Hi all ...
Just wanted to know if the new Roku Stick will stream files from my NAS

mc510

Re: Streaming files from NAS

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:46 am

perfik wrote:
Hi all ...
Just wanted to know if the new Roku Stick will stream files from my NAS

If your NAS runs a DLNA server, the Roku Media Player app should be able to play from it. Personally, I've had mixed results with DLNA and the Roku. Seems that Plex is people's preferred option; can your NAS act as a Plex server?

atc98092

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:18 pm

Yes, your Roku will play media from a NAS (via DLNA). However, there are two caveats. You either have to have your media in a format that the Roku can play, or the file requires transcoding. Many NAS devices don't have the computer horsepower to transcode HD video. Basically, your media needs to be in the MKV or MP4 container, with H.264/MP4 video ( the 4K models also support H.265) and the audio needs to be AAC or AC3/Dolby Digital. It will also pass DTS core audio via HDMI, but you have to have something that can decode DTS, like an AVR, in the HDMI chain. Just so you know, virtually all DVDs will contain MPEG2 video, which Roku does not support (except for the TV models). Blu Ray movies are usually H.264, but I've encountered a couple with VC-1, which again Roku will not play. You can use a program like Handbrake to convert any non-compatible videos.
You could also install a DLNA server on a computer and stream the media files from the NAS through it. However, that puts a larger strain on your network. But most computers nowadays can perform transcoding without much effort.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

perfik
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:47 pm

Thank you so much for the reply and info., most of my Videos on my NAS are either MKV or AVI, but I can trans-code them if needs be. My TV Media player does most of the work from the NAS, but as with most stuff does not play every type of format, so I was looking for something that would do all like my old "WD TV Live" media player that has given up the ghost and they do not make anymore.

atc98092

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:16 am

perfik wrote:
Thank you so much for the reply and info., most of my Videos on my NAS are either MKV or AVI, but I can trans-code them if needs be. My TV Media player does most of the work from the NAS, but as with most stuff does not play every type of format, so I was looking for something that would do all like my old "WD TV Live" media player that has given up the ghost and they do not make anymore.

The Roku Media Player (RMP) channel would most likely be the closest to the way the WDTV worked. I had the old Sony N200 media player, and the Roku actually performs far better than the Sony ever did. While the Sony (and the WDTV) supported more media formats, it choked on HD media and ended up needing to be transcoded anyway. My old Roku 2 XS also couldn't handle HD video bitrates (it would only handle about 16 Mbps), but every Roku I've purchased since then does fine. I have videos with peak bitrates approaching 80 Mbps, with steady bitrates between 40-50 Mbps, and even my Stick over wireless usually does fine. RMP has a basic user interface, but does display some metadata. My Sony BD player and Samsung TVs display nothing other than the title. The Sony doesn't even show the cover art.
Plex was mentioned earlier, and is another reasonable way to stream local media. The user interface is more like Amazon or Netflix with the display of metadata and images. Your NAS might support Plex, but again it might not have the power to run it successfully. Doesn't cost anything to try, though.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

perfik
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:07 am

Thanks once again for your input, I will do some more research and find the best for what I have. The NAS is a Synology so should support the Plex add-on.  :wink: