Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

kg7
Topic Author

Roku Express+ Audio Issue

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:28 am

Hello,

We just purchased a new Roku Express+. We have the HDMI hooked directly to our TV, sound muted. The composite a/v cable is connected to our audio receiver.

With this setup, we can watch HD video, while at the same time, listen to the audio as it is going through our sound system. However, the audio eventually cuts out. Only replugging the HDMI cable or restarting the Roku will restore the audio, and then, only temporarily, until it cuts out again.

The Roku works normally when viewing/listening, either only through composite A/V, or only via HDMI (TV unmuted).

Any advice for how to make my preferred setup for audio work with HDMI video, without purchasing an additional HTML audio extractor?

Thanks!

wallydog

Re: Roku Express+ Audio Issue

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:09 pm

Have you tried going to settings audio and selecting stereo instead of auto ?

dfgsrzwer

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:15 pm

Yeah, if using composite audio or HDMI on a 2 speaker TV, using "stereo" is better than "auto" or (definitely do not use*) "dolby" or "dts". Auto may work depending on your AVR, but don't count on it. If your AVR supports it, ProLogic II** or Neo6 will be almost indistinguishable from "true" 5.1 anyway.

Of course, the best solution is use HDMI on your AVR rather than composite.

*even if using HDMI Dolby/DTS should not be used unless nothing else works
**sometimes even PL1 sounds "better" (better is a subjective word that too many people use as an objective) than true DD/DD+ or DPL2; of course none of those compare to 5 channel PCM like Xbox supports...unfortunately few apps support (Youtube being a major exception) it as well

kg7
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:11 pm

@wallydog Yes, I tried setting both Audio and HDMI audio to stereo (auto off) -- same results. A/V audio works for a while, then cuts out.

twiceover

Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:13 pm

I believe this has been a known issue (or maybe "as expected") since the 4th Generation units?

I could be wrong, but I've seen this posted before with no real solution.

mike1597

Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:33 pm

kg7 wrote:
Hello,

The Roku works normally when viewing/listening, either only through composite A/V, or only via HDMI (TV unmuted).

Any advice for how to make my preferred setup for audio work with HDMI video, without purchasing an additional HTML audio extractor?

I wouldn't expect Roku Express+ to output both HDMI and composite A/V at the same time.  Likely it is one or the other but not both.  Does your TV have an audio output connection, if so then perhaps you can use your TV audio output connection for sound.

kg7
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Thank you @twiceover. @mike1597 That's what's weird, is that it does output both composite and HDMI simultaneously, but then it seems like the HDMI eventually takes precedence, and the composite cuts out.

dfgsrzwer

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:36 pm

kg7 wrote:
Thank you @twiceover. @mike1597 That's what's weird, is that it does output both composite and HDMI simultaneously, but then it seems like the HDMI eventually takes precedence, and the composite cuts out.

If that's true, then the only real solution is use an AVR that has HDMI input. Note that I have used DVD recorders (basicly a crude AVR with composite 480i upscaled to 480p and 2 channel PCM and Dolby PL1 only) in the past, using auto and not stereo, and have had no problems. You may have to just adjust to your own hardware idiosyncrasies.