Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Small
Visitor

Can "Wi-Fi Direct" be turned off?

I'm trying to find the right Roku model for me, but I've learned that many of the remotes have direct Wi-Fi connection to the unit! I would not use this! Scientific research on radio wave radiation is concerning at best, and I'm not going to play Russian Roulette with my health just for the sake of a TV. (I don't use cellphones, Wi-Fi, cordless, etc)

So, can Wi-Fi Direct be turned off? And if it can, does this also disable the voice search?

If it can't be turned off, I'll be forced to buy a 4210 model 2, which I believe is the only non-Wi-Fi model that offers ethernet.

Labels (2)
35 REPLIES 35
trekkeriii
Roku Guru

Re: Can "Wi-Fi Direct" be turned off?

"John Small" wrote:
I'm trying to find the right Roku model for me, but I've learned that many of the remotes have direct Wi-Fi connection to the unit! I would not use this! Scientific research on radio wave radiation is concerning at best, and I'm not going to play Russian Roulette with my health just for the sake of a TV. (I don't use cellphones, Wi-Fi, cordless, etc)

So, can Wi-Fi Direct be turned off? And if it can, does this also disable the voice search?

If it can't be turned off, I'll be forced to buy a 4210 model 2, which I believe is the only non-Wi-Fi model that offers ethernet.

You can't completely disable the Wi-Fi signal coming off the Roku, even the Roku 2 4210 model has it. The voice remotes on the newer models use the Wi-Fi direct signal to work.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - AT&T- 1000 Mbps/1000 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
John_Small
Visitor

"trekkeriii" wrote:
You can't completely disable the Wi-Fi signal coming off the Roku…

Thanks for the reply. So, you can disable the Wi-Fi to some degree, just not completely? That's something at least. Do you know any details about the remaining signal with Wi-Fi Direct disabled? Does the remaining signal come from the base unit, remote, or both?
0 Kudos
mike_s
Roku Guru

The ability to completely disable WiFi should be added. I'm Ethernet connected and use an IR remote - the WiFi does nothing except pollute RF.
John_Small
Visitor

So… even if I buy a model that doesn't have Wi-Fi Direct, and I use Ethernet, there's still some wireless being transmitted? Is that only from the base unit, or still from the remote?
0 Kudos
mike_s
Roku Guru

I'm 99% sure the remote only transmits when you push a button.

But, I'm not sure where you're going with that question. A Roku RF remote is only going to work if the base is also using RF. And if you're using an IR remote, just take the batteries out of the RF one.

The only current Rokus without an RF remote are possibly some of the Roku TVs. None of the Express/Stick ones even do IR, AFAIK.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Roku Guru

"John Small" wrote:
So… even if I buy a model that doesn't have Wi-Fi Direct, and I use Ethernet, there's still some wireless being transmitted? Is that only from the base unit, or still from the remote?

I hate to break it to you, but the sun gives off more EM radiation than any electronics you have in your home. Not to mention everyone else's cell phones, wifi, and other electronics are around you all the time (unless you live in the middle of nowhere). Worrying about the wifi given off by your Roku is absurd. 
mike_s
Roku Guru

The sun doesn't interfere with the the WiFi which is actually being used (although that seems not to be an issue with the OP).
John_Small
Visitor

"mikebdoss" wrote:
I hate to break it to you, but the sun gives off more EM radiation than any electronics you have in your home.

Indeed it does. Thankfully, it also happens to be 93 million miles away! 🙂 Proximity is everything, which is why there are government regulations about limiting the amount of time people put cellphones against their head. Here in the UK, all cellphones are issued with a leaflet containing these warnings.

Other people's radiation is a lot like other people's cigarette fumes. I don't like the idea of passing through it, and near it, but at least I'm not smoking myself.
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

WiFi Direct is required with almost all Roku players for their remote to function. Some, like the Stick player, have no IR ability at all. So there will be a wireless signal from both the remote and the player. Can't avoid it.
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos