Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jrijr
Topic Author

Comparing Hulu Live and Sling TV

Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:48 pm

I have two Roku's on two home TVs, and have been a Sling TV subscriber for ~two years.  I've been happy with the options, but I miss live, local news and programming.  

Hulu Live has come to Indianapolis (about 50 miles north of me).  I cannot access OTA channels, even with an antenna, due to distance and geography (tried it, no-go).  Hulu Live would be an up-tick in cost, but offer several new channels locally (Indy and Louisville), so it could be worth it.

However, I'm not seeing a "Hulu Live" option in the channel list on Roku.  I"m assuming I just use the Hulu channel, but wanted to confirm with the experts here first.  Also, I would appreciate any experience members have had with Hulu Live.  

Thank you!
Bloomington, IN. Star Wars fan. Toyota FJ driver. Three Labrador Retrievers. Keto.

dfgsrzwer

Re: Comparing Hulu Live and Sling TV

Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:36 pm

Hulu live is an add-on to existing account and app. It must be added via website account. It is $40 in addition to your current account of $8 or $12, and any other addons. It is only available on devices that have the new, horrible interface.

I'm not going to pay $40 for ad-supported TV to check how to add local channels (I could simply add Charter TV for that cheaper if so inclined), but I believe there is some sort of weird "acrobatics" on the new interface that does so.

jrijr
Topic Author

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:31 am

dfgsrzwer wrote:
Hulu live is an add-on to existing account and app. It must be added via website account. It is $40 in addition to your current account of $8 or $12, and any other addons. It is only available on devices that have the new, horrible interface.

I'm not going to pay $40 for ad-supported TV to check how to add local channels (I could simply add Charter TV for that cheaper if so inclined), but I believe there is some sort of weird "acrobatics" on the new interface that does so.

I'm assuming Charter TV is a cable provider... I'm not returning to Comcast for any reason.  The bait-and-switch was ridiculous, and a constant hassle.  
If I'm understanding you, Hulu Live is in addition to a regular Hulu subscription??  That surprises me - their website says that Live is in addition to the on-demand programming.  
Bloomington, IN. Star Wars fan. Toyota FJ driver. Three Labrador Retrievers. Keto.

scottypie1234

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:11 am

Use the Hulu app for Hulu Live TV. It's not really an add-on. You subscribe to Hulu LIve TV, and the subscription includes access to Hulu's on-demand library.

DarkJedi

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:32 am

dfgsrzwer wrote:

One little correction. The $40 (actually $39) is not in addition to the $8 for classic Hulu, the $8 service is included in the $39.

dfgsrzwer

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:02 pm

DarkJedi wrote:
dfgsrzwer wrote:

One little correction. The $40 (actually $39) is not in addition to the $8 for classic Hulu, the $8 service is included in the $39.

39.99 is $40, not $39...

But otherwise, you are correct. I could have sworn it was a different combination last time I looked. Even so, $32 is still more than cable TV costs (for the first year).

DarkJedi

Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:04 pm

I actually thought it was $38.99, my bad. I can't get quite that deal for first year of cable, but that doesn't matter because second year is twice the "introductory offer" and it doesn't take long to make it far less worth it. No matter how you cut it in the current market you're going to get channels you don't care about.  I also live in one of those rare areas where I can't get locals with an antenna (and I have tried) so I'm stuck with what's available.

dfgsrzwer

Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:25 pm

DarkJedi wrote:
I also live in one of those rare areas where I can't get locals with an antenna (and I have tried) so I'm stuck with what's available.

It's not as rare as you think. Even the building you live in matters. I live in a concrete building that effectively blocks digital signals (even 15 years ago with analog signsls weren't that great). Since I have no desire to watch TV stations that are at least 30% ads (which is why I have built up an extensive DVD colection over the last 20 years; I have over 15000 hours currently and that's after selling off c.75% 5 years ago), no big deal, but still...