Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Premiere+4630

Re: Roku 8.0 software issues

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:57 pm

I'm going to refrain from posting after this, as I feel that I'm probably better off passively reading these forums and submitting any future bug requests directly to Roku.

That being said, the most obvious and salient point I was making was that nothing has changed with my Premiere setup in nearly a year, the issue only manifested itself post-OS 8.0 update. All hardware issues have been ruled out. Period, end of story.

There are clearly issues with HDMI and OS 8.0, and I was attempting to document clearly one additional issue. If my input is unwelcome by the general public on this forum, I'll simply find a way to contact the Roku engineers/coders directly.

Good day to you all.

Footwedge

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:42 pm

I guess my biggest complaint about this whole affair is that there is no direct way of dealing with Roku. The customer service portal is worthless, as we can all attest; you can't email, you can't call, we have to deal with issues through a blog interface? What the flower kind of customer service is that?! 

I note that Roku stock has sky rocketed in the past week; good for them, but if this issue and their whole pee poor customer service process were to become common knowledge you have to wonder how that might affect their reputation. Just saying . . .  

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Footwedge wrote:
I guess my biggest complaint about this whole affair is that there is no direct way of dealing with Roku. The customer service portal is worthless, as we can all attest; you can't email, you can't call, we have to deal with issues through a blog interface? What the flower kind of customer service is that?! 

I note that Roku stock has sky rocketed in the past week; good for them, but if this issue and their whole pee poor customer service process were to become common knowledge you have to wonder how that might affect their reputation. Just saying . . .  

https://support.roku.com/contactus <-- This will get you basic support, but since Roku support already knows about the 8.0 issues, calling/emailing support won't do you any good. You'll get a level 1 tech taking you through a script.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

Keeweekid

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:35 pm

acejavelin wrote:
Keeweekid wrote:
I have a philips tv model 32pfl3504d/f7
Serial: DS1A0937277458
Roku model 3700x serial 7g2gag270613

I have to reset the tv to 720p  each time the TV is turned off then on again. I have tried a manual update and it says everything is OK and up-to-date, but then I turned it off, then turn on, and I get the same error message: “ format not supported.”  Please help. Thanks!

This is exactly the same problem I am having with the same TV... How are you resetting the TV to 720p? 

I'm not really sure, Acejavelin....When I get the error message, I simply reset by pushing a pin in the back and it returns me to the factory setting Roku welcome.  I have to input my wifi password each time, then it scrolls through the resolution settings.  After it tries automatically to choose,  I hit enter, I think, which takes me to to a the other option, which is only 720p.  After that, I have to log in to log in online and enter the intital code.  I have probably done this each night since the bug started, and only recently I have noticed that the reset button doesn't guarantee I'll move on to the setup.  Sometimes I have to push the reset 2-3 times.  I'm new to trying to troubleshoot these issues.  Are we just waiting to see if one day it turns on normally again?  Or do we have to keep trying each day to see if the setting holds?

Nebo1ss

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:05 am

Premiere+4630 wrote:
I started a thread about another gremlin that appeared with OS 8, and the official advice I was given was to "Try a brand new cable!" and "Check for debris in the HDMI port!"

Gimme a break... :roll:

I've had that Premiere running for a year without ever seeing the purple tinting, but all of a sudden and mysteriously after the OS 8 update, it started happening...but it's a cable issue? Pretty crazy coincidence.

I also started seeing Purple screens after the update this was an intermittent flashing purple not a permanent purple. I also never had this problem before and I am using a certified cable which came with the certification label. I changed the video setting from 4K HDR 60 HZ to 4K HDR 30 HZ and the problem has gone. There are many other changes I could have made to reduce the bandwidth like switching off HDR.  This is something they introduced with this software update.

tenbucks

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:36 am

tenbucks wrote:
On local media via Plex, I'm seeing about 5 to 10% of the lines on external subtitles delayed by about 0.5 seconds. Does not happen at all when viewed via a Fire TV or at a relative's Roku that is still on version 7.x.

Subtitle delay is also there during USB playback via Roku Media Player and it may be more than just 5 or 10% of the time. On some tests, it feels like it happens most of the time. Just wanted to give an update on the situation without it getting missed.

tenbucks

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:35 pm

Screen turns purple for a bit between the time I click on a YouTube video and the video starts playing. Also noticed it sometimes on Plex. Don't really use many other apps so don't know if it's present elsewhere. Have switched HDMI cables and it did not solve it.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:00 pm

For users that need to use 720P please try this sequence mentioned in this post when it appears you've been switched to Auto:
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 59#p576734

maven12

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:47 pm

I have the Roku Premiere+ running the latest version 8.0 release. I have an LG OLEDB7 4K TV, which supports HDR connected through a Yamaha RX-679 AV receiver, which supports 4K, HDCP 2.2 and HDR. If I set the Roku to 4K HDR (30Hz or 60Hz), I get wide lines of noise running down the screen. In either of these modes, Netflix will display 4K options. Also, I am getting "HDCP unauthorized content disabled" errors on certain YouTube content e.g. Late Night with Stephen Colbert.As a workaround, I can switch to 4K 30Hz (i.e. no HDR support). This works fine, but I now cannot see 4K content on Netflix - it only shows HD content. I have updated my firmware on my TV and Yamaha receiver.

In a Roku-related forum, I saw that one can get to a Secret Screen that shows whether the HDR support is 4.2.2 or 4.2.0. In my case, it's 4.2.2 on and 4.2.0 off, but I can't see any menu option in that screen to switch to 4.2.0. I don't know if version 8.0 has removed this ability, but it's annoying I can't try it.

So I am hoping Roku will rapidly bring out a new build that is more stable. I have both a 4K AV receiver and excellent OLED TV that can't really use the Roku. I've loved using Roku devices for many years and I bought the Premiere+ model to take full advantage of my new 4K setup. But right now, I'm actually using the Netflix built into the TV instead, which is a waste.

Waiting for Roku now...

rockou

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:28 pm

Changing from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 isn't in any secret menu now. It is available in settings, system, advanced settings.. I think that is the correct path, I can't check because my wife is watching Directv right now. ;)
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI

hardytm426

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:33 pm

RokuDale wrote:
For users that need to use 720P please try this sequence mentioned in this post when it appears you've been switched to Auto:
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 59#p576734

No good for me.  All this does is set my display to 1080P which I cannot use.  I need to force the display to 720P or my AV receive cannot upscale it properly to 1080i for my TV.  Just in case I was doing something wrong, I tried this three times from various spots in the menus, and the result was the same every time.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:18 pm

How are you determining that the Roku is set to 1080P?
When doing the remote button sequence, make sure the TV and AVR are set to display whatever is coming out of the Roku. Do not switch hdmi inputs or turn anything in the system off.

hardytm426

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:58 pm

RokuDale wrote:
How are you determining that the Roku is set to 1080P?
When doing the remote button sequence, make sure the TV and AVR are set to display whatever is coming out of the Roku. Do not switch hdmi inputs or turn anything in the system off.

The only way I have of doing this so I can see it, is to connect the Roku directly to a computer monitor with an HDMI input that will do any of the resolutions that the Roku can output.

Kb921

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:07 pm

Since updating to version 8.0.0 my remote does not stay synced. Fresh batteries, same issue.

hardytm426

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:11 pm

OK, for giggles, I decided to keep the AV receiver set to my Blu-Ray input and go through the sequence again.  Then I switched over to the Roku, and VOILA!  I now have video output via the Roku through my AV receiver.  How long this is going to last, who knows, but if the sequence above will correct it again until a "real" fix can be deployed, I can deal with it.