Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ChrisL56
Topic Author

Cannot use brand new Stick+

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:28 am

I received a new Stick + and when I went to set it up, it needs an extender.  Roku, of course, is out of them.  What makes this really frustraing is that they will not back order them  I have to log in every couple of days, fill out the entire order form and then wait to get a message as to whether they are in stock.  This is TERRIBLE customer service.  

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Cannot use brand new Stick+

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:12 am

They're all over Amazon for 5 bucks, if you have an immediate need for one.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Streams

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:25 am

This is just my opinion, but I don't think it's fair to blame Roku because your TV is setup in a way that won't work with it.  Roku is going above and beyond offering a free extender.  You can buy your own if you need one for your TV.

mike1597

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:44 am

If you want it today most Walmart's have 3 foot HDMI extension cables for $5.  A 3 foot cable will give better positioning options for best reception than the 6 inch Roku cable.

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:11 pm

Streams wrote:
This is just my opinion, but I don't think it's fair to blame Roku because your TV is setup in a way that won't work with it.  Roku is going above and beyond offering a free extender.  You can buy your own if you need one for your TV.

I couldn't disagree more. Roku should include the extender with every stick like Amazon does (or at least they did when I got my Fire stick).

-JT

Streams

Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:44 pm

renojim wrote:
Streams wrote:

I couldn't disagree more.  Roku should include the extender with every stick like Amazon does (or at least they did when I got my Fire stick).

-JT

Why?
AV equipment classically doesn't come with cables, even those types of products that always needs cables to work.
Why would a Stick based product come with a cable that only a small portion of people would need?  Why not expect those people to purchase the cable only if they need it?  Why blame the manufacturer when it's the person's responsibility to order a product that will work their their TV?

beq

Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:54 pm

Given the extra effort to process each request and ship the extender separately, I wonder if Roku would still lose money if they had just bundled it in for all?

I feel kinda bad though because I've usually requested it whenever I got a Stick (I buy in batches so I requested for each batch at once).  Must've accumulated 10-15 of them, just in case a family member's TV requires it.

But turns out no one have really needed them thus far.  Most don't even want to keep the extender, so I just tossed them all in a bag...

P.S.  Interestingly the much cheaper Express line bundles a solid 6ft HDMI cable (+ composite for the Plus), but not the more expensive models.