Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Legierk

Re: Audio sync issues on Roku TV (TCL 55P607)

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:25 pm

Me too? Lol. I experience EVERYTHING mentioned above. TCL 65S401>ARC>Denon 4311 using Emby mostly. Any DTS is unwatchable. Must switch TV to PCM then sync is fine.

I think this issue is related....

Pandora app.....if TV is on anything except PCM, sound will not play in stereo when receiver is in stereo. Put tv in DD+, DTS audio output, play any music on Pandora, and switch the AVR to stereo or Direct mode. It sounds as if you just unplug the center speaker. Again if I want to listen to music through any app on the tv in stereo, I must first switch the tv to output PCM. Very aggravating.

EDIT: I just fixed the stereo issue by changing from DD+,DTS to DD,DTS. In other words, NO PLUS. Now at least I can listen to music in stereo without jumping through hoops. Sorry I realize this is OT from the OP.
Last edited by Legierk on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scubastew

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:41 pm

Me too! Been having the issue since I bought the TV about 9 months ago. It usually only affected Plex, but it seems like with whatever new updates have come out that it now affects Netflix. I have to power cycle the TV for it to go away on Netflix, at least with Roku I just stop/start the movie. 

rleary

Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:23 pm

TV: TCL 55P605
Soundbar: Vizio SB4551-D5.

I was having the same audio sync issue. When I read through the entire thread, there was a suggestion to turn off Auto-Detect and select a specific audio setting.
When I specifically set Settings > Audio > S/PDIF and ARC to (Dolby D+, DTS), the issue became significantly less noticeable.
The fix needed appears to be in how Auto-Detect works, and internally detecting at TV startup, so the audio isn't getting delayed because of internal networking and checks.

darrellr

Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:13 pm

Just another data point:
TCL 65s405, Vizio SB3621n-F8m

Audio sync issues that were unpredictable.  Got it close with stereo only, but next day all was out of whack again.  Just returned the sound bar and listening to TV speakers now.  I could not get desirable results in any predictable fashion.

ibuddy66

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:30 am

I am having the same issue here. Plus I use a Bose Cinemate through optical audio hookup. Since updating my TCL Roku TV to Roku TV 5101X
Model 32S4610R
Serial 2N003Y264540
Software 8.1.0 build 4140-08
Device ID 2N6493264540

The function in the options menu that would allow you to change the audio mode from normal to movie or speech etc. No longer works unless you enable TV speakers. However my Bose specifically does not work right if they are enabled and it causes severe issues with audio sync then. It needs to be reverted to how it was in 7.7 with the audio mode options again. It is like an echo chamber too on normal now regardless of what other audio settings I chose as far as the Dolby settings go.

hatonedur

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:17 am

I'm having the exact same issues with my TCL 55P605 and Vizio soundbar (Vizio SB3651-E6) connected via optical and HDMI to ARC cable.  I've tried two separate Vizio soundbars and an LG (LG SH7B); all have similar laggy experiences.  These exact same soundbars, when moved to a Samsung 4K and LG 1080p TV exhibit zero issues when connected via optical and/or HDMI ARC.

This is absolutely a Roku problem, and it blows my mind that they are completely ignoring people complaining.  Support offers absolutely no help as they will (at best) suggest a reset of the TV instead of submitting a technical ticket to the OS team as it's an issue with Roku itself clearly!

Can they not add an A/V sync option, to speed up or slow down like every TV has had for the past 7+ years?  Ironically I've never actually had to use these options, but it would be a start.  I'm just about out of my warranty time frame, but this feels like an absolute defect and I may end up just claiming warranty on my credit card.  The TV speakers are horribly inadequate and if no sound bar works, whats the point?

Edit: I should point out that my sources are internal Roku (Plex, Emby, DirecTVNow, etc), Tivo Mini and Nvidia Shield.  ALL of them exhibit the same lag.  I have the exact same setup of nvidia shield and Tivo mini at 2 other TV's with soundbars (same Vizio model and LG that also was tested) and neither exhibit this lag.

danep

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:59 pm

For what it's worth, I've had a TCL support ticket open for a while now, they've been very inquisitive but haven't even acknowledged the issue, much less committed to any sort of fix. I pointed them to this thread as further evidence of the issue, but I'm not sure they care. I would encourage everyone else to open support tickets, it's probably the only chance of making a difference.

The only "known issue" that they were aware of was an audio delay in the clicking sounds associated with navigating the home screen. It seems bizarre to me that they would acknowledge something as trivial as that, but not the lip sync issue that makes content unwatchable.

MKlRbr

Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:04 pm

I have a Roku 65C807 and Vizio S5430 W-C2. I too have audio sync issues, hopefully this gets fixed soon :(

pdangler

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:55 am

I am having the same problem. Shouldn't this be easy to fix with a firmware update?

It's very annoying. Has anyoone had luck with a sound bar fix? I know some of them have a delay setting, though it's awfully hard to figure out which ones.

I guess I now know why the TV was so inexpensive...

blade_005

Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:13 am

pdangler wrote:
I am having the same problem. Shouldn't this be easy to fix with a firmware update?

It's very annoying. Has anyoone had luck with a sound bar fix? I know some of them have a delay setting, though it's awfully hard to figure out which ones.

I guess I now know why the TV was so inexpensive...

