Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Cp+o
Topic Author

TCL optical audio issue

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:24 pm

I bought a TCL 55 inch P series tv and the Vizio sb3621n-e8m sound bar.  The sound bar doesn’t have an hdmi connection, so for digital audio, the only option is the optical audio cable.  I hooked it up and got nothing.  Sound bar doesn’t even acknowledge a connection let alone produce sound.  Called Vizio and TCL and no solution. I tried the cable box to the sound bar via optical audio and that work, so it seems like the TV is the issue.  Anyone else have this problem and know of a solution? Right now I only can get sound via an auxiliary cable and am ready to start returning items. 

DrSmith

Re: TCL optical audio issue

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:43 am

I have a TCL 55 and am successfully using the optical audio output.  You've probably tried everything, but here's what works for me: 
  Settings->Audio->TV speakers (Disabled)
  Settings->Audio->Audio mode (Stereo)
  Settings->Audio->S/PDIF and ARC (PCM-Stereo)
Have you tried fixed audio output setting values instead of auto-detect? 

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:05 am

Not sure if your Vizio sound bar is like mine, but mine has different input settings controllable by either the remote or the button on top of the sound bar. Have you made sure that the optical input is what's been selected for sound?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Cp+o
Topic Author

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:36 am

Thanks to those who responded. I’d tried all the things you suggested before I posted. I figured out the issue. You can’t have anything plugged in the HDMI ARC port when you want to use the digital optical cable (why is this not in the manual or suggested when I called TCL?). Once I removed the device from that HDMI port, it worked. Now if I could just get the sound bar to automatically power on when the tv is powered on, I’d be in heaven.

gadrago

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:13 am

It is possible to have an optical cable and a HDMI cable from the ARC input on a TCL 55P605 set attached to an A/V receiver simultaneously, but you will only get sound from either one or the other, depending upon what settings are enabled for CEC and ARC in the TV and in the receiver.  With CEC and ARC enabled on both TV and receiver, sound from the TV and its Roku applications comes through HDMI; when CEC and ARC are disabled, sound comes through the optical cable to the same receiver source input (TV= AV4 on my Yamaha receiver).  CEC is a prerequisite for ARC (you can have CEC control without ARC, but not ARC without CEC control being enabled). CEC and ARC is a dicey proposition depending upon the particular pieces of equipment being connected (works for some equipment combinations, but not reliably for others).  I attached optical first, then HDMI/ARC just to experiment, and verified the current source of TV sound by disconnecting either the optical cable or the HDMI cable from the receiver. In normal operation both cables are attached from TV to receiver.

It's the CEC function through a HDMI connection that would allow the soundbar to power on with the TV.  CEC control is not possible with just an optical connection.

shaharp

Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:52 pm

So...  What if I'm not using HDMI at all.?

I have a TCL TV with Roku, and a soundbar.  They are connected via Optical cable.  The soundbar has no HDMI connection.  

I want the Soundbar to turn on automatically when the TV turns on.  And volume to be controlled by the Roku remote.  Is this possible? 

WhereYou

Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:10 am

shaharp wrote:

I have a TCL TV with Roku, and a soundbar.  They are connected via Optical cable.  The soundbar has no HDMI connection.  

I want the Soundbar to turn on automatically when the TV turns on.  And volume to be controlled by the Roku remote.  Is this possible? 

As the soundbar has no HDMI, you need the HDMI Converter to extract the audio from the Roku. 
Roku-->HDMI Converter-->TCL TV,  and use the optical cable connect the HDMI convert to the soundbar, you will get what you want.

atc98092

Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:11 am

shaharp wrote:

The only way to control one device from another is via HDMI CEC. I know of no way you can control your soundbar from the TV.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

donjit

Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:54 am

I have the TCL R617 and I have the Vizio SB3621n-E8 36" 2.1 Channel Soundbar System.  This soundbar has no HDMI so I'm using the optical connection. Bought an HDMI ARC Audio adapter.  Here's my connection:

Soundbar to HDMI ARC Audio adapter via optical cable --> HDMI ARC Audio adapter via HDMI-ARC on TV.  I am able to get the sound to come through on the soundbar but the ROKU TV remote can't control the volume of the soundbar.  The HDMI setting is set to 2.0 and CEC is picking up the Soundbar.

Also, when turning on the volume using the TV remote, it would only go to 21 (this has no effect on soundbar volume since as previously stated, the tv remote can't seem to control the volume up/down or turn it on).

Any idea why the ARC is not turning the sound bar on when I turn the TV and why I can't adjust the soundbar volume via the TV remote?

Thanks for any insight on this.

ajtracey

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:11 am

Just bought a TCL 6 series, I have an older home theatre system that was installed with the house we recently moved into.  I can take the analog signal from the TCL and plug it into the receiver and get stereo sound, but I cannot get the digital sound to work. My stereo receiver has a digital coaxial input, I purchased a optical to coax converter but I cannot for the life of me get the sound to come out of my stereo from the TCL tv. The TV does not seem to recognize the optical audio signal (yes the optical light is on).  I have tried different optical cords, bought another converter, tried all the sound settings mentioned earlier. I called TCL they had no new advice.   Any help would be appreciated. 

gadrago

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:38 am

@ajtracy  It would be helpful to know the make/model of your receiver.

ajtracey

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:01 am

Its  Denon receiver from 2006, not sure the exact model at the moment, the house was wired with audio with built in speakers when it was built.  The receiver is in the basement, the tv/speakers are in the family room

gadrago

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:32 pm

@ajtracey It may be that an online manual does not exist for a Denon receiver from 2006 for consultation, even if you supply the necessary receiver model number.  Another kink may be distance limitations since you now reveal that the television and receiver are on different floors.  What is your cable connection between floors- optical or coaxial digital, and at what distance?  Two scenarios depending upon answer:
1) Short optical cable from TV to converter with converter at TV end- long coaxial digital cable between floors to receiver.
2) Long optical cable from TV between floors to converter at receiver end- short coaxial digital cable from converter to receiver.
The second scenario is more subject to distance limitations, if over the recommended 10 meter maximum distance specification for optical digital cables without a repeater or signal booster.

ajtracey

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:47 pm

It is a short optical cord to the converter with a longer coaxial cord to the receiver.  The analog output via the 3.5mm headphone jack has no issues.

gadrago

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:51 am

@ajtracey  Not much further you can take this in problem determination with your between-floors setup.  You would need a way to show that:
1) TCL TV is outputting a valid optical signal.
2) Converter(s) are successfully converting optical signal to coaxial signal.
3) Coaxial cable between floors is transmitting a valid signal.
4) Coaxial digital input on receiver is working.
You would need to have TV and receiver co-located to verify 1) 2) and 4) by taking one or the other to the opposite location.

You have cycled through all of the settings on your TV under Settings, Audio, S/PDIF and ARC to see if you get sound on any one or more of them?