Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
ylandrum
Topic Author
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:14 am

Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:27 am

Guess I’ll try starting this myself since we’re more than 2/3rds through the quarter and still no thread for this.

For those of us who have to deal with data caps, how about mirroring between Rokus in the same network? Set one as the master, so you’re just pulling one data stream, and have the others mirror from the master. I like to watch the same thing on multiple TVs while working at home (e.g. the Winter Olympics) but currently all three Rokus are each pulling their own stream so my downloads are tripled.
 
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5520
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:00 pm

ylandrum wrote:
Guess I’ll try starting this myself since we’re more than 2/3rds through the quarter and still no thread for this.

For those of us who have to deal with data caps, how about mirroring between Rokus in the same network? Set one as the master, so you’re just pulling one data stream, and have the others mirror from the master. I like to watch the same thing on multiple TVs while working at home (e.g. the Winter Olympics) but currently all three Rokus are each pulling their own stream so my downloads are tripled.
.

Multi room video.. I like it.. I don't know if companies like Hulu and Netflix that put limits on how many TV's can be watching their content will like it though.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
 
Rsmims
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:52 am

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:09 pm

How about all future ROKU models come with remotes that control your TV off/on and volume WITH support for sound bars.
Oh and I second the master/mirror idea of one stream. Great idea.
ROKU Stick (2017)
ROKU TVs (55S405 & 32S305)
Express+ 2017 (3910RW)
ROKU 4 (4400R)
 
Matt9876
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:45 pm

My 4K TV now works with the Roku premier plus but the HDMI ports on the TV have only HDCP 1.2 - 1.4 compatibility, this means that about 1/3 of the stuff on YouTube and other channels won't play and produce a purple HDCP lock screen.

Right now I have to swap inputs to a Roku 3 running in 1080p mode to view the locked content.

How about the purple lock screen having an option to switch to 1080p mode and continue, once you return to the main menu have it go back to the 4K mode.

Thank You for your time and efforts.
ROKU Premiere Plus
ROKU 4
ROKU 3
Tablo OTA DVR
Samsung 4K UHD TV
Hisense 4K TV
 
kfun123
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Same as last quarter, fix subtitles.....

Subtitle / Caption Improvements

Problem:
Ever since the Roku Global caption policy was changed, early 2017, individual channels like Plex can no longer override the global Roku caption settings. 

Prior to this I could set Plex server to only display captions when the language was foreign and turn the Roku captions setting to Off. Plex would then override the global caption policy to display captions when it determined necessary, like foreign language scenes in English language movies.

Since the policy change / Plex channel app update I now have to turn the global caption policy on / off during movies with foreign language scenes  to achieve the same effect. This is quite inconvenient to say the least.

Solution:

Either improve the caption system to be similar to Plex in that it will allow captions to be displayed only when the captions on the specific video are set to forced or when the caption language does not match the UI language / selected language.

The other approach would be return to the previous policy and allow channels, like Plex, to override the global Roku caption settings. 

In this scenario the user would set Roku global captions to Off or On-Replay Only and then the app, Plex in this example, would determine when it is appropriate to override Roku global caption settings (forced foreign subs). 

It would seem easier to just return to the previous channel caption policy.

Was there any specific reason why this policy changed? It appears this has been brought up on the forum before, Roku's new Captions policy for channels is dumb, but I can't find any explanation on why this new policy was put in place when it clearly has a negative impact on user experience.
 
Brettface
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:06 pm

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:28 am

As of today, MPEG-2 decoding is completely free.
http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/M2/ ... tList.aspx

Please consider adding MPEG-2 decoding to your players.  It would make the TabloTV experience (and any other networked TV tuner) so much better if it were possible to skip the whole transcoding step and just deliver video directly to a Roku device
 
User avatar
atc98092
Posts: 3881
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:36 am

Brettface wrote:
As of today, MPEG-2 decoding is completely free.
http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/M2/ ... tList.aspx

Please consider adding MPEG-2 decoding to your players.  It would make the TabloTV experience (and any other networked TV tuner) so much better if it were possible to skip the whole transcoding step and just deliver video directly to a Roku device

Not the way I read it (unfortunately):
(1) For MPEG-2 Decoding Products in hardware or software (such as those found in set-top boxes, DVD players and computers equipped with MPEG-2 decode units), the royalty is US $2.50 per unit from January 1, 2002 and $4.00 per unit before January 1, 2002 (Sections 2.1 and 3.1.1), but $2.00 from later of January 1, 2010 or execution of license through December 31, 2015. From January 1, 2016 through December 31, 2017, the royalty rate for MPEG-2 Decoding Products is $0.50 per unit with right of voluntary termination on 30-days written notice, but Licensees may elect a royalty of $0.35 with right of voluntary termination on or after January 1, 2018. From January 1, 2018 forward, the royalty rate for MPEG-2 Decoding Products is $0.35 per unit with right of voluntary termination on 30-days written notice.
There's still a charge to MPEG-2 decoding. They just lowered the cost.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
 
twiceover
Posts: 1171
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:04 pm

Alexa voice integration.  But since Alexa can only talk to the cloud and roku can only listen locally...  Oh well.
 
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5520
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:28 pm

twiceover wrote:
Alexa voice integration.  But since Alexa can only talk to the cloud and roku can only listen locally...  Oh well.


I don't think Roku is going to entertain the idea of making their products Alexa or Google aware.. not since they announced they're coming out with their own smart assistant soon.. which I won't be buying.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
 
blade_005
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:47 am
Location: USA

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:34 pm

twiceover wrote:
Alexa voice integration.  But since Alexa can only talk to the cloud and roku can only listen locally...  Oh well.

I would like to see a Roku supported solution with Alexa as well. But, now that they have introduced their own Roku Connect and Roku Entertainment Assistant branded solutions at CES, I don't think this will be a top priority.
Roku Connect and Roku Entertainment Assistant
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
 
Brettface
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:06 pm

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:50 pm

atc98092 wrote:
From January 1, 2018 forward, the royalty rate for MPEG-2 Decoding Products is $0.35 per unit with right of voluntary termination on 30-days written notice.
There's still a charge to MPEG-2 decoding. They just lowered the cost.

I'm not so sure!
Under the MPEG-2 Patent Portfolio License, royalties are payable for products manufactured or sold in countries with an active MPEG-2 Patent Portfolio Patent at the time of manufacture or sale. 

Because there are no longer any active patents, I read this to mean that any device made or sold after today (or yesterday?) will not incur any royalty/licensing fees.
I'd love to pay Roku (or whoever) freaking fifty cents to unlock this capability on my existing devices, and if that's not an option I'd go out and buy all-new Roku hardware if I had to.
 
User avatar
atc98092
Posts: 3881
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:01 pm

Brettface wrote:
atc98092 wrote:
From January 1, 2018 forward, the royalty rate for MPEG-2 Decoding Products is $0.35 per unit with right of voluntary termination on 30-days written notice.
There's still a charge to MPEG-2 decoding. They just lowered the cost.

I'm not so sure!
Under the MPEG-2 Patent Portfolio License, royalties are payable for products manufactured or sold in countries with an active MPEG-2 Patent Portfolio Patent at the time of manufacture or sale. 

Because there are no longer any active patents, I read this to mean that any device made or sold after today (or yesterday?) will not incur any royalty/licensing fees.
I'd love to pay Roku (or whoever) freaking fifty cents to unlock this capability on my existing devices, and if that's not an option I'd go out and buy all-new Roku hardware if I had to.

Oh, I agree completely. I would gladly pay for a codec package to add MPEG2 video and TrueHD/Master Audio bitstream audio. Don't know if I'd go so far as new equipment. Of course, if you want MPEG2 decoding in a Roku, every Roku TV has it available now. :)
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
 
dudley76
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:09 pm

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:11 pm

A firmware update for the Roku Ultra which provides Dolby Vision HDR support, or a new Roku Ultra model which supports this.

Thank you in advance.
 
twiceover
Posts: 1171
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:51 pm

jeffrok wrote:
twiceover wrote:
Alexa voice integration.  But since Alexa can only talk to the cloud and roku can only listen locally...  Oh well.


I don't think Roku is going to entertain the idea of making their products Alexa or Google aware.. not since they announced they're coming out with their own smart assistant soon.. which I won't nobody will be buying.

FTFY.  So much for being the "Switzerland of streaming".
 
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5520
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Who knows, maybe people new to smart home equipment will think it's great. I'm too invested in the Amazon ecosystem (in more ways than one) to go away from it..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests