Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Squatting Hen

Re: New Hulu interface is so bad.. If you agree

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:07 pm

reddice wrote:
Squatting Hen wrote:
They have beta testers, like most companies do. The majority, way, way majority let Hulu know how cumbersome the new UI is. Guess what....They didn't care. They are not going to say they did some ridiculous and change it back. Like removing the headphone jack....

QC suppose to be the beta testers not us.  It was like that in my day the good old days (80's, 90's) when music was great not the lip sync electro house trash crap it is is today but that is another rant.

Right, but lots of companies today beta test their apps and devices through end users, like you and I. They create something, do some in house testing, and then ask for/release the product to beta testers. This is actually a pretty good way to find real life issues.

atc98092

Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:04 pm

Squatting Hen wrote:
reddice wrote:
Squatting Hen wrote:
They have beta testers, like most companies do. The majority, way, way majority let Hulu know how cumbersome the new UI is. Guess what....They didn't care. They are not going to say they did some ridiculous and change it back. Like removing the headphone jack....

QC suppose to be the beta testers not us.  It was like that in my day the good old days (80's, 90's) when music was great not the lip sync electro house trash crap it is is today but that is another rant.

Right, but lots of companies today beta test their apps and devices through end users, like you and I. They create something, do some in house testing, and then ask for/release the product to beta testers. This is actually a pretty good way to find real life issues.

It allows them to test with far more hardware configurations than they can afford to have in a lab. Public betas are pretty much required nowadays. I've beta tested for Microsoft since 1998 with Windows 2000. Again, far too many hardware combinations to test in house.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

reddice

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:13 pm

People forget the huge quantities of bad movies and music from the past, and just remember what they liked. Then they compare that subset to everything new that they DON'T like. Coolest thing about this is that it's always happened - in the 80s and 90s, people said exactly the same thing about 60s and 70s music.

Except I like 60's and 70's music and listen to it quite often.  The music today is trash.  The only thing I liked was Trance but most trance is trouse now (Electro House garbage mixed with Trance and uplifting Trance which is a train wreck) and sounds almost identical to the trash music today.

As for beta testing well many software and hardware I used did not have the beta name on it and it is unstable.  Matter of fact some software I used the beta version was more stable than the final version.  Now with forced updates you are stuck with a bad version which is almost impossible to downgrade.  Roku lets you downgrade but many other companies don't give you that option.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.

beq

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:42 pm

Let's say I've had my mum's Roku use my Hulu on-demand subscription for the rare times when we're at her house.

I've since upgraded to a Hulu live TV subscription, and tried the "new" Hulu channel on her Roku the other day.  Blocked due to different home network location.

My question is, if I downgrade back to an on-demand sub, will my mum's Roku be able to use my Hulu account again?  Or does the "new" Hulu channel now enforce home network restriction even for on-demand subs?

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:28 am

reddice wrote:
Except I like 60's and 70's music and listen to it quite often.  The music today is trash.  The only thing I liked was Trance but most trance is trouse now (Electro House garbage mixed with Trance and uplifting Trance which is a train wreck) and sounds almost identical to the trash music today.

You like and listen to a VERY small subset of the 60s and 70s music - the stuff that you already liked and/or stood the test of time. Then you're comparing that to everything you hate from today (when there's literally millions of hours of music created/released every year, in every genre - far more than you could ever listen to). Saying that all music today is "trash" is a meaningless, uninformed statement.

19097media

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:55 pm

I have honestly never seen such an inept and misguided redesign.  The whole thing is completely unusable.  DISASTER. 

dfgsrzwer

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:49 am

19097media wrote:
I have honestly never seen such an inept and misguided redesign.  The whole thing is completely unusable.  DISASTER. 

Not "completely"; obviously that is hyperbole. But there was no reason for the change.

steelersrule

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:22 am

I don't like the new interface myself.  Very confusing, for now.  But like anything else, I will eventually get used to it.

Another thing for everyone in case this was not mentioned in the thread.  If HULU app is not working after update, this is what I did:

1.  Delete app, and download it again from Channel Store.
2.  Then , RESTART your ROKU.  Apparently, this is important to the new HULU app working correctly.
3.  Then launch app, and sign in.  Should work with no problems after doing the above.

My HULU app would not work until I RESTARTED my ROKU Premiere +.  This seems to be key to the app working properly.  Deleting it, and then re-installing it may not be necessary, but I did it anyway.

atc98092

Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:24 am

steelersrule wrote:
I don't like the new interface myself.  Very confusing, for now.  But like anything else, I will eventually get used to it.

Another thing for everyone in case this was not mentioned in the thread.  If HULU app is not working after update, this is what I did:

2.  Then , RESTART your ROKU.  Apparently, this is important to the new HULU app working correctly.
3.  Then launch app, and sign in.  Should work with no problems after doing the above.