It is a Roku issue, not specifically a TCL TV issue. There are numerous threads in this support forum of people with external Roku devices connected to AVR systems and Soundbars with the same synch issues when using Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+ or DTS.
TCL Roku 55P605 | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL Roku 32S301

TRam

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:17 pm

I have the same issue with my TCL 55R617. I'm very unhappy with this problem. I sure hope they fix it fast. 

danep

Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:14 pm

It feels so unbelievably ridiculous to say this... but I broke down and purchased a Roku Streaming Stick+ to use with my TCL Roku TV (ugh) just to get around the audio delay, and it seems to be working. Note that I have the Streaming Stick plugged into my AVR, which then outputs HDMI to the TV, so I think the AVR is automatically taking care of the a/v sync (which it couldn't do when receiving the audio from the TV via ARC).

I can't believe that TCL is putting us in the situation of having to buy external Rokus to use with Roku TVs. I still have an open support ticket with TCL, but they haven't replied in nearly a month.

blade_005

Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:22 am

danep wrote:
It feels so unbelievably ridiculous to say this... but I broke down and purchased a Roku Streaming Stick+ to use with my TCL Roku TV (ugh) just to get around the audio delay, and it seems to be working. Note that I have the Streaming Stick plugged into my AVR, which then outputs HDMI to the TV, so I think the AVR is automatically taking care of the a/v sync (which it couldn't do when receiving the audio from the TV via ARC).

I can't believe that TCL is putting us in the situation of having to buy external Rokus to use with Roku TVs. I still have an open support ticket with TCL, but they haven't replied in nearly a month.

Are you getting 5.1 audio thru Streaming Stick+ without audio delay? If the stream is only Stereo (i.e. Most Hulu streaming content), or the TCL TV audio output is set to PCM-Stereo the delay is normally not present. Only presents itself with 5.1 Audio and System set to output Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital +. Falling back to Stereo is not an optimal or ultimate solution, but 5.1 audio is the issue.
TCL Roku 32S301

danep

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:27 am

I just confirmed that watching Netflix 5.1 content on the Streaming Stick connected to my AVR works fine. If anything, the audio might be slightly ahead of the video (opposite of the problem I had watching 5.1 content directly from the Roku TV).

You had me scared for a minute though. The way I used to test audio sync on the Roku TV was by watching "lip sync" test videos on Youtube. The Roku TV would output these in 5.1 audio even though the clips themselves were only stereo.

I was testing the same way with the Streaming Stick until today, when your comment made me realize that apparently Youtube on the streaming stick doesn't support 5.1 audio at all, it only outputs stereo PCM. That's somewhat disappointing, and it makes this problem much harder to test.

Anyway: all of this lends further evidence to my theory about what's happening here, that it's a fundamental problem with the idea of a TV playing 5.1 encoded content. There is some inherent delay (~200ms) in decoding DTS / Dolby bitstreams. Traditionally this hasn't been a problem because an external device generates the audio and video streams and sends them both to a TV or AVR via HDMI. The TV or AVR knows how much the audio stream will be delayed by this processing, so it can delay the video stream by an equivalent amount to keep the two in sync.

With these new Roku TVs that play content themselves (instead of from an external device), this paradigm isn't sustainable. The TV playing the video component of the stream has no idea how much of a delay will be introduced by the downstream AVR, so there's no way it could possibly compensate by delaying the video stream. This will simply never work, unless HDMI ARC has some sort of provision to return the AVR's internal audio delay back to the TV.

blade_005

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:50 am

danep wrote:
I just confirmed that watching Netflix 5.1 content on the Streaming Stick connected to my AVR works fine. If anything, the audio might be slightly ahead of the video (opposite of the problem I had watching 5.1 content directly from the Roku TV).

You had me scared for a minute though. The way I used to test audio sync on the Roku TV was by watching "lip sync" test videos on Youtube. The Roku TV would output these in 5.1 audio even though the clips themselves were only stereo.

I was testing the same way with the Streaming Stick until today, when your comment made me realize that apparently Youtube on the streaming stick doesn't support 5.1 audio at all, it only outputs stereo PCM. That's somewhat disappointing, and it makes this problem much harder to test.

Anyway: all of this lends further evidence to my theory about what's happening here, that it's a fundamental problem with the idea of a TV playing 5.1 encoded content. There is some inherent delay (~200ms) in decoding DTS / Dolby bitstreams. Traditionally this hasn't been a problem because an external device generates the audio and video streams and sends them both to a TV or AVR via HDMI. The TV or AVR knows how much the audio stream will be delayed by this processing, so it can delay the video stream by an equivalent amount to keep the two in sync.

With these new Roku TVs that play content themselves (instead of from an external device), this paradigm isn't sustainable. The TV playing the video component of the stream has no idea how much of a delay will be introduced by the downstream AVR, so there's no way it could possibly compensate by delaying the video stream. This will simply never work, unless HDMI ARC has some sort of provision to return the AVR's internal audio delay back to the TV.

Everything you stated sounds reasonable. But, I will say that I have the TCL 55P605 with a Vizio 5.1 soundbar connected via HDMI ARC. Are there instances where the 5.1 audio of content (OTA, HBO, Amazon, etc.) may get out of synch? YES. But, that is the exception and not the rule for most 5.1 content that I stream. A few firmware updates back it was worse, but most content now is acceptable. If I start jumping around in a stream a lot there will definitely be some slippage at some point. Exiting out of app and then back in will normally allow me to stream without incident. My Vizio soundbar has an Audio Delay feature, which I can use to snap a stream back in synch while playing, but it is normally for that stream session only. One thing I did do with my Vizio soundbar setup is turn off as many post-processing features as possible. TruVolume - OFF, MUSIC or MOVIE processing - OFF and set to DIRECT. I figured I didn't need to layer any additional post-processing delays on top of what is already an issue. Perhaps it is a placebo effect, but it seems to mitigate most issues that I was seeing with audio delay.

Obviously, a solution 'fix' from Roku and TCL is what we all want.
TCL Roku 32S301