Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RadioClash
Topic Author

Winter Olympics

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:48 am

How are people planning to watch the Winter Olympics on Roku?  

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Winter Olympics

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:55 am

Good question.. haven't thought of it yet!
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

BooBooKitty

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:32 pm

I'm going to get SlingTV Blue package and do the add-on for the Olympic Channel.   Between NBC, NBCSN and the Olympic Channel, I should be in Olympics overload.  I'll probably cancel SlingTV at the end of February.

RadioClash
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:47 am

BooBooKitty, do you know if any of those channels have archived coverage?  Not always easy to watch everything live.

Elijah_Baley

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:21 am

RadioClash wrote:
BooBooKitty, do you know if any of those channels have archived coverage?  Not always easy to watch everything live.

Well I am not BooBooKitty and I do not think I would admit it if I were but Sling offers DVR functionality for most, but not all, channels so you probably could record much of what you want to watch. 

The only channels I remember being unable to record was the ESPN channels and those are not part of the Olympic package at all. I think recording will be available for the Olympics but only Sling knows for sure and they are harder to get reliable information out of than the White House.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

carlojomomma

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:48 am

I have two Roku devices. One is just connected to my normal home network, the other is plugged into a router that has a VPN configured on it. The VPN on that router makes it look like anything connected on it is in a different country (I won't say which one, but Canada or UK would work) so I can watch the Olympics minus all he NBC commentators and time delays. I admit it took some trial and error to get my network running smoothly. Also - and I don't know if this truly matters - the Roku that looks like it's in a different country was never connected/configured on my normal network: I previously attempted to connect my US-based Roku to my router with the VPN but couldn't make it understand/acknowledge that it was in a different locale... was easier to just buy a second Roku. And I also have two Roku accounts, one for the US and for the other country.

Elijah_Baley

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:21 pm

Well that will probably do it. Countdown to thread lock 3...2...1..
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

BooBooKitty

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:33 am

Elijah - thanks for the info on the DVR service.  I hadn't really explored Sling TV beyond the fact that they offered the Olympic Channel and NBCSN.  Now I'll REALLY have plenty Olympics to watch.  

And I'll join you in the countdown.   :lol:

bvd1022

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:01 am

RadioClash wrote:
How are people planning to watch the Winter Olympics on Roku?  

Both Hulu and the NBC app are planning on offering live and on-demand streaming for it. If you have the NBC Sports app, it will also have a complete section devoted to the Olympics as was the case during the last Olympics in 2016. In all honesty, I've covered four Olympic Boxing tournaments and having access to the entire tournament during the 2016 games via the NBC Sports app made my job much easier because I was able to break my coverage into two pieces summarizing the two weeks of competition with less filler as compared to coverage I did during previous Olympics. As far as the Winter games, I don't cover those Olympics, but I am looking forward to the hockey tournament and the luge among other events taking place. 

RadioClash
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:23 am

Thanks, that NBC Sports app looks like a winner. 

mc510

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:51 am

RadioClash wrote:
Thanks, that NBC Sports app looks like a winner. 

But you will need to authorize it with your cable tv or satellite credentials in order to get anything other than clips

jdh8668

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:15 pm

Has anyone heard if we will be able to get 4K content on our Roku for the Winter Olympics via the NBC Sports app?

bvd1022

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:08 pm

jdh8668 wrote:
Has anyone heard if we will be able to get 4K content on our Roku for the Winter Olympics via the NBC Sports app?

I haven't, but from what I know 4K is still a fairly new technology and a lot of broadcasters are not broadcasting in 4K yet. It's one reason why though I have a few 4K streaming devices including some of my Roku devices, I haven't thought much of investing in 4K televisions just yet because why invest money if it's not a universal standard as of yet?

I went through the same thing with the initial move from SD TV to HD TV almost ten years ago now. I waited until my old 32" tube TV in my bedroom blew and when I went to the store later that day to buy a new TV, the only option I had was HD so I am one who can legitimately say that I waited until I was literally forced to upgrade, Although it didn't sit well with me at the time and I had friends of mine telling me that I could have ordered an SD TV online, which got me to say I should be able to go to a store and buy a TV with no issue, once I got the HD TV and upgraded my equipment to HD, I didn't have too much of a problem and now HD equipment is like second nature for me.  One of the things that has me hesitant at upgrading to 4K is I remember how a lot of manufacturers were releasing 3D TV's at insane prices, but that seems to have fizzled out as far as being something that would be close to an industry standard. The other thing that has kept me from it is I would need a TV that has picture modes on them that are capable of stretch and zoom to a 4:3 picture because I watch a lot of non-HD content (WWE Network, YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, UFC, etc.) that have not invested as of yet to upgrade their non-HD content to HD and one of the TV's I have in my home appears to chop off the bottom of the picture when attempted to get the TV to a 4:3 stretch or overscan format. 

I do research new TV's regularly, but of all the stuff I can look up, I have a real tough time finding information regarding which TV's have that capability where it will fit perfectly with a 4:3 format. As for my Vizio TV in my bedroom, it does format perfectly to 4:3, but I haven't been able to find information regarding if Vizio's newer TV's have the same features. Hopefully, I'll figure it out in time. Would be nice to know for when the time comes to buy 4K assuming that 4K is sticking around longer than 3D TVs.

As far as the Olympics, I think the main issue as has been the case in previous Olympics will be whether the time difference between the U.S. and where the Olympics are taking place this time will affect how people watch more than whether it will be 4K content, The NBC Sports app is something that will probably get a lot of use because of that. The only thing I didn't like about it during the last Olympics in particular, the Boxing tournament that I covered from here in the states is the feeds they used were not NBC, but from the Olympics own international broadcasts, though all of it was in English, you would think that NBC would have had their crews running those feeds. Outside of that one little thing, it was one of the easier Olympics I ever covered simply because I didn't have to wait for delayed broadcasts and had access to every session in full, though it was fun comparing the two presentations when more often than not the Olympics feeds would broadcast first and then coverage on the NBC networks would be delayed later on in the day.