My HULU app would not work until I RESTARTED my ROKU Premiere +.  This seems to be key to the app working properly.  Deleting it, and then re-installing it may not be necessary, but I did it anyway.

The reboot should be done BEFORE downloading the app again. Otherwise traces of the old program may remain and you will still encounter issues. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

AJCxZ0

Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:01 pm

On my Roku Premier+ I've observed that the ↺ (replay) button doesn't work any more. I also notice that the * button first pops up the old menu for subtitles including the three choices of on, off and on replay (my preference) - which have no effect - followed on second press by a second interface in the new style with options ON and OFF which do work if you can select them before the menu disappears.

I know these are just bugs and will likely be fixed soon, but unless this behaviour is peculiar to me, it seems unlikely these were unknown when the choice was made to make this release.
Hardware: 4640RW (Ultra), 4630X (Premier+), 2 × 3500R (Stick) | Software: Android app

bvd1022

Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:35 am

AJCxZ0 wrote:
On my Roku Premier+ I've observed that the ↺ (replay) button doesn't work any more. I also notice that the * button first pops up the old menu for subtitles including the three choices of on, off and on replay (my preference) - which have no effect - followed on second press by a second interface in the new style with options ON and OFF which do work if you can select them before the menu disappears.

I know these are just bugs and will likely be fixed soon, but unless this behaviour is peculiar to me, it seems unlikely these were unknown when the choice was made to make this release.

I uninstalled both the newly released app/channel and the beta channel for Hulu and rebooted my ultra, and it seems to have corrected the issue of the occasional playback error message when trying to play content. As far as the new layout and button configurations, like most things, it will take some getting used to, but I still hold firm on my stance that this is a more organized and smoother UI overall as compared to what Hulu had before.  I currently have a Premiere + and a 2016 stick that is in use so I am going to see if doing the same thing on both devices will correct the playback error issue.  

steelersrule

Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:54 am

atc98092 wrote:
steelersrule wrote:

The reboot should be done BEFORE downloading the app again. Otherwise traces of the old program may remain and you will still encounter issues. 

Ahh. Thanks for the correction.

dfgsrzwer

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:14 pm

bvd1022 wrote:
but I still hold firm on my stance that this is a more organized and smoother UI overall as compared to what Hulu had before.

Your definition of "smoother" and "more organized" is different than the rest of the English speaking world. That's not an opinion, it's an objective fact. OK, the "more organized" is subjective...but you are in the clear minority (and I'm sure many would say my concession on this is generous; if I recall correctly you are a "live sports" guy---not really Hulu's forte so your experience MAY be extremely niche). But the "smoother" part is bat-youknowwhat crazy. I've been forced to use this on my Xbox 360 for almost 2 weeks now (it's been on the 360 for months, but after Roku Express+ [3710] changed over I switched to the 1% easier to use 360 interface), and it still takes 4 times as many clicks to access the same video as my old interface Roku2 4210. Don't even get me started on removing things from the watchlist, let alone adding over all devices and versions.

I'll reiterate: the interface sucks, most people hate it, there was no reason to change it. But it is not going to change back, and every single person better realize this and make their own final decision. It is not unusable, just very clumsy. I'm about 60% sure that Roku Gen 3 or older (ie, anything with a "number" other than 4) will NOT be "updated"; this is because the app updated at the same time, but did not get the new interface (on my 4210 on Sept 21). Why? Dunno; but great while it lasts, despite ancient devices like 360 and PS3 getting updates.

Yeah, as I said above, I'm p-o'd that I recently bought an Express+ that is now a paperweight for the 360 I've had for years, and the 4210 that still has the old interface.

I can quit the internet at anytime (and the way Charter has been out the past week, without admitting it when I call them up on the telephone), my multi-thousand DVD/BD collection is looking better and better.

empirefalls

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:22 am

WOW! What a mess

I am on day 3 of a Hulu one week trial and i have no idea of what channels i have. Supposedly my local channel is available..cant find it!

Think i am going to cancel today so i dont forget near the 7 day to cancel date

steelersrule

Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:06 am

If anyone has any fixes on this problem now with HULU, let me know:

I used to be able to put on, say, The Golden Girls, for my elderly mother, and the series would just run from one episode to the next, with no issues.

Now when I do it, it plays ONE EPISODE, and then jumps to another show she may have watched, like Cheers.
'
Why, with this new interface, won't it just play episode after episode, like it did on the old UI.

If this has been removed, that really blows.  It was nice just to "set it and forget it" for my mother.  Is there a way to fix this?  Is there something else I have to do now, like in the settings somewhere, to fix this issue?  If there is, let me know.