Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jstaszko
Topic Author

Roku stick and projector

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:47 pm

I have a Roku stick and a projector with no audio out.  Can I split my HDMI from the Roku and send 1 output to the projector and one to the HDMI in on my home theater box?  Do they make such a thing that splits, not switches?  I'd hate to get rid of the projector but all it has is input, nothing out.
Thanks,
Jim

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku stick and projector

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm

Can't you just do HDMI to your home theater, and then HDMI out from your theater to your projector?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

atc98092

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:44 pm

Yes, there are splitters for that, but I agree with Jeff. If your AVR has HDMI in, it must have HDMI out. I've connected my Stick directly to my AVR before. Or is it one of those all in one boxes with the receiver and a Blu Ray player all in one box? Even so, it still has an HDMI out. Or were you thinking of a box that takes the HDMI audio and converts it to optical or analog? They have those as well.
Since you have a projector, I very politely suggest you get a better audio-visual receiver. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

mkiker2089

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:07 pm

As someone who sells AV equipment I understand the dilema. Audio equipment typically wants to be first and hopefully support direct pass through. I however want my video equipment to come first as the video is much more likely to get messed up than the audio. Projectors typically only support the former, device > avr > projector

I am a fan of ARC HDMI personally but projectors don't support it because the usual customer for projectors will want as few wires as possible going to it. ARC requires two wires where AVR pass through is only one.

In short you are going to have to find a good AVR that will pass 4k video through unmolested. It isn't as easy as some make it out to be but it's really the only answer.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

atc98092

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:11 am

mkiker2089 wrote:
As someone who sells AV equipment I understand the dilema. Audio equipment typically wants to be first and hopefully support direct pass through. I however want my video equipment to come first as the video is much more likely to get messed up than the audio. Projectors typically only support the former, device > avr > projector

I am a fan of ARC HDMI personally but projectors don't support it because the usual customer for projectors will want as few wires as possible going to it. ARC requires two wires where AVR pass through is only one.

In short you are going to have to find a good AVR that will pass 4k video through unmolested. It isn't as easy as some make it out to be but it's really the only answer.

What are you talking about, ARC requiring two wires? ARC uses the HDMI cable feeding the display to return audio to the AVR. There's no second cable.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

mkiker2089

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:29 am

atc98092 wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:

What are you talking about, ARC requiring two wires? ARC uses the HDMI cable feeding the display to return audio to the AVR. There's no second cable.

You are forgetting the source. We are talking total solution here. ARC to a projector with video first requires TWO (2) wires. Source and an arc running back to the audio. I prefer this set up. Projectors usually want video AFTER the sound to reduce wires required to one(1) which is why the projector doesn't have audio output on it. Most projectors are designed to be part of a media room with a high end AVR doing to switching and feeding.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

atc98092

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:52 am

I wasn't forgetting the source, I was assuming the source would be connected to the AVR, then the cable to the projector. Yes, if you are feeding the projector directly from the source then there has to be another cable somewhere. Doesn't matter if it's something returning from the projector, a second cable (most likely optical) from the source to the AVR, or add even more cables if you use an HDMI splitter between the source and the projector to pull the audio out. And since we are discussing a Stick, there is no way to get audio from it except via HDMI. So there has to be a splitter or AVR in there somewhere. 
Dan