Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

khalilk
Topic Author

Problem with new streaming stick on Philips TV

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:43 am

So I just bought a new 2017 version roku streaming stick to replace my legacy roku box. The old box worked fine but some channels were not supported so I decided to upgrade.  Anyway I hooked up the new stick, set it up and started streaming - no problem. Then I turned off the tv to go to bed and it turned back on again by itself and the screen displayed the "format not supported" error. After several times of this happening I gave up and went to bed. So it was still on this morning when I got up showing the "format not supported" message. I tried unplugging the stick, moving it to other hdmi ports, nothing changed.  Figured out the CEC was the problem with the tv powering back on again so I did a factory reset on the stick, went through the setup again, skipped syncing the remote and voila, back in business.  At least until I turned off the tv again.  When the tv was turned back on, it was back to "format not supported."  Did another factory reset, got it set up and working again, turned off the tv, same thing.  Took it to a different tv and plugged it in and it came up fine with no issues turning tv off and on. By the way the hdmi ports on the first tv all work with my chromecast and old roku, so I know that is not the problem.  Both tvs are pretty old and both support 720p and 1080i.  The tv having problems is a Philips.  I tried Roku support chat and all they said was it sounds like a compatibility issue.  Wow, no kidding.  Big help lol.  Has anyone seen this before and know of a workaround?

mike1597

Re: Problem with new streaming stick on Philips TV

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:26 pm

khalilk wrote:
Figured out the CEC was the problem with the tv powering back on again so I did a factory reset on the stick, went through the setup again, skipped syncing the remote and voila, back in business.  At least until I turned off the tv again.  

I would try disabling OneTouchPlay on Roku.

khalilk
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:42 am

mike1597 wrote:

Thanks for the tip.  I didn't know about that setting.  
Update:  The stick ended up not working right on the other tv either - gave me a HDCP unauthorized error in both Hulu and Netflix.  Took it back and got another one just to see if maybe the HDMI port on it was bad.  New one does the same thing - works great as long I never turn off the tv.  So back to the store it goes until I need a new tv I guess.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:48 am

Please provide the make/model of the Phillips TV.  If  you haven't returned the Roku yet, please go to Settings > System > About and post the Serial Number and DeviceID as well.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

khalilk
Topic Author

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:53 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
Please provide the make/model of the Phillips TV.  If  you haven't returned the Roku yet, please go to Settings > System > About and post the Serial Number and DeviceID as well.

The tv model# is 32PFL3504D/F7.  DeviceID is CT3782684216.  Serial Number is YF0022684216.  Thanks!

mike1597

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:19 am

khalilk wrote:
mike1597 wrote:

Thanks for the tip.  I didn't know about that setting.  
Update:  The stick ended up not working right on the other tv either - gave me a HDCP unauthorized error in both Hulu and Netflix.  Took it back and got another one just to see if maybe the HDMI port on it was bad.  New one does the same thing - works great as long I never turn off the tv.  So back to the store it goes until I need a new tv I guess.

Another thing to try...  Roku Settings under Display type change from Auto detect to 720p TV.

khalilk
Topic Author

Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:10 am

mike1597 wrote:
Another thing to try...  Roku Settings under Display type change from Auto detect to 720p TV.

Thanks, but I did do that from the beginning. It would only get through the setup process on 720p.  It works fine at that setting until you turn off the tv, then back to format not supported.  It makes me wonder if it is somehow "forgetting" the display type setting when the tv is turned off.

mike1597

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:43 am

khalilk wrote:
mike1597 wrote:

Thanks, but I did do that from the beginning. It would only get through the setup process on 720p.  It works fine at that setting until you turn off the tv, then back to format not supported.  It makes me wonder if it is somehow "forgetting" the display type setting when the tv is turned off.

Are there any firmware updates for your TV?  Although not ideal, perhaps get the Express+ and use the composite A/V ports until either Roku comes up with a fix, or you replace the TV.  Sorry I'm all out of suggestions.  

khalilk
Topic Author

Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:04 pm

mike1597 wrote:
khalilk wrote:
mike1597 wrote:

Are there any firmware updates for your TV?  Although not ideal, perhaps get the Express+ and use the composite A/V ports until either Roku comes up with a fix, or you replace the TV.  Sorry I'm all out of suggestions.  

I checked the firmware and there is an update but it supposedly only addressed a "humming sound" so I don't think it would have any impact on this problem.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I did think of trying the express+ and may end up doing that.