Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

twiceover

Re: New Roku Hardware Announced. 4K/HDR Stick - Roku OS8

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:30 am

So this is the new "lineup"...  Are the Premiere units discontinued?

OS8 Specs:

https://blog.roku.com/pages/roku-os-8-release-notes

Note "Single Sign On"!!!

Bacon

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:37 am

twiceover wrote:
So this is the new "lineup"...  Are the Premiere units discontinued?

Looks like it. No need for them really if the Stick+ supports 4K HDR in the mid-tier price range.
Which models support FHD UIs?

Bacon

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:42 am

!!!

Additional Roku OS 8 Updates and Bug Fixes
  • You can now test your network and internet connection, and receive information to resolve connectivity issues such as poor wireless signal strength or internet speed. At any time, go to Settings > Network > Check connection. For more details, click here.
  • Closed Captions are now displayed with a more consistent on-screen appearance across streaming channels.
  • More Ways to Watch for Roku TVs has been updated with a new visual design that makes it easier for you to identify which streaming channels have content related to what you’re watching via HDMI inputs such as cable or satellite boxes, and/or connected HDTV antennas.
  • You can now configure your Roku player for 24, 25, 30 or 60 Hz HDMI output based on your audiovisual equipment and viewing preferences. For more information, click here.
  • Fixed multiple bugs that caused Roku devices to reboot intermittently when steaming specific channels.
  • Fixed a bug that caused 4:3 streaming content to be “over-stretched” when some Roku TV models were put into Stretch mode.
  • Improved performance of navigating the UI on Roku Streaming Stick model 3500X.
  • Fixed a bug that caused system reboots when Audio Guide is enabled and long scrollable text blocks appeared on screen.
  • Fixed a bug in which color banding would appear on the screen for some Roku TV models when entering USB media player.
  • Fixed a bug that caused some Roku TV models to freeze when displaying the screensaver.
  • Fixed a bug in which audio would not mute immediately after some Roku TV models were turned off.
  • Updated UI text for Night Listening Mode to make it more clear what the feature will do when enabled.
  • Fixed a bug in which closed captions would occasionally not appear in some streaming channels after an advertisement was played.
  • Fixed a bug in which the battery life indicator for Roku player model 4200X would sometimes display inaccurate battery life.
  • Fixed a bug in which HD streaming content from some channels would appear in “double letterbox” display on some Roku TV models.
  • Additional updates and fixes were made to improve overall streaming performance and reliability across Roku devices.
Supported Roku Devices:
  • Roku Streaming Players – 4660X, 4640X, 4630X, 4620X, 4400X, 4230X, 4210X, 4200X, 3910X, 3900X, 3810X, 3800X, 3710X, 3700X, 3600X, 3500X, 3420X, 3400X, 3100X, 3050X, 3000X, 2720X, 2710X, 2700X, 2500X, 2450X, 2400X
  • Roku TV – All Roku TV models are expected to receive Roku OS 8

rockou

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:14 am

Until they can fix the Ultra I bought when it first came out and leave it fixed for a considerable amount of time showing me they are capable of having a good working product, I will not be buying anymore Roku updated products.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:19 am

Heyitsrick wrote:
http://cordcuttersnews.com/meet-2017-roku-lineup-4k-roku-stick-powerful-players/

https://blog.roku.com/index

Better link on the Roku Blog: https://blog.roku.com/introducing-the-roku-streaming-stick-and-the-new-roku-streaming-player-lineup-plus-roku-os-8
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

Basil

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:33 am

Also, I note that the new Roku Express line supports Mirroring, whereas the previous line didn't. That means that for the first time, the entire lineup supports Mirroring.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

sterod

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:32 am

Did the Ultra receive any hardware upgrades to make it worthwhile to purchase over the previous model released earlier this year?

beq

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:04 am

There are a couple variants of the new enhanced (Wi-Fi) remote with the added TV power and volume buttons. The 2017 Streaming Stick/+ remote just has the voice search. Only the 2017 Ultra remote has the headphone jack private listening, remote finder, and gaming buttons.

