Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

robman501a

Re: USTVNOW No longer available for Roku

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:39 am

Screen mirroring eh? Not a bad idea. Wonder if there is a way for Windows 10 to do this. 
I can cast Youtube content from my PC to the Roku stick.
In the meantime.... I'll keep using my free USTVNow account and watch it on the laptop and have the laptop connected to the TV via HDMI. 
Own 2x Roku Streaming Stick (Model 3600X) connected to the home theater receivers HDMI port

Ldazwcat

Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:04 pm

It seems strange that the content rights owners would ask Roku to take down Ustvnow. These same content rights owners signed contracts with Ustvnow to broadcast their content online. This same content is still available online. It is just not available using Roku hardware.

atc98092

Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:13 pm

Ldazwcat wrote:
It seems strange that the content rights owners would ask Roku to take down Ustvnow. These same content rights owners signed contracts with Ustvnow to broadcast their content online. This same content is still available online. It is just not available using Roku hardware.

Not unusual at all to restrict how the content can be provided. Unfortunately, that's the way things go. There are things available on a Roku and a Fire TV that aren't available on an Apple TV. And the same in the opposite direction with something available in the ATV but may not on a Fire TV or a Roku. Look how many channels are on Roku but don't work in non-North American markets. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

stevel12345

Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:23 pm

Sucks. Hope this gets straightened out. Nobody has alleged that USTVNOW is doing anything illegal. They get their content legally from local stations in the Harrisburg, PA area. Roku is trying to drive us to Chromecasts and other alternatives.

atc98092

Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:58 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Roku has been asked to remove this channel by the content rights owner.

Roku didn't do anything. When they are contacted by the content rights owner, they are forced to do what is asked. Roku isn't driving users anywhere. When the content owners say that Roku can't allow their content on it, they have to remove the channel. If the content owners say it isn't permitted on a Roku, that makes it illegal. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:09 pm

Ok, so for all the people complaining, how many are USING the channel as a legal.user? That is, how many are overseas military or "temporary expatriots"..
I'm betting that not everyone complaining here is legit, and that's why the channel no longer exists on Roku.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

mikebdoss

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:47 pm

Ldazwcat wrote:
These same content rights owners signed contracts with Ustvnow to broadcast their content online. 

Do you have any evidence for this? Last time I checked, USTVNOW was using local (to them) broadcasts instead of national feeds. Even so, I can't find any evidence of any of the three major networks airing a live stream of one of their channels (including local and national shows and local commercials) the way that USTVNOW does. Heck, most cable stations don't air a live feed of their channels either. It's always seemed VERY strange to me that all the networks would just happen to allow it for an almost no-name company that relies on users to say they're not in the US. 

mikebdoss

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:51 pm

stevel12345 wrote:
Sucks. Hope this gets straightened out. Nobody has alleged that USTVNOW is doing anything illegal. They get their content legally from local stations in the Harrisburg, PA area. Roku is trying to drive us to Chromecasts and other alternatives.

There's no chance in h-e-double-l that any (much less all) of the networks would allow this kind of full-stream broadcast from an affiliate channel by some podunk company. The networks themselves don't have the rights to stream all the content they air. 

Also, you might want to read up on the DMCA Takedown procedure. When a provider gets a Takedown notice, they HAVE to take down the content, by law. Appeals come later. 

princzz

Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:44 pm

https://torrentfreak.com/roku-removes-u ... nt-180329/

USTV NOW is never, never never coming back!  Buy an android player and use it for USTV now!  It is 100 x better, better userface, colors, abilities, and you can record and view full program titles and descriptions and there are icons, etc.  WAY BETTER and more options!

Parisian

Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:56 am

Well, USTVnow requires that you upgrade to their 'paid' plan ($19 first 3 mos and then $29 after) and then use the Plex app on your Roku (paid service for $4.99/mo), USTVnow will connect your Plex account to their server on plex and allow you to access USTVnow on Roku, Smarttv, and other streaming devices. After I discovered this I figure I might as well keep my cable service for $30, which gives me the same channels except I also get my local area broadcast channels, which is a benefit. 

USTVnow is looking for a way to cash in now that more people are wanting their service, and I'm sure to compensate for those many, many viewers who are not actually in the US Military or overseas. Just hook your PC to your TV and watch it via the 'free' plan directly from the USTVnow website, It's what I do and use as a backup whenever my cable TV service goes down.

Details here: https://support.ustvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000710663-USTVnow-Plex-Channel-Plugin

atc98092

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:44 pm

Parisian wrote:
Well, USTVnow requires that you upgrade to their 'paid' plan ($19 first 3 mos and then $29 after) and then use the Plex app on your Roku (paid service for $4.99/mo), USTVnow will connect your Plex account to their server on plex and allow you to access USTVnow on Roku, Smarttv, and other streaming devices. After I discovered this I figure I might as well keep my cable service for $30, which gives me the same channels except I also get my local area broadcast channels, which is a benefit. 

USTVnow is looking for a way to cash in now that more people are wanting their service, and I'm sure to compensate for those many, many viewers who are not actually in the US Military or overseas. Just hook your PC to your TV and watch it via the 'free' plan directly from the USTVnow website, It's what I do and use as a backup whenever my cable TV service goes down.

Details here: https://support.ustvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000710663-USTVnow-Plex-Channel-Plugin

There's no charge for using the Plex app on any device to my knowledge. Same with the Plex server. Yes, there is a cost for the Plex Pass, and perhaps that is required for accessing this channel, I don't know. Nothing on that page you linked says anything about requiring a Plex Pass. And a Plex Pass is not required to use a Plex server or a Plex channel on a Roku.
Dan

beq

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:12 am

Parisian wrote:
Well, USTVnow requires that you upgrade to their 'paid' plan ($19 first 3 mos and then $29 after)

FWIW I had their $39 "All Channels + DVR" plan for just $25/mo for years (didn't want to lose it).  I finally cancelled since it hadn't been used and other OTT live TV services came.

I'd just noticed earlier subscribers with the $25 grandfathered pricing, so had sent them an email requesting same.  Just like that, so you never know... ;)