Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jackdashack
Topic Author

Screen Saver Weather Time missing weather?

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:16 am

Hi, been using this screensaver forever. All of a sudden the weather information is gone and all there is to see is the time. Anyone know what happened. I checked the settings. Rebooted the system. Thanks?  Jack 

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Screen Saver Weather Time missing weather?

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:10 pm

I need to look into this. I've noticed it happening at times, but haven't had the chance to take a look. Sometimes it's just one particular reporting station that's offline temporarily. Try changing the ZIP Code to another close by.

-JT

driftwood777

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:35 pm

Same for me, it only shows the time, no temperature, past 2 days now. Rebooted, tried a different zipcode...

renojim

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:53 pm

Ok, it looks like weather.gov is finally switching to HTTPS. I've fixed the private version; get it here:
https://my.roku.com/add/CLOCPRI

If you weren't using it before, you'll have to select it from the screensaver settings and go through the "Custom settings" again.

I'll try to update the public (channel store) version, but who knows how long that will take or if it's even possible since I haven't updated it to use the new Roku SDK (shudders).

-JT

driftwood777

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:35 pm

Thanks Jim, that link worked. Just needed to update the Roku afterwards. It's now 54 degrees outside, with 40% humidity and barometric pressure 30.20" and steady.  :-)

23rdDjin

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:16 pm

driftwood777 wrote:
...It's now 54 degrees outside, with 40% humidity and barometric pressure 30.20" and steady.  :-)

but...

what time is it?

:D

"if it itches, play it..." - David Bowie - 1999

driftwood777

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:58 pm

23rdDjin wrote:
but...

what time is it?

:D

Uhhhh... Half past a monkey's $$$ and quarter to his #*&^%s??
No wait... with a little help from Mr.Wizard: Drizzle, Drazzle, Druzzle, Drome, time for this one to come home!

steveburrell

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:24 pm

Jim, 

I just wanted to add my thanks, too. My wife and I love the Time & Weather screen saver, and it's working again thanks to you. Your work is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Steve

empirefalls

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:43 am

I too have used this screensaver for years.   Although just noticing i havent seen the screensaver in many months.

j_in_tx

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:04 am

So happy to have this great informative screen saver back!!  RenoJim, are there any resources that outline the process you used to create this saver?  Id like to try making one that will update a fullscreen version of a satellite view. 

-Jason

renojim

Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:22 pm

No, I wouldn't say there are any resources that would be specific to this. As Roku channels go, it's pretty simple. The tough part was figuring out the interface to weather.gov. There are plenty of generic Roku samples on github, but they tend to be audio/video and UI related. I'm going to have to rewrite this screensaver by the end of the year since it uses the old SDK which is (may be?) going away.

I also created this channel that has satellite and radar loops. I've never been real happy with its performance and I really need to rewrite it as well. Also, the GOES East satellite has gone AWOL.

These kind of channels are more closely related to game development on Roku than the usual video channels.

-JT

Jamesray50

Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:13 pm

renojim wrote:
Ok, it looks like weather.gov is finally switching to HTTPS.  I've fixed the private version; get it here:
https://my.roku.com/add/CLOCPRI

If you weren't using it before, you'll have to select it from the screensaver settings and go through the "Custom settings" again.

I'll try to update the public (channel store) version, but who knows how long that will take or if it's even possible since I haven't updated it to use the new Roku SDK (shudders).

-JT

Mine quit working again. Any suggestions?

renojim

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:08 pm

I thought it was just mine. The reporting stations are often in volunteer's backyards, so they sometimes go offline. Mine has been working off and on the last few days, but if you're seeing a problem as well, maybe there's something more going on. I'll take a look.

-JT

banthafodder

Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:58 pm

renojim wrote:
No, I wouldn't say there are any resources that would be specific to this.  As Roku channels go, it's pretty simple.  The tough part was figuring out the interface to weather.gov.  There are plenty of generic Roku samples on github, but they tend to be audio/video and UI related.  I'm going to have to rewrite this screensaver by the end of the year since it uses the old SDK which is (may be?) going away.

I also created this channel that has satellite and radar loops.  I've never been real happy with its performance and I really need to rewrite it as well.  Also, the GOES East satellite has gone AWOL.

These kind of channels are more closely related to game development on Roku than the usual video channels.

-JT

If you don't mind me asking. How were you able to loop video of radar feeds in a screensaver with the "no video" limitation of screensavers?

renojim

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:17 pm

You're mistaking my simple LED Time and Weather screensaver for another or for my channel that grabs NOAA satellite and radar loops that's not a screensaver (but could be; there's no video involved). I just display text using a 7-segment LED-like font.

All the satellite and radar loops I've ever seen are simply a series of images spaced a few minutes to an hour apart which are displayed one after another.

-JT