated yesterday. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Note---Roku firmware version is irrelevant. It's the Hulu app version that counts.

Firmware is relevant, the new Hulu will only work with 7.7.0-4135 or higher.
From Hulu.com "All devices must be updated to firmware version 4135 or higher to access the new Hulu experience. For more information about upgrading your version, visit Roku."

On my 2nd Roku 3 I've disabled the channel store update, so hopefully "Classic Hulu" will remain.  The firmware already updated to 4135 but still showing 'Classic Hulu' not 'New Experience Hulu'.  Hopefully the block will prevent the channel update.

dfgsrzwer

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:12 am

mikebdoss wrote:
There's no point in belittling the support guy, he's on a script and just trying to make a living. Aim higher. 

I think the main point there is that Hulu will not change back. Not that confirmation was needed, but we'll either have to live with it* or dump it. I'll probably end up dumping it after 5 years including the entire period of ad-free service---reluctantly as there is stuff there not found elsewhere. But if it's too hard to navigate to, what's the point of it being there? Is it too hard? Only the individual can decide. Myself trying to be objective says that it can be done. Myself being subjective says it may not be worth it. If my Roku2 stays with the old interface, fine; but I'm still P-Od that I recently purchased a Express+ for the sole purpose of watching Hulu, and now have to put it away because my 360 is easier to use.

That will leave me only Amazon and HBO for subscription streaming. HBO doesn't have enough content I haven't already seen (and adds stuff not all that often), and Amazon the second worst interface I've seen (I'm not counting Netflix as I never saw the new one before I got rid up it). Lots less streaming I guess...and catching up on my 15000 hours on DVD. I can find what I'm looking for on those DVDs faster than Hulu (OK, not really but it'll save me $12 a month anyway).

*new users won't know how bad it is compared to the old; and many (most?) established users will moan, gnash their teeth, then sigh and learn to live with it

bvd1022

Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:18 am

I actually like it though I will admit it takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it it's good. I like how they got rid of the watchlist that automatically got rid of content once you watched it.  The new UI also seems more organized as compared to the previous UI's across devices. The only thing I noticed, which might be a bug is not all networks show up in the networks section in the on demand section. I don't subscribe to the live TV service so I am unfamiliar if there is anything different with that added. 

AJCxZ0

Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:54 am

mikebdoss wrote:
There's no point in belittling the support guy, he's on a script and just trying to make a living. Aim higher. 

Suspecting that was a public response to me, though not addressed to me, my reading of the transcript doesn't show me belittling him. Of course I'm slightly biased by knowing my actual intent, but in any case I appreciate your perspective.
It might be some reassurance to know that after the disconnected chat I completed a survey in which I wrote only praise for Carter, saying that I appreciated his straightforward manner and his efforts to help.
It's a tricky balance for both parties in these cases since each has the job of advocating for and representing their "side" (i.e. him for the contracted service provider and me for the dissatisfied customer) while treating each other with appropriate dignity and courtesy. I'd like to think Carter didn't feel belittled or that he was able to adequately address the legitimate complaints of his customer.
Of course the reason I shared any of the transcript here was that it literally gives an answer to the question of the topic. I shared the whole transcript for the additional relevant details which may inform affected Roku users, to give an example of Hulu customer service and to show a complete picture devoid of editorial bias.
Hardware: 4640RW (Ultra), 4630X (Premier+), 2 × 3500R (Stick) | Software: Android app

dfgsrzwer

Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:24 am

bvd1022 wrote:
I actually like it though I will admit it takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it it's good. I like how they got rid of the watchlist that automatically got rid of content once you watched it. 

Something was wrong with your account then. I never lost content from my watchlist unless I manually deleted it (a few years ago, when they experimented with a "queue" that happened, but that was a short-lived experiment). Also, the new "watchlist" not only is less intuitive and takes more clicks to add content, content cannot be deleted without some extreme acrobatics; plus there are TWO "watchlists" with content different from each other. And if you have a device with the old interface, guess what? Yep, now you have THREE watchlists, all different (the transcript provided by an above poster implies this).

"More organized"? That statement just boggles my mind. There may be fewer thumbnails, but it takes more time to get to what you want rather than what Hulu wants you to want. Also, they removed the "carousel" menu scroll and replaced it with a linear begin/end list (years ago, Roku's Home menu used this linear system, and they realized the carousel method was better).

It is THAT BAD? No...as I said you can get used to it (though in my case, on Roku anyway [not on 360], there is a major obstacle which I certainly am not going to discuss [and by "not discuss" I mean no comment at all past this] and is irrelevant to the main discussion). But there was no reason for it (other than "it looks pretty"...a poor excuse video games catering to millennials use as well). I can't see any real reason for it; changing something simple into something "pretty" is some ego designer thing (again, see link provided other thread/below...Android browser is a PITA to paste anything).
Last edited by dfgsrzwer on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

reddice

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:10 pm

I now hate the word "feedback"  Really all big companies ignore "feedback" yet they beg you to leave feedback that they always ignore when you complain.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:46 pm

What makes you think they're ignoring feedback? If enough feedback contains threats to cancel their service is received, then I think they'll take the feedback into consideration.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

dfgsrzwer

Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:42 pm

jeffrok wrote:
What makes you think they're ignoring feedback? If enough feedback contains threats to cancel their service is received, then I think they'll take the feedback into consideration.

Because, despite how recent this is to Roku, it's been long established on other devices with many complaints (see my first post in this thread). The transcript above also states it's not going to change.

You're tilting at windmills here. Also, you're overestimating people actually following through on complaints. If you think anything is going to change, other than the eventual demise of Hulu (which is going to happen whatever interface they use; even Hulu knows this which is why they launched a ridiculously priced live COMMERCIAL tv service...I could get the same from Spectrum/Charter for 2/3 the price without the internet at all), I've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell to you.

Do companies ignore feedback? You betcha. Just look at this forum's "fantasy list", aka "feature request"...not that I blame Roku for ignoring 90% of that nonsense.
Last edited by dfgsrzwer on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Squatting Hen

Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:49 pm

They have beta testers, like most companies do. The majority, way, way majority let Hulu know how cumbersome the new UI is. Guess what....They didn't care. They are not going to say they did some ridiculous and change it back. Like removing the headphone jack....

bvd1022

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:39 am

dfgsrzwer wrote:
bvd1022 wrote:
I actually like it though I will admit it takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it it's good. I like how they got rid of the watchlist that automatically got rid of content once you watched it. 

Something was wrong with your account then. I never lost content from my watchlist unless I manually deleted it (a few years ago, when they experimented with a "queue" that happened, but that was a short-lived experiment). Also, the new "watchlist" not only is less intuitive and takes more clicks to add content, content cannot be deleted without some extreme acrobatics; plus there are TWO "watchlists" with content different from each other. And if you have a device with the old interface, guess what? Yep, now you have THREE watchlists, all different (the transcript provided by an above poster implies this).

"More organized"? That statement just boggles my mind. There may be fewer thumbnails, but it takes more time to get to what you want rather than what Hulu wants you to want. Also, they removed the "carousel" menu scroll and replaced it with a linear begin/end list (years ago, Roku's Home menu used this linear system, and they realized the carousel method was better).

It is THAT BAD? No...as I said you can get used to it (though in my case, on Roku anyway [not on 360], there is a major obstacle which I certainly am not going to discuss [and by "not discuss" I mean no comment at all past this] and is irrelevant to the main discussion). But there was no reason for it (other than "it looks pretty"...a poor excuse video games catering to millennials use as well). I can't see any real reason for it; changing something simple into something "pretty" is some ego designer thing (again, see link provided other thread/below...Android browser is a PITA to paste anything).

Actually, I contacted Hulu about a year ago about the issue of content being removed from my watchlist after viewing and the person I talked to told me that's how the watchlist feature was designed to work and that I would have to re-add content after I watched it for future viewing and it was not exclusive to the Roku version of Hulu.  It was an annoyance particularly with regard to movies, but I'm glad they got rid of it. You are entitled to your opinion, but I do think it is more organized and there is less scrolling now as compared to the previous UI, at least that's my view on it. It doesn't take me too much time to find what I'm looking for as most of the time it is right on the main page when I start the app/channel now.  I also like how they added the profiles feature to the Roku version finally as it will allow my family and I to have a separate viewing experience whereas before I had several TV series on my watchlist that I would not have otherwise had (Lack of interest) so they could watch it. At least now with the profiles, it will be less cluttered.  As far as the design of the UI, that isn't my area of expertise as I know nothing about how designs are made and what the process is as far as making them along with synchronizing a design to work with a UI. I do remember how the Roku UI used to be many years ago, I like what they have now as compared to that.  

reddice

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:16 am

Squatting Hen wrote:
They have beta testers, like most companies do. The majority, way, way majority let Hulu know how cumbersome the new UI is. Guess what....They didn't care. They are not going to say they did some ridiculous and change it back. Like removing the headphone jack....

QC suppose to be the beta testers not us.  It was like that in my day the good old days (80's, 90's) when music was great not the lip sync electro house trash crap it is is today but that is another rant.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.

jeffrok
Topic Author

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:41 am

reddice wrote:
Squatting Hen wrote:

QC suppose to be the beta testers not us.  It was like that in my day the good old days (80's, 90's) when music was great not the lip sync electro house trash crap it is is today but that is another rant.

Like you said, that's for another rant, but the 80s and 90s had a good share of crap too.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

mikebdoss

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:49 am

jeffrok wrote:
reddice wrote:
Squatting Hen wrote:

Like you said, that's for another rant, but the 80s and 90s had a good share of crap too.

People forget the huge quantities of bad movies and music from the past, and just remember what they liked. Then they compare that subset to everything new that they DON'T like. Coolest thing about this is that it's always happened - in the 80s and 90s, people said exactly the same thing about 60s and 70s music. 

atc98092

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:13 am

mikebdoss wrote:
jeffrok wrote:
reddice wrote:
Squatting Hen wrote:

People forget the huge quantities of bad movies and music from the past, and just remember what they liked. Then they compare that subset to everything new that they DON'T like. Coolest thing about this is that it's always happened - in the 80s and 90s, people said exactly the same thing about 60s and 70s music. 

As I'm listening to "Magic Carpet Ride" on my computer from my ripped CDs.  :lol:
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.