Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Jnb

Re: Audio sync issues on Roku TV (TCL 55P607)

Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:21 pm

I was also having this problem with Roku stick direct to tv speakers. I solved it by going to settings and changing audio mode to (Auto(Dolby D)), and HDMI to (Dolby D).
I then disconnected from my wireless network then reconnected. The audio is now correctly in sync with my video.

plutonashfan

Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:16 pm

Beyond pissed. Got a Sharp LC-65Q7370U for 398.00 on black Friday. Didn't have time or the stand to hook up the TV till right before Christmas and even then it was mostly playing kids CGI stuff and HULU so I can't even return the flower thing and this isn't Sharps fault. Didn't notice the problem till playing some movies off a USB drive this past weekend when my girlfriend who never notices this stuff pointed out the voices were way off. Have 2 older 5.1 receivers (Pioneer/Sony) and having many of same issues as others. Both hooked up via optical. I actually stumbled on the TruVolume "sorta" fix myself in the menu while messing around with and it appears to work sometimes and for only awhile.The problem appears to be the worst in DTS and PSC stereo does nothing but even that is an unacceptable band-aid. The OP posted this issue on 16th of 2018 and this bush-league company still hasn't fixed the problem a whole year later. Ugh why isn't audio delay or lip-sync option. Even my crappy old Hisense with Opera OS had this option??? Weirdly the problem doesn't seem as obvious in the built in streaming apps but noticeable worst via usb or andriod box. At this point I thinking I will never buy a product from this company again as this is a serious issue they have simply ignored their customers. This topic has 35,000 view WTH.

Jcollura

Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:48 pm

If you are using your TVs usb jack to power the Roku, it’s a good bet that it can’t supply enough power to the device. Use an external plug with a usb charging port on it, preferably a bigger one, like for a tablet. You will probably need one that can supply 2 amps or more.

NapMan

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:10 am

Jcollura wrote:
If you are using your TVs usb jack to power the Roku, it’s a good bet that it can’t supply enough power to the device. Use an external plug with a usb charging port on it, preferably a bigger one, like for a tablet. You will probably need one that can supply 2 amps or more.

I’m pretty sure that TV has built-in Roku.  That seems to be the problem, at least for me.  External Roku boxes don’t have the problem.  I may be wrong though.

plutonashfan

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:47 am

NapMan wrote:
Jcollura wrote:

I’m pretty sure that TV has built-in Roku.  That seems to be the problem, at least for me.  External Roku boxes don’t have the problem.  I may be wrong though.

You are correct my USB drive is Samsung 3.0 HDD that has no problems with any other tv and is self powered don't know what the flower he takling about. It's their garbage OS thats can't encode audio right thats problem and since they refuse to acknowledge the fix we are screwed. Will be contacting the BBB.

Lorben

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:10 pm

Oh man, this has been driving me nuts.  I'm glad I found this so I can stop beating my head against the problem if there's no solution.

I bought a TLC 49S405 on Black Friday and paired it up with a VIZIO SB2920-C6 soundbar (basic 2.0 stereo) since the internal speakers are not very good.  If I have it connected through the optical audio cable there's a slight delay in audio.

More than that there's a delay in audio starting through optical if there hasn't been any audio playing for a few seconds.  If I'm going through the setting menu on my Nintendo Switch there's supposed to be a click every time I move up or down.  The click is so quick that it's completely inaudible because the delay in starting sound playback is longer than the duration of the click sound.  By giving the TV a couple seconds to 'cool down' and restart the playback delay before pressing up or down I can move through the menu without making a single click.

The internal TV speakers or if I have the soundbar connected through RCA or AUX has no delay.

James_4449

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:33 am

I just purchased the TCL 65R617 and also bought the Yamaha 207 Soundbar with Sub. When all hooked up with HDMI cable-source to bar to TV (ARC), or any other combo, I experienced a video lag behind the sound produced by the bar (heard the words before the lips moved by a good fraction...). The only way to correct was to disconnect the bar from the TV and play the audio from the TV speaker. I could not figure out how to correct the problem as there is no mention of it in the trouble shooting section of either the TV or Sound Bar manual. Contacted both companies (Roku and Yamaha) with no recommendations. Was flipping through the settings menu on the TV and through trial and error in the Picture Mode>Advanced Picture Settings menu changed Game from Off to On. 

This successfully solved the problem!

Game mode – controls whether game mode is on or off. When on, the TV performs less image processing and has less input lag. When Off, the TV may perform more image processing and has more input lag, which is less desirable for action games. Available only for HDMI® and AV inputs.(I find no perceptible or significant picture degradation as a result....though I'm sure there is some degradation not detectable by 50 year old eyes). Hope this helps!

Rocoo

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:24 pm

From menu press *, under "volume mode" turn off.
With it on its trying to sync with tv volum setting. I just leave mine off

RokuTannerD

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:11 pm

Thanks for reaching out here! If you're running into an issue with audio sync, there are a couple things you can try to help resolve this, depending on your specific setup and A/V receiver or sound bar's capabilities. 

- Try connecting your TV to your A/V receiver using an HDMI cable via the HDMI ARC capable port on your TV, to see if this helps eliminate the issue. 
- Try adjusting the delay settings on your A/V receiver to adjust for any sync issue. Many receivers offer this type of setting adjustment to account for differences in audio sources/types. 
- Try turning any audio specific features or settings on/off, such as 'TruVolume', and test to see if this has any effect.

If you're still running into the issue from there, a few more questions to help clarify what you're experiencing in more detail:

- What make/model of Roku TV do you own and what version/build of software is currently installed (Settings>System>About)?
- Does this occur while watching streaming channels, antenna TV or HDMI input devices on your TV? 
- If this occurs while watching a streaming channel, does it affect all channels or just a specific channel? 
- When did you first observe this issue occurring?
- What is the specific make/model of A/V receiver or sound bar that your TV is connected to? Is it connected via an optical audio or HDMI cable?

If this appears to affect a particular streaming channel, try removing that channel from the Roku home screen, then restart your TV from Settings>System>Power>System restart. Once the TV starts up again, try adding the channel back once more and see if the issue persists from there. 

Please feel free to PM me with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your TV form Settings>System>About if troubleshooting doesn't seem to be doing the trick and I'll follow up with you directly to see what else we can recommend and investigate further. 

Thanks!
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

spatula

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:41 pm

Disappointed to see that there are pages and pages and pages of people with the same problem as we have, and the problem appears to have been consistently ignored, or at least not fixed.  Like many, I find the audio lag intolerable.

Our TV is already connected to our sound bar (a Sony HT-X9000F) via HDMI ARC.  The sound bar already has its audio sync set to its lowest setting (it can only increase lag, not decrease it, and what it needs is to be decreased). All the special audio features are disabled.  The TV and the sound bar are already on their latest firmware revisions.

The TV is a TCL 43S517, with RokuTV 7116X, running version 8.2.0 build 4170-30.  I last checked for updates today.

The problem occurs regardless of input or streaming.  It has been present since the day we connected the sound bar to the TV.

The ONLY thing that alleviates the lag is switching the output to PCM Stereo, which of course kind of makes owning a fancy sound bar a little pointless.  I've tried every other setting including Auto Detect to no avail.

It could be my imagination, but it seemed like the 8.2 build helped with the lag a tiny bit, but it's still very noticeable and annoying, probably off by a good 50ms or more.

The Rat

Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:23 pm

I have a Sharp Roku TV with an android box and a DVD player connected to my HDMI 2 and 3 inputs. My workaround was connecting the optical output of both of those directly to the optical inputs of my receiver. That alleviated the issue 100%. The only drawback is that I have to change the receiver input whenever I change the Roku TV input because the audio is now independent of the TV. For me it mostly works because I use my android box 90% of the time. But yeah totally annoying this issue is not being seriously addressed by Roku.

g73

Wed May 15, 2019 10:32 am

New Samsung TV replacing a 4-5 year old Samsung.  Vizio sound bar.  Sync issues with both TV's. Replaced old TV for sync issue, then had same sync issue with new TV. Both TV's were working fine for awhile.  Realized issue was Roku after same problem on new TV.  Tried several settings, but none fixed sync.  Reset all wireless system & problem still there. Unplugged Roku for power off-reset attempt. Plugged back in & was fine. Roku, you have a design flaw.  Roku Streaming Stick +.  Feel like I'm using an old Windows system I constantly needed to reset. 

CParker

Wed May 15, 2019 11:28 am

I have an Ultra in the living room (connected via ethernet) and 3 of the Streaming Stick+ (4 TVs total)
I've had this audio sync issue on all of them.
I first notice it as "lip sync" being off a little. It seems to progressively get worse if I do nothing.

What I have found that fixes it *almost* all the time, is to hit Options (while any video is playing) and turn off Sound Leveling. The audio syncs. Then I turn it back on (I like it!)
My understanding is that the OS 9.1 update addresses this specific issue. I have not yet received the update on ANY of my Roku devices to confirm or despute that notion.

One of the bedroom TVs the sound got so bad it would stop and stutter. the sound leveling "fix" didn't fix that. I had to restart the streaming stick+ and then the problem was resolved. HOWEVER... I think that may have been a network issue. I'm still getting a handle on which rooms can use 5GHz wifi vs the rooms that do better on 2.4GHz.
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D

chicagohusky

Wed May 15, 2019 11:58 am

Roku has had repeated audio sync issues with all of their products going on 3+ years now. Its a shame because I love the Roku interface and software the most. But the audio sync issues are absolutely terrible. The audio sync offset is always a random amount, differs between apps. You may have an issue on Plex one day with 200ms audio delay. The next it might be Netflix is a 1.2 second delay. 

So the suggestion here to swap your HDMI cables or set an audio offset on your receiver. None of it will work. Its also ALL BS. Why is it that NO OTHER streaming device seems to have these problems?

I broke down and bought an nVidia shield. I _hate_ the shield but its stable. The audio is always in sync. Why should I have to tweak my receiver audio delay settings for a problem that Roku refuses to, or worse yet, doesn't have the technical skill to fix? 

This problem has been going on for years. I check in every now and then to see if its fixed. So I've been keeping an eye on the forums for 3ish years now and every time I visit there is a huge thread about audio sync issues. This is never going away, unfortunately. Roku please PLEASE prove me wrong.

msj

Fri May 17, 2019 7:43 am

Here’s a troubling thought...what if these affordable TCL units simply don’t have the compute power on board to process the audio fast enough?

No firmware update will fix a fundamentally under-powered unit.

I’m not an expert, and I have no evidence of this (outside of the stubborn un-fixability of the issue) ... maybe some of the EE/hardware types on this list can chime in?