Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Andl2ea

Re: Roku 8.0 software issues

Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:21 pm

Still no update on the release for this update "fix"? Ive been patient but its been almost a full week without being able to watch tv that Im paying for. This is very frustrating. I just switched to Roku about two months ago and this is really making me regret doing it. Are you going to buy us all new tvs that can use the required viewing format that is for this update? I know I cant afford a new tv....which is why I dont pay for cable anymore and went to Roku. Please fix this soon. Your post of not being able to discuss a date for this fix to come out really shows the lack of importance your company gives to customer service.

Nebo1ss

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:49 am

I have been seeing two problems since updating to version 8.

1. Occasional flashing and HDCP errors. I got around this by changing video settings from 4k, HDR, 60Hz to 4K, HDR, 30Hz. Never saw this before and nothing has changed at my end. Plus my cables are certified HDMI.

2. Navigation is much slower and seeing blank screen between functions. For example if I exit Utube to home screen get black screen for two or three seconds before home screen comes up. If I navigate to any app i get slow response and blank screen while waiting. Everything works it is just so slow.

Nebo1ss

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:54 am

rockou wrote:
Almost every device nowadays have forced updates. The problem isn't them being forced, the problem is the quality control of the updates.
What is wrong with your Ultra and 4k? It is working well on mine.

I disagree with this statement completely.

I have the following equipment in my system and they all notify me but require that I agree to updates.

ARCAM AVR
OPPO 203
SHIELD
SYNOLOGY NAS
SAMSUNG TV
MAC MINI COMPUTER
LOGITECH Harmony

rockou

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:27 am

You can disagree if you like but that's the way it is.

Like I said almost every device nowadays have forced updates. The problem isn't with that, the problem is with the quality control.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI

JinNE

Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:01 am

rockou wrote:

Like I said almost every device nowadays have forced updates. The problem isn't with that, the problem is with the quality control.

No doubt QC is a big problem with this release but I'd suggest the bigger problem was Roku engineers thinking they could make their devices so smart and automatically set output resolution.  This is something a human Roku owner has always done but apparently they didn't trust us to do something so basic.  The result was a totally botched rollout of a major OS upgrade and many, many upset users.   Hey Roku....please trust us stupid humans to set our own screen resolution like we always have.   We can handle it.  Thank you. 

Keeweekid

Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:56 am

I have a philips tv model 32pfl3504d/f7
Serial: DS1A0937277458
Roku model 3700x serial 7g2gag270613

I have to reset the tv to 720p each time the TV is turned off then on again. I have tried a manual update and it says everything is OK and up-to-date, but then I turned it off, then turn on, and I get the same error message: “ format not supported.” Please help. Thanks!

edinaz40

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:51 am

I have a Roku Premier+ and a Samsung HDTV.  The 8.0.0 4108 release totally messed up the "Display type" resolution setting.  The problem is that the Roku tries to "Auto Detect" the resolution each time you turn the TV on even though the "Display type" is NOT set to "Auto Detect".   The "Auto detect" code also has problems and will not set the resolution to the best value. WHY WOULD YOU HAVE A "Display type" SETTING AND THEN TOTALLY DISREGARD WHAT THE USER HAS SET THE DISPLAY TYPE SETTING TO???? 

Roku Premier+
sn YR00CC638226

acejavelin

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:03 am

Keeweekid wrote:
I have a philips tv model 32pfl3504d/f7
Serial: DS1A0937277458
Roku model 3700x serial 7g2gag270613

I have to reset the tv to 720p  each time the TV is turned off then on again. I have tried a manual update and it says everything is OK and up-to-date, but then I turned it off, then turn on, and I get the same error message: “ format not supported.”  Please help. Thanks!

This is exactly the same problem I am having with the same TV... How are you resetting the TV to 720p? 

jsmiddleton4

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:40 am

No doubt quality control.....

Well that’s assuming ROKU has ever had any to have a problem with.  What a sloppy company.

Nebo1ss

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:52 am

rockou wrote:

I listed seven pieces of equipment in my set up that does not do this. Perhaps you can list some other than Roku that does this?

Premiere+4630

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:13 pm

I started a thread about another gremlin that appeared with OS 8, and the official advice I was given was to "Try a brand new cable!" and "Check for debris in the HDMI port!"

Gimme a break... :roll:

I've had that Premiere running for a year without ever seeing the purple tinting, but all of a sudden and mysteriously after the OS 8 update, it started happening...but it's a cable issue? Pretty crazy coincidence.

twiceover

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:34 pm

Premiere+4630 wrote:
I started a thread about another gremlin that appeared with OS 8, and the official advice I was given was to "Try a brand new cable!" and "Check for debris in the HDMI port!"

I've had that Premiere running for a year without ever seeing the purple tinting, but all of a sudden and mysteriously after the OS 8 update, it started happening...but it's a cable issue? Pretty crazy coincidence.

You mean the trouble shooting step they wanted you to try?  Start with the basics, go from there.

Premiere+4630

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:52 pm

twiceover wrote:
Premiere+4630 wrote:

You mean the trouble shooting step they wanted you to try?  Start with the basics, go from there.

Oh please, I've been at this stuff professionally for two decades, I'm no neophyte. The very first thing I always do is rule everything else out. I don't need to be read "troubleshooting" steps off flash cards telling me to "unplug and plug the device back in!" And no, it's not arrogance on my part, it's just the reality of the situation.

twiceover

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Premiere+4630 wrote:
twiceover wrote:
Premiere+4630 wrote:

Oh please, I've been at this stuff professionally for two decades, I'm no neophyte. The very first thing I always do is rule everything else out. I don't need to be read "troubleshooting" steps off flash cards telling me to "unplug and plug the device back in!" And no, it's not arrogance on my part, it's just the reality of the situation.

And the Roku rep is supposed to know your an A/V "Guru" how?

atc98092

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:53 pm

You are completely dismissing any assistance being offered. Based on your post count, we could easily believe you don't have much experience. And yes, replacing the HDMI cable is quite often the first suggestion that will be offered, because it is easy to do and often solves the issue. All we offer is our experience and knowledge, and if you don't want it, fine. And yes, your response was a little on the arrogant side. But we now know that do have knowledge and background in the equipment. So OK, you've examined your cables.
You didn't tell us what type of display you are connected to, so we don't know if it's something related to 4K or not. If it was 4K, we would suggest trying to change the advanced Video Settings to a different color space than the default. You did say that you usually use an AVR, but also tried direct. Good thing to try, but could you also tell us the make and model of AVR? Some brands (particularly Denon) seem to have an issue with the Roku HDMI chip.
All we really know at this point is that the 8.0 firmware has some HDMI bugs. Roku is aware and for at least some of the issues have a new release being prepared. We don't know when they will be available, as they never announce that in advance.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.