Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ghb51
Topic Author

Spam problem

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:36 am

The spam has become sentient and is actually daring us to report it now, the singularity has begun.

Elijah_Baley

Re: Spam problem

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:08 pm

It used to be that the Spam mostly only showed up in the mornings and rarely stayed on the board for longer than a hour or so. But lately, particularly the last few days, it has gotten to the point where there is spam popping up at any hour and several times a day.

I usually have a strong ability to ignore the spam posts and find the valid posts that are worth reading but there are so many spam posts and they stay on the board for so long that even my patience for that kind of thing is being stretched to the breaking point.

Roku MUST tighten up the signup procedures and implement stronger domain blocking even if it makes some new users have a bit of a harder time signing up. That slight inconvenience is nothing meaningful when weighed against the trouble it would relieve.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Pompey

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:12 pm

It's beginning to remind me of the SPAM skit from the old Monty Python crew. Those were the days.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE
"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Sorry guys.  The bots have adapted to the hours that I'm usually not on the forums.

I'm looking into options this week to try and mitigate the spam.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Pompey

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:36 pm

Shawn,

Maybe you should hire a longboat of Vikings to help you.  They can probably be had cheap...... :D
"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill

DubTaylor

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:50 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Sorry guys.  The bots have adapted to the hours that I'm usually not on the forums.

I'm looking into options this week to try and mitigate the spam.

Problem is....
we've heard that before - result: 
nothing happens - tspamnomi continues.
I check in here after a long hiatus and then in a few minutes remember why I employed the hiatus.
Hiatus Pending.

Elijah_Baley

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:45 pm

Any threat I could make would/will virtually meaningless BUT I am about as fed up as DubTaylor with all the SPAM. It gets cleared out and then a LOT more shows up.

Roku CAN block the SPAM if the choose to but they seem to choose not to. The Plex boards are a LOT busier and they do have some spam at times it is quickly dealt with and you almost never see the repeated spam from the same spammer over and over like we continue to see here. 

I do not expect any moderator to hover on here just to handle SPAM but I really believe that somewhere the ball is being dropped and I think that "somewhere" is the signup process where a bot should almost NEVER be able to succeed in creating an account.

Other boards are successful at keeping the SPAM under control (I have not seen any on the Plex boards in over a year) why can't Roku. Is it because the board software in use is incapable or is it because the controls used are not tight enough? I think it is the latter. 

Tighten up on the account creation controls Roku and, maybe, the SPAM will get under control. 
Our you could allocate 4 or 5 more people and assign shifts so the the board is monitored in real time 24/7. 
I think it makes more sense to use the software tools available.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

DubTaylor

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:23 pm

ANY new user here for help doesn't need to set a link for a reasonable amount of time or number of posts.
If that small measure was taken - even temporarily - Roku Forums would fall off the Spam Friendly Site List... for a while... if the practice was relaxed when the Spam died down it could be reinstated when the tspamnomi resumed.

Of course, we've made suggestions like this is the past and Roku does nothing. 
Crickets. 
Forum Staff refuse to take any steps, other than make promises they don't intend to keep.

Spam Counter Measures need to be as dynamic as required, or you get what we got now:
Come on in, Spammers!
Roku Forums is Spammer Central!
Set your Phone Scam Links, Penile Enlargement Offers Welcome!
Roku Doesn't Care!
Weeeeeeee!

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:22 am

DubTaylor wrote:
ANY new user here for help doesn't need to set a link for a reasonable amount of time or number of posts.
If that small measure was taken - even temporarily - Roku Forums would fall off the Spam Friendly Site List... for a while... if the practice was relaxed when the Spam died down it could be reinstated when the tspamnomi resumed.

Of course, we've made suggestions like this is the past and Roku does nothing. 
Crickets. 
Forum Staff refuse to take any steps, other than make promises they don't intend to keep.

Spam Counter Measures need to be as dynamic as required, or you get what we got now:
Come on in, Spammers!
Roku Forums is Spammer Central!
Set your Phone Scam Links, Penile Enlargement Offers Welcome!
Roku Doesn't Care!
Weeeeeeee!

The problem is, the Developer Forums need to allow links for first time posters for obvious reasons, which is why we haven't disabled the option (you can't do it on an individual forum-basis).  We could require a first and second post before the developer can reply with a link, but that's an unnecessary blockage that I think would frustrate people more than it's worth.  And with the spambots, it's a moot point since the worst of them (e.g.: the Roku "fake-support" sites) already perform an obscene number of posts and could get around the limitation very quickly.

I don't have the ability to modify the security as I once did, which is why we're seeing the volume of spambots that we're seeing now.  I'm trying to correct that, but there are a number of steps that have to be done before that can happen.

I know you guys are frustrated with the spam, but please be patient.  Posts about this spam are not helpful in any way, which is why they've been locked and/or archived.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan