Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

j_in_tx

Re: Screen Saver Weather Time missing weather?

Thu May 02, 2019 6:45 am

hey guys, it looks like the WX forcast is offline again.  Ive tried several zipcodes and the public and private versions of the screensaver... @renojim, is this screensaver still alive?

-J

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Thu May 02, 2019 8:33 am

I updated the private version (I'm not sure I can update the public version without converting to the new SDK, so it may be broken for a while). Make sure you have version 2.5 build 5. There may also be something going on with weather.gov since I'm seeing "Service Unavailable" responses at times.

-JT

DubTaylor

Sat May 04, 2019 12:23 am

renojim wrote:
I updated the private version (I'm not sure I can update the public version without converting to the new SDK, so it may be broken for a while).  Make sure you have version 2.5 build 5.  There may also be something going on with weather.gov since I'm seeing "Service Unavailable" responses at times.

-JT

Not sure how a bog-standard user (like me) would find the version (private) - looked all over the place to no avail. I did, however, remove, then re-add (from the link up the previous page). Nothing but the time displays, but that's not unusual out here in the boonies (Greater Cumberland Regional Airport - 165 Terminal Loop, Wiley Ford, WV 26767). I suppose it'll just start working normally again at some point, like it usually does.

iFrog

Mon May 06, 2019 8:44 am

Hi @renojim, I'm reporting from Florida, that I too had to switch to the private channel to get the weather back.  I was starting to wonder if maybe I had made a wrong network setting after the weather info suddenly disappeared.  I uninstalled the public channel before adding the private one.  I'm pretty sure I added the private one as the Roku site gave me the non certified warning.

I'll follow this thread for a bit to see when a public fix is issued.

I'm glad it wasn't my network causing the issue.  My router runs DD-WRT, and sometimes it's easy to make a wrong setting, or even encounter bugs there as that's also beta.

FYI, my units are a 2017, and 2018 Ultra, with RokuOS 9.1 build 4068 installed.

One other thing, once I've installed a private channel, is the Roku able to keep it auto updated along with the public versions from the channel store?
Thanks

renojim

Mon May 06, 2019 10:39 am

DubTaylor wrote:
Not sure how a bog-standard user (like me) would find the version (private) - looked all over the place to no avail.

I couldn't find a way either. :) Seems like a minor oversight on Roku's part. I had assumed you could highlight it in the screen of screensavers and press the Options button like on the home screen, but that doesn't work. Anyway, the published date does show up and the private channel was last updated 5/1/19 while the public version was last updated last year.

I tried you ZIP code with the private version and it gives the current weather. Now if I can only figure out why I can't change screensavers on my mother's XS from any of the Roku supplied ones I'll get her weather working again, too. :D

-JT

renojim

Mon May 06, 2019 10:43 am

iFrog wrote:

It's good to know v9.1 hasn't broken it since it still has arrived on any of my multitude of units.

iFrog wrote:
One other thing, once I've installed a private channel, is the Roku able to keep it auto updated along with the public versions from the channel store?

Yes, the updating process doesn't work any differently from a user's standpoint than for a public channel.  If you manually check for updates and there's one available it will be installed.  Otherwise, when the unit checks for updates each night it will install an updated private channel just like an updated public channel.

-JT

iFrog

Mon May 06, 2019 10:47 am

renojim wrote:
iFrog wrote:

It's good to know v9.1 hasn't broken it since it still has arrived on any of my multitude of units.

iFrog wrote:

Yes, the updating process doesn't work any differently from a user's standpoint than for a public channel.  If you manually check for updates and there's one available it will be installed.  Otherwise, when the unit checks for updates each night it will install an updated private channel just like an updated public channel.

-JT

@renojim, I may have gotten the wrong impression when I first read the thread, but I came away with the impression you are the developer of the clock and weather screen Saver.  If this is incorrect, I apologize, and just wanted to clarify.  Anyway thanks for the reply.  I'll keep the private channel installed until I hear something about the public channel fix.

renojim

Mon May 06, 2019 2:56 pm

Yep, it's all on me! :D

iFrog

Mon May 06, 2019 3:06 pm

renojim wrote:
Yep, it's all on me!  :D

Thanks for the confirmation :) One other question, that's not directly connected to this topic, but is connected to Roku, and if there is a known thread for this problem, would appreciate a link.
I can't get amazon music to activate on either Roku Devices.  I wanted to test out my prime account for music.
I can access my account via the website without issues, and the windows app in  windows 10.  However the Roku won't connect.  Prime video works fine.  I even cleaned out my registered devices on amazon and re-activated my current devices, and prime video was fine.  When I enter the code on amazon.com/code, the website says success!, but the Roku just sits there and never activates.  I've tried toggling security settings on and off in my router just to check since I run DD-WRT, and it can cause issues sometimes.  However, not appearing to be the problem.  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks.

atc98092

Mon May 06, 2019 4:12 pm

iFrog, when you asked that question I realized I hadn't linked my new Premiere to Amazon Music, so I just tried. After I entered the code on the web site, the Roku completed connection in under 2 seconds. You might confirm your channel version. Mine is 2.0 build 39. If it still won't link, then remove the channel, reboot the Roku, then reinstall the channel. Don't forget the reboot. But Prime Music seems to be working fine. Maybe connect your Roku to a phone hotspot, or different Internet connection and try again. Once it's authenticated, you should be fine. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

DubTaylor

Tue May 07, 2019 1:15 am

renojim wrote:
DubTaylor wrote:
Not sure how a bog-standard user (like me) would find the version (private) - looked all over the place to no avail.

I couldn't find a way either.  :)  Seems like a minor oversight on Roku's part.  I had assumed you could highlight it in the screen of screensavers and press the Options button like on the home screen, but that doesn't work.  Anyway, the published date does show up and the private channel was last updated 5/1/19 while the public version was last updated last year.

I tried you ZIP code with the private version and it gives the current weather.  Now if I can only figure out why I can't change screensavers on my mother's XS from any of the Roku supplied ones I'll get her weather working again, too.   :D

-JT

It's odd, but I still can't get any weather - only the time. The Roku Ultra (4660) has direct, wired access to the internet, all is as it was until... the FW update... and it was like flipping a switch (that broke it).

Later today I'll enter in some more zip codes for the area. I've tried my own (26757) and The Airport (26756 <---pretty sure about that). I'll reboot everything (when idle - router is the only thing left), try some larger towns and let you know what happened.
Last edited by DubTaylor on Tue May 07, 2019 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

iFrog

Tue May 07, 2019 1:32 am

DubTaylor wrote:
renojim wrote:
DubTaylor wrote:

I couldn't find a way either.  :)  Seems like a minor oversight on Roku's part.  I had assumed you could highlight it in the screen of screensavers and press the Options button like on the home screen, but that doesn't work.  Anyway, the published date does show up and the private channel was last updated 5/1/19 while the public version was last updated last year.

I tried you ZIP code with the private version and it gives the current weather.  Now if I can only figure out why I can't change screensavers on my mother's XS from any of the Roku supplied ones I'll get her weather working again, too.   :D

-JT

It's odd, but I still can't get any weather - only the time. The Roku Ultra has direct access to the internet, all is as it was until... the FW update... and it was like flipping a switch (that broke it).

Later today I'll enter in some more zip codes for the area. I've tried my own (26757) and The Airport (26756 <---pretty sure about that). I'll reboot everything (when idle - router is the only thing left), try some larger towns and let you know what happened.

I can't comment on firmware and the weather, but I did have to go into the secret screen, and roll back to 9.0.0 build 4142 as 9.1 build 4068 breaks amazon music on the Roku.  The problem is, the channel never logs in after entering the code provided.  I tested this theory on two things @atc98092 got it to work on a different Roku model then I was using, and I tried it on an older Roku 2 (Roku 3 hardware), and it worked.  I noticed the firmware was different.  So I put one of my Ultras back on that firmware, and now have Amazon music fixed on that device.
I would presume that it has to do with the new login functions and that amazon needs to update the music channel, or Roku did something and it broke.

DubTaylor

Tue May 07, 2019 1:45 am

Unfortunately, this Winter has seen several "50 Year" wind storms that took out 50 years of dead wood aloft, that in turn took out a lot of the infrastructure in the 'tri-state'. At least twice the ISP has had a major outage and may still have some of us routed through TimBukThree. We lost power so often I put everything in the house on Battery Backup, including the sump pump. The rough Winter may be leaving a lasting impression...

Testing continues...

j_in_tx

Wed May 08, 2019 4:47 am

@renojim Thanks for updating the Private Channel, this is honestly one of the most used WX resources around the house!  even our 8 year old checks it before school :) . I'd like to buy you a beer or send you a gift card or something! you put a lot of time and effort into this little simple screensaver and should know its appreciated!

-J

renojim

Thu May 09, 2019 10:35 am

Thanks, but that's not necessary.  Some things I do as much for myself as for anything else.  I couldn't tell you how much time I've spent just watching the time/weather bouncing around the screen. :D  

-JT