Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dangdongho3
Topic Author

Washed out Netflix

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:54 am

I have the Roku Premier plus.  When I start Netflix the picture gets a washed out look.  The Netflix logo isn't red it is a dull orange/red.  Also,the 4k hdr catogory goes away.  I've taken it back and tried several Roku's, they all  do it.  I've also tried different hdmi cables.  I am running it through an Onkyo a/v receiver.  It doesn't do it with Hulu or any other services.

Thanks for the help

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Washed out Netflix

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:06 am

What happens when you run it direct to the tv?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

RonO

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:25 pm

I have the exact same issue. I have a Plus Stick and plugged directly into TV, NETFLIX is washed out (orange instead of red logo, etc.). I have tried everything I can think of and can’t solve it. Amazon Prime including HDRtitles and Hulu work fine so it must be the App. I have a 2016 Samsung KU6300 Series. It is driving me crazy. I may return and exchange for a Fire TV if I can’t resolve this.

fluffuser

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:08 am

I think I have seen the same thing. This is where the Roku Netflix app is incorrectly flagging standard video (rec709 color) as wide colour (bt2020)

regards.

RonO

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Yes, it does look like an incorrect colorspace is being applied. How do we get this fixed?

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:10 am

Please post the make/model numbers of everything in your setup (TV, receiver, et al).
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

RonO

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:17 am

My equipment is a 60" Samsung KU3000 with a Roku Stick + Device ID C13790268985.  The stick is plugged directly into HDMI port #1.  UHD is turned on in the settings for this port.  I am not using any other equipment.

wingrider

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Same problem with my Roku premier direct to a RPTV Netflix has washed out twice now had to restart the Roku to get it right. Thought maybe the set was giving up looks like others are having the same problem.model 4620X SERIAL # 7J96A7527318

cgs

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:15 pm

RokuShawnS:
Please post the make/model numbers of everything in your setup (TV, receiver, et al).

I picked up a Roku Ultra a couple days ago and this problem has been driving me nuts, close to returning it. I figured a few things out (I have a Samsung series 8 TV (4k + HDR), UHD is turned on). Roku Ultra is connected directly to the TV.

Roku correctly identifies that my TV is 4k HDR @60Hz:

1. If I leave the display set to 4k HDR 60Hz, almost all Netflix movies/shows are washed out, especially noticeable in that the reds are gone (as others have said), however:
  2. Setting Roku display settings to 4k 60Hz (without HDR), most Netflix movies clear up and display correct colors, except for HDR movies - which are then totally washed out
  3. If I set Roku display settings back to 4k HDR 60Hz, then all HDR movies appear to have much better colors. I'm not sure if it's the full HDR color gamut, but definitely looks better than with HDR off

So the work-around seems to be:

1. When watching HDR movies on Netflix, set Roku display settings to 4k HDR 60Hz (assuming your TV supports that)
  2. When watching any other movie on Netflix (1080p, 4k without HDR, etc.), set Roku display settings to 4k 60Hz

Needless to say, this is unacceptable long-term. Not sure if this is an issue for Netflix or Roku, but right now Netflix works perfectly fine with 4k and HDR movies on my other devices (Samsung TV app, Xbox One app, etc.).

rockou

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Strange. I have a Samsung 8 series also and the Roku Ultra looks fine on 4k non HDR and HDR videos. I have the Ultra set to 4k HDR 60hz.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI

cgs

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:52 pm

rockou wrote:
Strange. I have a Samsung 8 series also and the Roku Ultra looks fine on 4k non HDR and HDR videos. I have the Ultra set to 4k HDR 60hz.

Interesting. What about non-4k non-HDR Netflix movies? Easiest way for me to see the difference is in the reds, but really everything looks washed out. Here's a quick test with the Netflix movie "Cars 3" (since the main "character" is red):

• make sure your Samsung TV settings are correct (HDR turned on for your Roku HDMI input, etc.)
  • set Roku display settings to 4k HDR 60Hz, watch a scene in Cars 3 that includes the main character
  • set Roku display settings to 4k 60Hz (no HDR), watch the same scene in Cars 3

To me the difference is night and day. With 4k HDR 60Hz, the colors are significantly washed out and the the red car is a weird shade of orange. With 4k 60Hz, the colors are vibrant (including the reds), as they should be (and as they appear on Netflix apps on every other platform). In fact, the various Netflix user interface widgets also appear differently, for example with 4k HDR 60Hz the spinning progress indicator (the spinning circle that shows when Netflix is loading a movie or buffering) is that same orange-ish color, but with 4k 60Hz it's red.

Curious if you see any difference.

rockou

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:08 pm

Yep my tv settings have been correct for a couple years. Roku Ultra has always been set to 4K HDR 60hz. Everything looks good on the Roku Ultra. No washed out videos for me.
I'll try Cars later when the wife isn't hogging the TV. 

What mode do you have your tv set on when watching Roku? I always use Movie mode. Your backlight should jack up to max when watching an HDR signal.

rockou

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:19 pm

OK I just checked at the 6:43 mark in the movie Cars 3 where the main character is on screen.
The movie is in HD only on Netflix

I first watched with my normal settings of Roku in 4k HDR 60 hz and it looked fine. Car was red (so was Netflix logo). Everything looked good and vibrant.
I then switched the Roku to 4k 60hz no HDR and it looked fine. Car was red (so was Netflix logo). Everything looked good and vibrant.
Both times it looked exactly the same as it should because the movie is just in HD. If it had been in 4k HDR then it would have looked different both ways with the 4k HDR 60hz setting looking better.

Not sure why setting your Roku to 4k 60HZ HDR is causing you issues with HD movies. How is it when you play a 4k Non HDR or a 4k HDR movie?

cgs

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:34 pm

rockou wrote:
OK I just checked at the 6:43 mark in the movie Cars 3 where the main character is on screen.
The movie is in HD only on Netflix

I first watched with my normal settings of Roku in 4k HDR 60 hz and it looked fine. Car was red (so was Netflix logo). Everything looked good and vibrant.
I then switched the Roku to 4k 60hz no HDR and it looked fine. Car was red (so was Netflix logo). Everything looked good and vibrant.
Both times it looked exactly the same as it should because the movie is just in HD. If it had been in 4k HDR then it would have looked different both ways with the 4k HDR 60hz setting looking better.

Not sure why setting your Roku to 4k 60HZ HDR is causing you issues with HD movies.

Interesting. Yes I picked that movie because it's just HD and should look the same in both modes. I can see a stark difference no matter what the TV mode is set to (Movie, Natural, etc.). Then I would assume there's some other difference in our setups. Which Roku Ultra do you have (2016 or 2017)? I have the 2017. Samsung KS8000 (or KS8500 I forget?) from 2016. I think all the HDMI inputs are the same on the Samsung TV break-out box (forget what it's called), but I'm not sure. 

I'm not sure why this is happening either, but clearly I'm not the only one it's happening to. 

One thing to point out: the Netflix logo is the same shade red (when the app is first launched) no matter what setting I'm using in Roku display settings. It's only after the Netflix logo goes away that the color space change happens. When using 4k 60Hz, there is no change. When using 4k HDR 60Hz, sometimes the change from red -> orange happens while the Netflix logo is still showing, sometimes is happens right after the logo disappears and the main Netflix screen is displayed. So occassionally, you can actually see the problem manifest itself while the logo is stil displaying - there's a brief flicker and the logo changes from red -> orange, after which everything is washed out and stays that way until you quit the Netflix app.

So far, this only happens with the Netflix app and only when Roku display settings are set to 4k HDR 60Hz.

Since our setups are similar, maybe we'll be able to narrow this down a bit.

cgs

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:37 pm

To answer your other question, the same issue manifests for 4k (non-HDR) movies. For HDR movies, I have to set Roku display settings back to 4k HDR 60Hz or they don't look right.