Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Waysted
Topic Author

Is Roku down?

Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:58 pm

I added several channels today via the Roku site. They never did add to my Roku 4. To make matters worse, my box slowed down to a crawl. I rebooted several times to no avail.

I finally decided to unlink my Roku. The box did a factory reset, one automatically and one manually just to be sure. During activation, I enter the code, Roku’s site starts the process, and then the site throws up an error. I’ve been trying it for 30 minutes. No dice. Now I have a dead Roku until whatever is going on gets fixed.

Yay for Sunday evening viewing before a long work week.

dfgsrzwer

Re: Is Roku down?

Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:40 pm

Never do a factory reset unless you have no choice. Adding apps takes time, and impatience is not good. If a new app doesn't load, resetting is the ONE thing to you DON'T want to do, because it means there is a server problem (either on your side or the "Roku" side; in the short run it makes no difference). Resetting won't help a server problem, it just makes things worse.

There is ALWAYS an option before resetting hardware.

Waysted
Topic Author

Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks for the tip, man. Unfortunately, I had to learn that for myself. After some more digging, I can't get the site to load all of my $0.00 purchases, only an error, which I assume is all the channels I added. It must have overloaded something. Something glitched on their end and it will get fixed when it gets fixed.

And you're right about the reset. I'm had to do it one other time, and it takes FOREVER for it to install everything again. That's not even counting all the logins/passwords to re-enter for all the subscribed channels. From what I've read, the Roku 8 software will have a universal login. Considering all the has to be reloaded on mine, I may get lucky enough to auto-update to it by the time it's finished. That's both encouraging and depressing.  :? I guess it's time to see what's on Dish or blu-ray. That horror movie I rented and started on FandangoNOW will probably expire by the time I get back up. What a waste. 

Thanks again for the reply. I'll just need to be more patient from now on. Patience is something I figure I would have already learned dealing with Roku for the past few years. 

dfgsrzwer

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:10 pm

Waysted wrote:
From what I've read, the Roku 8 software will have a universal login. 

Don't count on that. Apps have to support it as well. For example, Youtube supports universal login on any Xbox unit, but Hulu does not.

To be honest, universal login is a convenience, not a necessity. Yeah, it's nice; but if you have that many apps on that many devices that login becomes a PITA rather than a one time thing every so often, you have too many devices using too many apps.

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:47 am

dfgsrzwer wrote:
Waysted wrote:
From what I've read, the Roku 8 software will have a universal login. 

Don't count on that. Apps have to support it as well. For example, Youtube supports universal login on any Xbox unit, but Hulu does not.

To be honest, universal login is a convenience, not a necessity. Yeah, it's nice; but if you have that many apps on that many devices that login becomes a PITA rather than a one time thing every so often, you have too many devices using too many apps.

Also, not all cable providers are participating either. Most notable missing is DirectTV/DirectTV/AT&T Uverse. Also, Dish/Sling TV are not on there.
https://support.roku.com/article/208756 ... bscription
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

regnad kcin

Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:44 pm

"Single Sign On works with most cable and satellite providers, notable exceptions being:
  • Spectrum (Bright House Networks, Time Warner Cable, Charter)
  • Comcast XFINITY
  • Altice (includes Optimum, Suddenlink and CableVision)
  • Verizon
  • Frontier"
That sounds like approx. 80% of the population that would attempt to use Single Sign On.....

Waysted
Topic Author

Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:28 am

Sent a support email yesterday. Still no response. Tried to activate Roku again. Still no change. This is great.

Waysted
Topic Author

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Support instructed my to clear out my cookies, cache, etc. I did that, tried multiple browsers, and even tried different computers, all to no avail. The only thing that did work was to create a second Roku account.

Unfortunately, this new account does not have access to any of the screensavers, themes, or channels that I purchased through Roku. Even more importantly, it does not have access to my FandangoNOW account, and from what I’m gleaned from forum posts there is no way to add it since it is so closely tied to my primary Roku account.

Because of these issues this is not an ideal or feasible long-term solution. Anybody have any other ideas?

Do you think if I go in and delete some channels from my primary account it might help? I’m just wondering if perhaps all the channels I have are overloading the Roku during initial activation.