Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

danep

Re: Audio sync issues on Roku TV (TCL 55P607)

Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:24 pm

I think you're right that this problem is intermittent and/or app-dependent, since I went back and looked at Netflix content on the TV and it was in sync this time, while Youtube was out of sync. So my testing with the external streaming stick might not be reliable. Only time will tell if it really helps :(

I did notice one odd thing during these tests. When streaming from the TCL TV via Youtube or Netflix, my AVR always received Dolby audio regardless of the source. This is striking because I've configured the TV to output Dolby+, not standard Dolby. Most of the Youtube content I was playing was in stereo, meaning the TV was actually encoding it as Dolby. Similarly, my understanding (based on this Roku documentation) is that Netflix encodes everything in Dolby+, so I should have been receiving Dolby+ in that case.

By comparison, when I streamed from the external Streaming Stick, my AVR received Dolby+ for Netflix 5.1 content and PCM for Youtube stereo content, which is as expected.

If my AVR was getting a Dolby signal from the TV, then the TV must have been up encoding stereo content to Dolby or down-encoding Dolby+ to Dolby. Dolby's own documentation says that this decoding / re-encoding process takes 219ms, which matches almost perfectly with the delay I've noticed. So I'm wondering if the root cause here is that the TCL TV is re-encoding Dolby signals even when it doesn't need to, and not introducing sufficient video delay to compensate.

I feel like I've really fallen down the rabbit hole on this one, all of the above makes sense to me but who really knows. I just wish that TCL would fix this already.

atc98092

Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:42 pm

My humble opinion: I would never trust a YouTube video for validating lip sync issues. I've seen some horrendous lip sync issues with YT videos that aren't there with any other channel.  :lol: It's most likely the video itself and not YT, but still...
If you have a Netflix account, they have a number of test pattern videos that use on-screen visuals that are timed with an audio sweep to display any potential audio sync issues. I have no idea if Amazon or other streaming source has the same sort of videos available. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

Joshinri

Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:21 pm

I have the same issues. The Series 6 Roku tv itself simply does not synch voices and lips unless you default to Stero PCM. I am stuck with a dud now.

siskiou

Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:41 am

Hi,
we are running into the same issues with a TCL 55r615 and a Denon receiver connected through HDMI ARC.
If the HDMI ARC audio is set to pcm stereo, I assume the receiver can not produce surround sound?
It shows something like PLII Cinema for some content.

Just for fun, I connected our old Roku 3 box to the receiver, and with audio set to auto detect, we can watch streamed content (mainly Plex, Amazon) without lip sync problems.
Watch the same content through the TVs Roku interface, and audio starts out in sync, but slowly starts falling behind, getting worse the longer we watch.
Backing out and restarting the content snaps it back into sync, but the cycle repeats itself.
If only we could afford a TV with similar picture quality, that's not a Roku tv, we'd do it in a heartbeat. Any suggestions?

One thing I haven't tried is just not activating the Roku on the TV. I wonder if OTA channels would be in sync then, and we could just watch our streaming through the Roku 3.
Though no 4k content with that.

jchristy

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:48 pm

I don't have a TCL TV, but have a Vizio 4k TV with a Yamaha RX-V675 and a Roku 4K model 4640 and was experiencing audio delays on all of my apps.  I found the issue to be when I had my Roku hooked up to my TV for 4k and was using the HDMI ARC to pass audio thru to my receiver for surround sound.  I had Roku on HDMI 1 on my Vizio, then HDMI OUT to my Yamaha which was set to HDMI 2 for video and AV4 for audio.  Now that I just typed that all out I can see why I had audio delays

I did this because my Yamaha was not passing the 4k resolution on HDMI2 (I think it only does 4k on HDMI1) and I was to lazy to pull out the receiver to move the cables around so I simply ran a cable from my Roku to the TV and changed the inputs around on my Harmony activity.  I immediately noticed the problem, switched it all back, and no more audio delay.

I will add that my Roku under Settings-System-Advanced System Settings-Advanced Display Settings-Auto Adjust display refresh rate is set to disabled.  Under Audio settings on the Roku, Audio mode is set to Auto (Dobly+, DTS), HDMI is set to Auto detect, Night listening mode off.  If you enable Night Listening mode - it outputs everything in stereo!

NapMan

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:25 am

I have been having the same problem. Pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was causing it. 
The only way I can get no delay is to set the Roku TV audio to PCM Stereo. I test this by having the TV speaker audio playing along with my receiver audio, via optical. 
Unfortunately my receiver is older and can’t handle 4K signals or I could just let it decode audio from my sources. 
This is quite frustrating and disappointing. 
I assume with PCM Stereo my receiver can’t really output surround sound. 

foxematics

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:53 pm

I just fixed this same issue I had between my 55" TCL R617 and Vizio 5.1. All I did was go into the SmartCast Mobile app (or in your Vizio settings with the remote), and turned off, then back on, TruVolume. The audio came back in sync when I turned it off, and when turning it back on there was still no longer any lag. Hope this helps!

blade_005

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:41 am

foxematics wrote:
I just fixed this same issue I had between my 55" TCL R617 and Vizio 5.1. All I did was go into the SmartCast Mobile app (or in your Vizio settings with the remote), and turned off, then back on, TruVolume. The audio came back in sync when I turned it off, and when turning it back on there was still no longer any lag. Hope this helps!

I turned TruVolume off and left it off. Figured adding any post-processing audio tasks would only make it occur more frequently. Since then I have found audio synch issues to be less frequent. But, I also added a 2ms audio delay to configuration while in the SmartCast app that I read in various discussions as an average delay for 5.1 audio. It doesn't seem to affect any Stereo streams and seems to work well with 5.1 audio. Not sure what else may have changed in Roku firmware, but for the last year I was having no luck with any of my Recorded TV content that was saved as a TS stream with AC3 5.1 audio. If I played that thru the Emby Roku app I had terrible audio slip almost from the start and it became even worse if you moved around (REW / FWD) in the stream. Only occurred in the Roku app. Same recording with 5.1 audio on home theater PC played just fine. Recently, I have found these recordings to be working quite well thru Roku app. I can get thru an hour program without any issues for the most part. Excessive jumping around the recording may introduce slippage, but I find that if I turn the Vizio soundbar off and let if default to TV speakers (Stereo) and then turn the Vizio soundbar back on, the 5.1 audio will snap back in synch on soundbar and play just fine. Certainly not a seamless solution, but a reasonable work around when it does occur.
TCL Roku 55P605 | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL Roku 32S301

malrats

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:18 pm

I have this REALLY bad on my TCL 55S401. The ONLY way I don’t have a noticeable delay is when using the TV speakers, and even then I’m honestly not sure. I’ve tried 5 different sound bars across 4 different brands and they all have the exact same delay issue.

Unlike what other people have said, switching to PCM-Stereo doesn’t help at all. I still have the same delay, which is painfully obvious by just leaving the TV speakers and soundbar on at the same time.

Even the Roku OS UI sounds are out of sync! When moving the selection around, instead of just hearing a click, I hear it like “click-click, click-click” with the TV playing first and then the external source.

Something is very, very wrong here. I’m honestly thinking of just getting a new TV without Roku at this point. Also, this seems to be a fairly new issue for me. I was using a Vizio soundbar with this TV for at least a year and there was never any audio sync issue at all. But then that sound bar broke and I’ve been noticing the sync issue with every new speaker solution I’ve tried since.
TCL 55S401 Roku TV (Unsolved audio/video lag issues!)

rbenice

Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:38 am

I have a 65" Hisense Roku tv and just hooked up the new wireless Roku speakers. I stream over Spectrum TV app and play through an OTA CM dvr. Both have horrible lip sync delay. Thanks to what I've read here I'm contemplating returning the speakers. I haven't tried Netflix or Amazon prime video yet but I mostly stream programs from Spectrum. My dilemma is if this is something Roku can fix with a software update. These speakers can only work with a Roku TV. They're not compatible with other Roku devices. 

malrats

Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:29 pm

rbenice wrote:
I have a 65" Hisense Roku tv and just hooked up the new wireless Roku speakers. I stream over Spectrum TV app and play through an OTA CM dvr. Both have horrible lip sync delay. Thanks to what I've read here I'm contemplating returning the speakers. I haven't tried Netflix or Amazon prime video yet but I mostly stream programs from Spectrum. My dilemma is if this is something Roku can fix with a software update. These speakers can only work with a Roku TV. They're not compatible with other Roku devices. 

My Roku TV Wireless Speakers also had the delay. I shipped them back yesterday.

gumby101kw

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:40 pm

Here is my issue....
Me too.
55" , same issues as everyone else only I'm taking the issue to Best Buy.
If enough complaints about a product exist, they cancel contracts with sub par equipment.

Unless we all get a true answer on how to fix this by Friday, all three of us that bought our TV's for gaming at different Best buy's will return them for different products.

My question is whether this is a common TCL issue or specific to Roku.
I am incredibly satisfied with the picture quality. Also incredibly disappointed with the speakers from TV requiring a second source for good audio. However, if we as a community can not get support for this, both products will suffer by word of mouth.

Need some action on this please. Sad to see a great product marred by this one simple issue.

malrats

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:49 pm

gumby101kw wrote:
Here is my issue....
Me too.
55" , same issues as everyone else only I'm taking the issue to Best Buy.
If enough complaints about a product exist, they cancel contracts with sub par equipment.

Unless we all get a true answer on how to fix this by Friday, all three of us that bought our TV's for gaming at different Best buy's will return them for different products.

My question is whether this is a common TCL issue or specific to Roku.
I am incredibly satisfied with the picture quality. Also incredibly disappointed with the speakers from TV requiring a second source for good audio. However, if we as a community can not get support for this, both products will suffer by word of mouth.

Need some action on this please. Sad to see a great product marred by this one simple issue.

Pretty sure it’s a Roku issue that was introduced when they messed with a huge portion of the firmware pertaining to audio to prep for the Roku TV Wireless Speakers.

This issue did NOT exist for me just a couple of months ago and nothing at all changed in my setup except for the firmware version on my Roku TV.

lipsynchell

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:52 pm

I am having these same audio sync issues with my recently bought TCL 65S405. It is driving my brain crazy. Desperate to find a solution to avoid the hassle of a return.

Will the issue be resolved if I use a Chromecast and forego using the built in Roku? Is that even possible? Or a Fire TV Stick or Apple TV?

The issue is somewhat resolved with setting the audio to Stereo, and foregoing the Dolby capabilities, but when I turn on my Vizio 5.1 soundbar, the delay is reintroduced. With Dolby and the soundbar, the delay is the most.

Every second of watching TV has become a painful brain strain due to the sync issue.

Does anyone know if there is a way to not use the Roku part of this TCL TV, and use some other streaming device to overcome this?

malrats

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:58 pm

lipsynchell wrote:
I am having these same audio sync issues with my recently bought TCL 65S405. It is driving my brain crazy. Desperate to find a solution to avoid the hassle of a return.

Will the issue be resolved if I use a Chromecast and forego using the built in Roku? Is that even possible? Or a Fire TV Stick or Apple TV?

The issue is somewhat resolved with setting the audio to Stereo, and foregoing the Dolby capabilities, but when I turn on my Vizio 5.1 soundbar, the delay is reintroduced. With Dolby and the soundbar, the delay is the most.

Every second of watching TV has become a painful brain strain due to the sync issue.

Does anyone know if there is a way to not use the Roku part of this TCL TV, and use some other streaming device to overcome this?

Unfortunately, through a lot of painful testing and trial and error and returned products, as of right now the only way to get rid of the delay is buy a AV Receiver and make sure it does all of the processing instead of the Roku TV. Then the Roku TV apps and all devices attached to both the AVR and TV will be lag-free.

Sadly, this option is for the birds. I just want a simple and clean (and inexpensive!) setup for my small bedroom.