Will either new remote work with the 2016 Ultra, older Roku 3, etc?

Can the new remote with headphone jack also work with the new SS/+?

When will Roku start selling them as extra accessories?

How do the TV power/volume buttons work? Continues to rely on the Roku player to send HDMI-CEC commands, or the remote itself sends (auto-programmed) IR codes? Both methods have been mentioned in the press.

Can the new remotes work with an actual Roku TV? I assume the factory enhanced remote that comes with a Roku TV performs the TV power and volume controls via a more direct method over Wi-Fi? Plus it has a mute side button in addition to Vol +/-.

P.S. The Roku website's new comparison chart hasn't been updated to show 2017 Roku TV capabilities (the chart only mentions the 2016 TCL UP130 4K non-HDR Roku TV model).

Dakotah

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Bacon wrote:
[*]You can now configure your Roku player for 24, 25, 30 or 60 Hz HDMI output based on your audiovisual equipment and viewing preferences. For more information, click here.

[*]
Niiiiice. Is that link for more information working for anyone? It's not working for me. I'm really curious to see if the refresh-rate will be auto-switching in any way. I'd certainly prefer to be watching a movie in 24p...but I also don't want to have to go back to the menu and switch back to 60p when I'm watching football in 720p/60 through Tablo.

twiceover

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:35 pm

Dakotah wrote:
Bacon wrote:
[*]You can now configure your Roku player for 24, 25, 30 or 60 Hz HDMI output based on your audiovisual equipment and viewing preferences. For more information, click here.

[*]Niiiiice. Is that link for more information working for anyone? It's not working for me. I'm really curious to see if the refresh-rate will be auto-switching in any way. I'd certainly prefer to be watching a movie in 24p...but I also don't want to have to go back to the menu and switch back to 60p when I'm watching football in 720p/60 through Tablo.

[*]https://support.roku.com/article/115012823268-how-to-change-the-display-refresh-rate-of-your-roku-streaming-player-to-match-the-native-format-of-each-movie-video-or-tv-show
And yes, it shows:
The auto-adjust display refresh rate setting can be enabled or disabled from the settings menu on your Roku player. The setting will not change when your Roku player reboots or when the software updates.
  1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  3. Select System and then select Advanced system settings.
  4. Select Advanced display settings.
  5. Select Auto-adjust display refresh rate and choose from the following:
    • Enabled – Your Roku player will automatically switch to the native format of the movie, video or TV show when playback begins.
      • Note: Due to video mode changes by your TV, the picture may flash to black when starting and stopping playback.
    • Disabled – Your Roku player will output ALL content at 60fps.

mc510

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:54 pm

Fixed multiple bugs that caused Roku devices to reboot intermittently when steaming specific channels.

Oh, sweet baby, I hope they mean it this time!

Buzzsaw

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:11 pm

After almost a FULL YEAR of nothing but problem after problem with my ROKU Ultra, I don't plan on buying any more ROKU products until they get their act together...
Audio issues... red flashing areas on 4K Netflix... Popping and cracking sounds for months....  No thank you.
Roku Ultra
Samsung UN65JS8500 (4K/HDR)
DirecTV HR54-500
Yamaha RX-A770 Aventage AVR

Room 2:
Sony KD43X720E
ROKU 4
Yamaha RX-V679 AVR

Crow550

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:01 pm

24hz! 23 fps for Movies! Yay! :P No more telecine judder! For those with Displays that support native 24hz. ;)

Grand Total

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:02 pm

I've finally done what I should have done a while ago and am now blocking Roku software upgrades. I may relent and permit OS8 if there are few enough new bugs introduced, but I doubt it. Having had my favorite channel be unusable for four months once before I'm in no hurry to repeat the experience.
Roku 3 (4200), now permanently back in it's box.