Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mrjlturner
Topic Author

New HDMI streaming stick-buffering, please help!

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:50 pm

After working w/ wifi on a professional basis, it amazes me that ROKU would even attempt to support home users and their wifi issues. RF is SO extremely complex when it comes to diagnosing root cause for issues. Most of the time, it is purely RF band saturation in your environment. Here's a great video which talks about channel bonding (which was mentioned in this thread) and when to use it, and when not to. ***LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl5fvFPSTM8 ***  Great video for the nerds out there! Basically, 2.4 should never use channel bonding because of the limited RF spectrum and channel width. 5Ghz is good for channel bonding, but ROKU units DO NOT SUPPORT channel bonding, so if it is enabled on 5Ghz, you may not even see the SSID. I've been playing around with this today using an Aruba 225 AP, and have found these two items to be true. So, I'm sticking my ROKU Premier+ units on the 2.4 spectrum SSID, and reserving the 5Ghz SSID for devices that can support channel bonding (for the extra throughput that I'm paying for.)
My ROKU Info:
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Spectrum Internet (100 Mbps / 10 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: New HDMI streaming stick-buffering, please help!

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:58 pm

mrjlturner wrote:
After working w/ wifi on a professional basis, it amazes me that ROKU would even attempt to support home users and their wifi issues. RF is SO extremely complex when it comes to diagnosing root cause for issues. Most of the time, it is purely RF band saturation in your environment. Here's a great video which talks about channel bonding (which was mentioned in this thread) and when to use it, and when not to. ***LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl5fvFPSTM8 ***  Great video for the nerds out there! Basically, 2.4 should never use channel bonding because of the limited RF spectrum and channel width. 5Ghz is good for channel bonding, but ROKU units DO NOT SUPPORT channel bonding, so if it is enabled on 5Ghz, you may not even see the SSID. I've been playing around with this today using an Aruba 225 AP, and have found these two items to be true. So, I'm sticking my ROKU Premier+ units on the 2.4 spectrum SSID, and reserving the 5Ghz SSID for devices that can support channel bonding (for the extra throughput that I'm paying for.)

You've replied to a very old thread.. yikes.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

mrjlturner
Topic Author

Re: New HDMI streaming stick-buffering, please help!

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:52 pm

jeffrok wrote:
mrjlturner wrote:

You've replied to a very old thread.. yikes.

You never know who may benefit from a little know-how :)
My ROKU Info:
Spectrum Internet (100 Mbps / 10 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime