Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mattbatt

Re: Youtube won't stay on channel?

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:09 pm

This is a hack to get YouTube to work that I was using earlier today.  It seems some people are getting functionality back.
While the YouTube homepage is still loading on your Roku press the OK button as many times as it takes to get a video to start before it crashes. 
This will be some crap video you never wanted to watch but it's the crack that we can wedge open.
While that video of some terrible mellinal yelling at the camera "What's up guys your boy ____ here back with anot..." you get the idea while the video is playing or paused, open the YouTube on your phone and select the video you actually want to watch and "cast" it to the Roku. 
My device usually glitches and starts showing  on my phone the video I'm currently watching first but if you pull up your video Queue you can select the video again and hit play.  Then just add the videos to your queue that you want to watch.
Yesterday just casting to the Roku was not working today it seems to be.
Good Luck.

ghb51

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:13 pm

It's working in 1080p on my Roku 1 now too (same specs as TRR), had to sign in again, but that's allright, thanks to the Roku and You Tube crew.

edit - TRR is on the other page now, so I'll just copy his specs since they're the same except for last update , mine was 8/22/17 - 

Roku 1 - 2710X
FW: 7.7.0 build 4135-06 
YouTube version: 2.0 build 70100049
Display Type settings: 1080p HD TV

rickde

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:45 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
shabish2002 wrote:
This happens to older devices. You tube refuses to continue updating older devices like wiis, tv with apps and now the roku. It has happened to me already with other devices. They're basically trying to make us buy a new device every few years. I freaking hate them.

No.  This is an issue that we're currently investigating.  The current work-around is to set your display setting to SD.  While it's not ideal, it's the only thing available at the moment while our Engineers work with YT to correct the issue.

Thank you to the folks at Roku and YT for working on this issue and getting it resolved. It appears that perhaps YouTube went back to the older setup to get this working again judging by the red YT logo but who knows? Anyway thanks again for addressing and resolving the issue. 

mattbatt

Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:06 pm

Well it's working again.  I wouldn't call it fixed because it looks like they just rolled back to the previous version (kinda scary that Roku can do that without my permission).  It's working until YouTube decieds to update again. 

dfgsrzwer

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:48 pm

rickde wrote:
It appears that perhaps YouTube went back to the older setup to get this working again judging by the red YT logo but who knows? Anyway thanks again for addressing and resolving the issue. 

For what it's worth, those of us using other devices never had a logo change.

rickde

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:20 pm

mattbatt wrote:
Well it's working again.  I wouldn't call it fixed because it looks like they just rolled back to the previous version (kinda scary that Roku can do that without my permission).  It's working until YouTube decieds to update again. 

Hey don't everyone out there be so darn negative. It could just be that, if they did roll back, they're still working on a new build and didn't want us all to wait forever to have a working YouTube interface. I'm optimistic that, when they release a new build again, they will make darn sure it doesn't have the same issue. They will, most likely, fully test it first to avoid another occurrence of the problem in HD mode. I'm not sure exactly where the changes were made or by whom. Neither the OS build or YouTube app build versions changed. It is something going on in the back end of things that we don't see other than the different YouTube logo. For now I'm just glad it all works again and that I don't have to purchase a new Roku box. 

(FYI It appears that the YT issue only happened with the 2700, 2710, 2720 series Roku boxes(models LT, SE, 1 & 2) first released in 2013. They all had the same CPU and memory.) 

Tenstone84

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:09 pm

Just saw that it's working again for me also,  with t.v. set on 720p.  Thanks for whatever fix was done.

Roku 1, 2710x

Melorie

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:56 pm

Well, I'm still waiting for my YouTube to start working. It's been 3 nights already n after reading page 8 of this forum, it's looking like it starting to work for some folks. Wishing me and everyone good luck

Melorie

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:08 pm

Yay!! YouTube is working on Roku lt. Thank you!!

lissak

Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:18 pm

I read that YouTube will no longer be supporting the older Roku models.  Is this true?

mistercoyle

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:45 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Please post your serial numbers/model numbers.  Thanks.

Roku2
3050X

YouTube keeps cutting out in the middle of videos and jumping back to Roku home page. 

atc98092

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:32 am

lissak wrote:
I read that YouTube will no longer be supporting the older Roku models.  Is this true?

Remember that Google is responsible for the YouTube channel, not Roku. If they decide to not support older players, that's their call. Based on the way it works on my 2 XS, I believe they already don't care much about the older players. Even on my Insignia 720p Roku TV it has its issues. But on my Stick, 4, Ultra and new Sharp 4K Roku TV, it works flawlessly.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

catiebee

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:05 pm

I can play between one and three short youtube videos before it goes *poof* back to the home page. 

I own a JVC  EM42FTR TV that came with a 3400X Roku stick.

I wonder whether this story is over and the best option now is to buy a new Roku stick. Though I thought things were a bit better for a day or two.

jackcf

Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:07 pm

I have Roku XD activated in 2012 (Serial. No. 12C26J028861) and YoutTube does not work for  me either.

Sometimes it will play a video or two but eventually crashes in the middle of a video. Other times it will not start and will crash after the splash screen appears.  It hasen't worked for weeks.

mc510

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:10 pm

I had the new gray splash screen and it wouldn't play anything, then it went back to the old red splash screen and worked better, and now it's back to the gray splash and crashing left and right again.  ?!!?!?