Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
pope411
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:09 am

Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:25 am

I have been a Roku user for 5 years, first with the HD and then with the 3, but am now ready to upgrade an old 37" TV to a 55" TV and wanted a Roku TV instead of using my Roku 3 on a new TV.  The thing is, the headphone on the remote is a must have, the app does not work as nice for our situation.  As near I as can tell, you need to pay a $100-$200 premium to get a Roku TV with an enhanced remote with the headphone jack, at least from the TCL's I'm looking at.  Am I understanding this wrong?  Info below:

TCL 55S403 & 55S405  $399 everywhere but none have an enhanced remote.

TCL 55C803  $449 @ Costco, standard remote
TCL 55C807 $699 @ Amazon, enhanced remote

55P605 $599 @ Best Buy, standard remote
55P607 $649 @ Amazon, enhanced remote

At this point I'm just going to buy a 55" TV  for $300 on black Friday and throw a $100 Roku Ultra on there, I'd probably have a better TV for cheaper, and a better upgrade path.
TCL Roku TV 55"
Retired: Roku 3 and Roku HD (3100R)
 
mike1597
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:29 pm

Re: Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:55 am

pope411 wrote:
At this point I'm just going to buy a 55" TV  for $300 on black Friday and throw a $100 Roku Ultra on there, I'd probably have a better TV for cheaper, and a better upgrade path.

Last I checked Amazon has 2016 Roku Premiere+ for $50, it also has remote headphone jack.  The 2017 Ultra does have a power button on the remote so it depends if a power button is worth $50 more.  The 2016 Premiere+ will turn TV on and control volume through HDMI-CEC.  The 2017 Ultra will turn TV on & off, and control volume using IR.
 
pope411
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks Mike, that is helpful information.  Hadn't even considered going with the 2016 models, I was only looking at the new models on the Roku site.  

Somewhat related, I tried to test out private listening on my phone with the Roku app, but since I have a Roku 3 that already has a headphone jack, it does not enable the headphone button on the app, so I can't test out if I would like this way to do private listening.
TCL Roku TV 55"
Retired: Roku 3 and Roku HD (3100R)
 
pope411
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:10 am

Just following up, I just ended up buying the TCL 55S403 at Costco and using my phone with headphones.  Not as big of an issue as I thought it would be, although not nearly as nice as the dedicated headphone jack on the remote.  TV is incredible, and nice to just have to plug power into TV and go.
TCL Roku TV 55"
Retired: Roku 3 and Roku HD (3100R)
 
beq
Posts: 1164
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:26 am

I got that Costco 55C803 for a family member.  As you know it's the same TV as the C807, but the Costco variant was on sale for $250 cheaper while at the same time providing free 4yr extended warranty.  Only difference, the C803 is bundled with a RC280 TCL basic IR remote which has clackety buttons, easy to get blocked, and lacks the voice control, headphone jack and remote finder features (compared to the enhanced Wi-Fi remote).

But you can still pair the C803 with the RC126 TCL enhanced TV remote (Amazon $60) -- or the RC135 Roku Enhanced Voice Remote ($30) from 2017 Ultra if you don't need the mute button.

Image  Image

The C803 initially hides the UI menu that deals with Wi-Fi remotes, but it'll show up after the first boot-up pairing, or if you manually toggle it:

Home x 5, FF, Play, RW, Play, FF
-> "RF Remote Menu"
-> "Enable full UI support for remote"

Image



beq wrote:

https://www.roku.com/accessories/remotes

BTW the $30 RC135 "Enhanced Voice Remote" (from 2017 Ultra) can serve as a cheaper replacement for a RC126 (aka BRC64) TCL Roku TV enhanced remote.

The TV controls, voice, headphone and remote finder all work.  It just sacrifices the TCL remote's mute button for A/B gaming buttons (and a few other differences such as button shapes/placement, matte vs glossy front, flat vs rounded back, etc).

Or get the $20 RC127 "Streaming Stick Voice Remote" (from 2017 Stick) if you just need the TV buttons and voice commands.  Ditto for the RC150 remote from the Stick+.

What's interesting is that once paired, these new remotes' power and volume buttons work on the Roku TV set via Wi-Fi instead of IR, just like the original TCL enhanced remote.  IR not even an option in this case.
Last edited by beq on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 
pope411
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:39 am

Thank you for your research. Which of those remotes on the Roku site did you get the, top one or the 2nd one down?

Do you think my old Roku 3 remote will work on this TCL TV?  I guess I can give it a shot before ordering one of these.
TCL Roku TV 55"
Retired: Roku 3 and Roku HD (3100R)
 
beq
Posts: 1164
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:46 pm

I was referring to the top one on the Roku site (Roku Voice Remote with TV Power and Volume Buttons plus Gaming Buttons), mainly for the new addition of the TV power button.

Though the 2nd one down (Roku Enhanced Gaming Remote with Voice Search) should also have functional volume control, headphone jack, etc -- when used with the Roku TV.

Sorry I don't have the S403/S405 model and don't have the C803 around anymore, but I was able to pair an old Roku 3 remote to a C807 TCL TV.  Again, the old remote's side volume buttons worked just fine to control the TCL TV speakers (via Wi-Fi), when the headphone jack is not being used.  The jack worked fine, too.

So I'm hoping you'll have the same luck pairing your old remote...


EDIT:  Seems Roku has simplified their remote accessories page to just 4 models currently -- the 2017 "Streaming Stick Voice Remote" and the 2017 Ultra "Enhanced Voice Remote", plus the old-style Roku 3 enhanced remote and a basic IR remote.
Last edited by beq on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
pope411
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:00 pm

Thank you for your help. Was just able to pair my old Roku 3 remote to the 55S403 using your instructions and it works great. Way nicer than using phone for private listening and I love being able to use remote without pointing at TV.

I also ordered the remote you pointed out so we have the power button, that way we are back to one remote.

Thanks for the help.
TCL Roku TV 55"
Retired: Roku 3 and Roku HD (3100R)
 
pope411
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:33 am

Just wanted to follow up on this, I got the remote I ordered direct from Roku and it did pair with the TCL TV.  Just in case anyone stumbles upon this thread, there are a couple differences between this and the original.

- It does have the headphone jack, which is what I wanted, and it works
- It does have a microphone button for voice search, but I have yet to get it to work, the TV responds but then just spins and never recognizes what I say.
- There is no mute button on this remote.  Not a deal killer, but if you use mute a lot like I do, kinda a bummer.
- Although it does have an ON/OFF button, if the TV has been off for awhile, it will not turn the TV on.  It will turn it off off, or on if you recently turned it off.  Sometime I am going to look into.

For now, I keep both remotes around, the original for most use cause it turns is on and has the mute button, and the Enhanced for night when I want to listen on the headphones w/o needing to use a smartphone.
TCL Roku TV 55"
Retired: Roku 3 and Roku HD (3100R)
 
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5523
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:37 pm

Does anyone know of any enhanced remote that will pair with the TCL 40" (40S30)?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
 
twiceover
Posts: 1175
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:41 pm

pope411 wrote:
Just wanted to follow up on this, I got the remote I ordered direct from Roku and it did pair with the TCL TV.  Just in case anyone stumbles upon this thread, there are a couple differences between this and the original.

- It does have the headphone jack, which is what I wanted, and it works
- It does have a microphone button for voice search, but I have yet to get it to work, the TV responds but then just spins and never recognizes what I say.
- There is no mute button on this remote.  Not a deal killer, but if you use mute a lot like I do, kinda a bummer.
- Although it does have an ON/OFF button, if the TV has been off for awhile, it will not turn the TV on.  It will turn it off off, or on if you recently turned it off.  Sometime I am going to look into.

For now, I keep both remotes around, the original for most use cause it turns is on and has the mute button, and the Enhanced for night when I want to listen on the headphones w/o needing to use a smartphone.

This is because the TV turns off the Wifi connection while sleeping.  If/When you get v8 there is a menu setting for "Fast Start", enable that and your TV will always stay connected and should fix the issue with the On/Off button.
Thanks for the research.  Been thinking about getting one.  Going from the old "Point Anywhere" style to IR kinda sucks.
 
pope411
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:19 pm

twiceover wrote:
This is because the TV turns off the Wifi connection while sleeping.  If/When you get v8 there is a menu setting for "Fast Start", enable that and your TV will always stay connected and should fix the issue with the On/Off button.

Oh good news, can you elaborate on what v8 is and where that setting is? Is it in the normal setting menu or do I have to get there through the secret setting menu?
TCL Roku TV 55"
Retired: Roku 3 and Roku HD (3100R)
 
pope411
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:20 pm

jeffrok wrote:
Does anyone know of any enhanced remote that will pair with the TCL 40" (40S30)?

I'm guessing the one I got that beq suggested would work, with the exceptions I listed, it works with my 55S403 
TCL Roku TV 55"
Retired: Roku 3 and Roku HD (3100R)
 
twiceover
Posts: 1175
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:32 pm

pope411 wrote:
twiceover wrote:
This is because the TV turns off the Wifi connection while sleeping.  If/When you get v8 there is a menu setting for "Fast Start", enable that and your TV will always stay connected and should fix the issue with the On/Off button.

Oh good news, can you elaborate on what v8 is and where that setting is? Is it in the normal setting menu or do I have to get there through the secret setting menu?

Sorry "Version 8" which is releasing in batches to different devices.  You'll get it "Eventually" if you don't already have it.  The setting is in Settings->System->Power->Fast Start  It basically leaves the TV in an always ready state.
 
pope411
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:53 pm

Thank you! I have v8 and was able to select FastStart. Also found a new setting to turn off LED indicator which bugged me. This is such a sweet setup now!
TCL Roku TV 55"
Retired: Roku 3 and Roku HD (3100R)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests