Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

aguero90

Re: MLB.TV 2018 on Roku devices

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:02 am

Watching Yanks yesterday with radio overlay, I didn't have a single error! So maybe it's fixed. I'll try it Saturday with Yanks radio and Yes.
Roku Ultra, Sharp AQUOS 80. Haven't missed a Yanks radio broadcast since I was 8 in 98. Go Yanks!

ElPengwino

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:52 am

tedbrown888 wrote:
ElPengwino wrote:
tedbrown888 wrote:
ElPengwino wrote:
Has anyone noticed the new mlb.tv interface is much slower to load than before? I'm not having buffering issues - just the channel itself and the home screen is really slow to load up. Games themselves playing fine.

I've noticed that too now that I just got the update. All last season I blocked updates so I could use the previous version of the app, which was much more responsive. However, this year, that app won't work and I had to finally update it. It is g-d awful slow. I only watch archived games, one day late, so I can follow my home teams.

I have a Roku-1 2710x. I was wondering if maybe a new Roku box might help speed things up. I hate to give em any more money, especially if it's not gonna help.
Mostly I'm struggling to find a way to still have a one button go to inning and do 2 minute skips, which I've had the last 2 years using the old app plus a custom remote with macros. 

Hi tedbrown888
I had a NOW TV stick given to me as part of a promo (I'm in the UK and this is a rebranded version of the Roku Express I believe but with fewer apps). I tried MLB TV on it and it's running as it should - so much more quickly than the older Roku. Annoyingly the Now stick doesn't have Netflix and Amazon so I'm having to use both the Roku and Now stick but MLB is definitely responisve on the newer hardware (and on the cheapest Roku hardware too I think?). Hope this helps.
Pengwino

Do you know if the newer roku has the same mlb app? That is, does it look the same, I'd really hate to have to use yet another app? The app on the tivo looks similar, but it is actually quite different. Only on my roku can I now go directly to a particular inning. That is not working on either the tivo or pc apps, a feature they advertise, and maybe will work after spring training.

I've found now that there's a spot in a march 4 2018 game with the giants and dodgers in the first inning, 17th or 18th pitch (a low pitch) where it glitches every time I go to it on the roku, but not on my tivo or in the pc and not on the roku if I choose the giants feed (i.e. only glitches on the dodgers feed at this exact spot).  I'm going to call support soon.

I'm also tempted to just get a new $30 roku express from amazon. Maybe that would help. I only use the roku for 3 channels, mlb, amazon video, and curriostystream which has an annoying flicker (bug?) after I go back to the list of programs. Maybe that would get fixed too with a new device.

The newer Roku/Now TV stick has the same app as the (updated) app that was on my old Roku. You can go directly to half innings on it. You can select favourite teams - I think the page displaying loads of games is pretty useless, I would prefer to have my fave team's recent game as the single game on the page and to just scroll through to others, but that's just my preference. In the UK we can't buy the single team subscription for some reason or else I would have done so. 
I think the loading up of all the displayed games is what slows the app down on the old Roku perhaps. 
If I didn't have the promo Now TV I would pay the $30 for the new Roku as the speed of the new hardware makes a big difference, sounds like it has more features compared to Tivo/PC but I don't use either so can't comment for sure.
Also corrected my earlier post - the now tv stick is a version of the roku streaming stick rather than the express. Apologies.

tedbrown888

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:15 pm

ElPengwino wrote:
tedbrown888 wrote:
ElPengwino wrote:

Hi tedbrown888...

I think the loading up of all the displayed games is what slows the app down on the old Roku perhaps. 
If I didn't have the promo Now TV I would pay the $30 for the new Roku as the speed of the new hardware makes a big difference, sounds like it has more features compared to Tivo/PC but I don't use either so can't comment for sure.
Also corrected my earlier post - the now tv stick is a version of the roku streaming stick rather than the express. Apologies.

Well no apology needed, I just got the express ($25 as a refurb) and it solved all my roku problems. I adjusted all my timings for my mlb app, by not delaying as much (30 seconds to get back to the list of games is now only 7 secs). So now I can get to the goto innings screen and select an inning in about 15 seconds. This is about as good as it gets.

The express also fixed the flicker I was getting with the curiositystream channel.

The list of 1/2 innings is still a pretty lame setup, (other devices, like tivo or pc, have a true linescore widget) and since they show 9th inning (without a top/bottom) when there are no extra innings, that's a game spoiler, which shows up from the top of the 5th inning downward. I still need to look away when skipping, so as not to see the length of the game, which can be a spoiler. Also it's kinda dumb you have to keep re-selecting the video feed to be able to skip to an inning. But I can automate that.

Thanks for the suggestion about the express. I was going crazy with the old one, which couldn't even keep up enough to play a game without glitches. This one is rock solid so far.

aguero90

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:32 am

Well the error came back during the Yanks game with radio overlay on Monday nights game. The only way I found to keep the stream going is to switch from radio to tv audio before every break and put it back when break is over. Very annoying, but they've got 3 weeks to work it out.
Roku Ultra, Sharp AQUOS 80. Haven't missed a Yanks radio broadcast since I was 8 in 98. Go Yanks!

aguero90

Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:41 pm

Errors still happening when using audio overlay, and since mlb stopped using the mlb forum, you need to call them. I did that Friday and reported the issue.

tedbrown888

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:29 pm

Well, found another annoyance, due to how you use the * key to get to the alternate audio, if you want to skip to an inning, you lose your audio setting. So, if you wanted audio from the radio feed or the ballpark audio, when you go to another inning you're back to the audio stream you have to choose to get to an inning.

erik316wttn

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:34 am

I don't even have the audio overlay option from my mlb tv app. Is this on Roku or mlb?

DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:53 am

erik316wttn wrote:
I don't even have the audio overlay option from my mlb tv app. Is this on Roku or mlb?

If you press the "*" button on your Roku remote then options including audio track/overlay should appear on the right side of the screen.
--brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

tj218

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:28 pm

DaBronx wrote:
erik316wttn wrote:

If you press the "*" button on your Roku remote then options including audio track/overlay should appear on the right side of the screen.
--brett

When I press the * button I only get the "Options" for my Roku TV brightness, picture mode, picture size, etc. I don't get any choice to switch the audio to overlay.  How do you switch the the audio overlay with a Roku TV (TCL) 

DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:39 pm

tj218 wrote:
DaBronx wrote:
erik316wttn wrote:

--brett

When I press the * button I only get the "Options" for my Roku TV brightness, picture mode, picture size, etc. I don't get any choice to switch the audio to overlay.  How do you switch the the audio overlay with a Roku TV (TCL)

On the Roku TV's it is a little different. you still press the "*" button on the remote and yes all the TV menu options will appear as you see.

In that option list scroll down to where it says "audio track" and you should be able to select radio overlay,  ballpark sound, Spanish radio (if available in that market) by toggling that option.

That's how I do it on my Insignia-Roku TV.

Let us know if you get it working.

--brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

tedbrown888

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:00 am

I'm having another new spoiler problem with the roku app.

I have the roku express, and some of the options mentioned previously don't show up for me. When I am watching a game, and I leave the app by hitting the home button, and then return to the mlb app and go back one day to view an archived game, it is losing the setting of "hide scores".  It is always off and so it shows the scores when I don't want them. Am I alone on this?

One other thing though, I find that the order of the games listed are not in time of game start, as it was in the previous app. Thus to watch mulitple games without announcers giving away the scores of earlier games, one has to watch in time order. In order to get this right, I have to go to the mlb site from my pc, where they do list the games in start time order. Maybe it's by going here and then coming back to the roku that it resets the hide game setting. I will have to experiment a bit to see if that's what's causing it.

update: after trying this a few times it does appear that if I go to a game from the pc that the setting is changed there as well. If I only look at what games are available, so far it hasn't changed the setting in the roku. So it's something with the mlb site saving (or not) my spoiler settings.

aguero90

Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:23 pm

Guys, I'm so annoyed right now! Yanks games, Mets games, and todays Tigers game all were blacked out, when I'm in Northampton PA! I called MLB, they said they overote my IP address to stop blackouts, but it wasn't fixed. Anyone else having this issue? She said on phone some others had problems. Weird thing is my tablet works fine, just my roku.

efitzgerald

Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:08 pm

aguero90 wrote:
Guys, I'm so annoyed right now! Yanks games, Mets games, and todays Tigers game all were blacked out, when I'm in Northampton PA! I called MLB, they said they overote my IP address to stop blackouts, but it wasn't fixed. Anyone else having this issue? She said on phone some others had problems. Weird thing is my tablet works fine, just my roku

@aguero90-
I have the same problem!!!!!! I live in Dover, DE and couldn't watch the Yankee or Blue Jay game yesterday or today?  I called support center and an hour and a half later it still wasn't working both on my Roku and my laptop.  Did you ever get the issue resolved?  I am still not able to watch my yankee game?

efitzgerald

Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:10 pm

@aguero90-

I have the same problem!!!!!! I live in Dover, DE and couldn't watch the Yankee or Blue Jay game yesterday or today?  I called support center and an hour and a half later it still wasn't working both on my Roku and my laptop.  Did you ever get the issue resolved?  I am still not able to watch my yankee game?

ehren88888

Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:46 pm

3600R Stick

How long does it take Roku to fix the issue where the video spazzes out and freezes on a continuous loop? I have to press the pause button twice for it to stop. This issue has been going on at least a year!
Roku streaming stick 3600R
115meg down cable Internet 10mb up Spectrum internet
Southern Wisconsin
PHILLIES PHANATIC!!!