Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Pompey

Re: New Roku Hardware Announced. 4K/HDR Stick - Roku OS8

Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:07 pm

gbcox wrote:
JPRESCO wrote:
sterod wrote:
Did the Ultra receive any hardware upgrades to make it worthwhile to purchase over the previous model released earlier this year?

I'm also curious about this. Anyone know the differences between the new 2017 Ultra versus the Ultra released last year?

I'm interested also... it appears the new ultra is more or less like the 2016 Premier+ since they deleted the optical port.  Would be interested in knowing if there were any chipset upgrades from last year, or they just renamed the Premier+

This is a very great point.  If there is no upgrade in processor or memory over the '"first gen" Ultra, then this is just a cheesy re-branding exercise on the part of Roku.  If such is the case, the removal of digital audio out is akin to paying for a "feature delete" option on a car. I see the Wikipedia entry for Roku has no info on the just announced lineup.  In the absence of details, will just have to wait and see.
"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill

Pompey

Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:16 pm

Direct quote from The Verge two days ago:

"The bigger Roku box — the Roku Ultra — isn’t getting any significant hardware changes, but at $99, it’s less than the $130 starting price point it had last year. This is the highest-end Roku. It includes support for 4K at 60 fps and HDR10, an Ethernet port and USB support, a “Find My Remote” feature, private listening on the remote, and now, power and volume buttons on the remote as well."

This speaks to a question I have raised before about the future direction of the new, public Roku. If this is indeed indicative of a curtailment in product development; is Roku thinking of reducing their efforts in the hardware market; concentrating instead on software licensing to TV manufacturers?  This might be akin to the scuttlebutt about TiVo getting out of the box business, and moving towards just licensing their software to others, as they have been doing with Pace gateways/routers?  Just sayin'
"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill

twiceover

Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:44 pm

Pompey wrote:
Direct quote from The Verge two days ago:

"The bigger Roku box — the Roku Ultra — isn’t getting any significant hardware changes, but at $99, it’s less than the $130 starting price point it had last year. This is the highest-end Roku. It includes support for 4K at 60 fps and HDR10, an Ethernet port and USB support, a “Find My Remote” feature, private listening on the remote, and now, power and volume buttons on the remote as well."

This speaks to a question I have raised before about the future direction of the new, public Roku. If this is indeed indicative of a curtailment in product development; is Roku thinking of reducing their efforts in the hardware market; concentrating instead on software licensing to TV manufacturers?  This might be akin to the scuttlebutt about TiVo getting out of the box business, and moving towards just licensing their software to others, as they have been doing with Pace gateways/routers?  Just sayin'

I for one welcome the thinning of their product line.  I don't know why they even have 5 at this point.  Low end, Mid Range, Box all using the same remote.  That's what all the cool kids are doing.

Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:18 pm

The new product line does seem to make more sense but offer a USB Ethernet adapter like the Chromecast has....

The Wifi Antenna extender cable thing is a great idea though.

Streams

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:06 pm

This is great, I am glad that I waited for a new stick.

I have been waiting for years for Roku to integrate power and volume buttons into the remotes.  I just hope it works in my Vizio TV.

atc98092

Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:31 am

I wish the new remote also had a mute button, but oh well.
One other thing they removed from the Ultra to reduce cost was Dolby Digital decoding. Last year's Ultra can convert DD+ to DD. The new one seems to have lost that function.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Heyitsrick
Topic Author

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:55 am

atc98092 wrote:
One other thing they removed from the Ultra to reduce cost was Dolby Digital decoding. Last year's Ultra can convert DD+ to DD. The new one seems to have lost that function.

Most likely since they removed the optical out. If you have an HDMI-based AVR, chances are pretty good that it can decode DD+.

Streams

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:09 am

atc98092 wrote:

I haven't muted since I started streaming things.  IMO, any time you want to mute, it makes more sense to just pause it.  
We are used to pressing mute on television from the days in which you couldn't control it.

atc98092

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:28 am

Streams wrote:
atc98092 wrote:

I haven't muted since I started streaming things.  IMO, any time you want to mute, it makes more sense to just pause it.  
We are used to pressing mute on television from the days in which you couldn't control it.

True, you have a point there. I do use pause all the time.  :D
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

atc98092

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:29 am

Heyitsrick wrote:
atc98092 wrote:

Most likely since they removed the optical out. If you have an HDMI-based AVR, chances are pretty good that it can decode DD+.

True with AVRs. But many people use soundbars now, and many of them can't handle DD+, or they don't even have HDMI in. Optical is the only option.
Dan

Heyitsrick
Topic Author

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:26 am

atc98092 wrote:
Heyitsrick wrote:
atc98092 wrote:

True with AVRs. But many people use soundbars now, and many of them can't handle DD+, or they don't even have HDMI in. Optical is the only option.

Right, so then you/they would need the 2016 Ultra, as it's the only one that has optical out. My point is that if the new Ultra doesn't have optical, there's no reason (ok, many fewer reasons) to decode DD+ in the new Ultra.
AppleTV takes a different tack on this. It does the decoding, and outputs as PCM (either multi-channel PCM or stereo PCM). But it's still HDMI-only.

ronybaba

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:45 am

thnks 4 sharing this info...

beq

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:41 am

So, which new player(s) are you guys pre-ordering?  From Roku.com, Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, etc?

Streams

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:20 pm

I pre-ordered the new Stick from Amazon since I am a Prime member.  Should I have ordered from somewhere else?

atc98092

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:51 pm

I have no need for a new player at this time. If they had bitstream HD audio over HDMI, I'd be looking to get a couple of them, probably an Ultra and Stick +. 
Dan