Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

thezman007
Topic Author

Is there ANY remote in the Roku lineup that has a mute button

Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:33 pm

and pairs with a Roku Ultra? It's literally the only thing I really miss. Otherwise I am very happy with my Roku!

twiceover

Re: Is there ANY remote in the Roku lineup that has a mute button

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:10 am

Only the TVs have a Mute button.  They are Infra Red, so it "might" work with the Ultra.

thezman007
Topic Author

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:25 pm

twiceover wrote:
Only the TVs have a Mute button.  They are Infra Red, so it "might" work with the Ultra.

I believe the Ultra is RF only, but thank you for the reply.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:52 pm

The ultra takes infrared Roku remote signals too.

The only Roku's that don't take IR are the sticks, as far as I know.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

twiceover

Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:00 am

thezman007 wrote:
twiceover wrote:

I believe the Ultra is RF only, but thank you for the reply.

It isn't. Only the sticks are RF only.

T_J

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:40 am

I use couple IR GE 33709 4-device Universal Remote (with mute button) for my Premiere+ and Roku 2 (4210). These remotes don't have to be pointed directly at the device, just in general direction. Use one remote for my Sony TV, Premiere+, and Sony 3D Blu-Ray player. Other remote used for Samsung TV, Roku 2, and Panasonic DVD recorder/player. Remotes work great with all my devices.

(Today 4/8 ) Walmart online regular price $9.32, right now $5.84 with Pickup Today (if you have local store(s) and it's in stock, so for me $5.84 + 0.46 MY tax = $6.30 total OR if no local store $12.15 total (remote + shipping + MY tax). I've noticed local store prices may be higher than online prices; so buying online and Pickup Today option might be cheaper. I'd recommend checking prices online and at store(s) to verify prices before any purchase.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:16 am

No Walmart for me when I can help it.. it's only $5.84 on Amazon, too, as an add on item ($25 minimum order).
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

beq

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:18 am

thezman007 wrote:
and pairs with a Roku Ultra? It's literally the only thing I really miss. Otherwise I am very happy with my Roku!

You could technically pair the TCL Roku TV enhanced remote (RC126 / BRC64) with your Roku Ultra player, but unfortunately the TV power, volume and mute buttons on that remote can't be programmed with IR codes to control your 3rd-party TV brand.  The TCL enhanced remote does have both Wi-Fi and an IR emitter (just like your original Roku Ultra remote) and can likewise control the Roku system via IR when the Wi-Fi Direct connection is lost, but the Roku menu doesn't allow the TCL remote to be autoprogrammed with 3rd-party IR codes.

I'm not sure what happens if your TV brand is compatible with Roku extended HDMI-CEC control, whether the TCL remote's mute button would work (much less the power/volume buttons)?

Anyways I had to temporarily do this when I was running short on remotes -- pair a TCL RC126 remote to a Roku Ultra hooked up to an LG TV.  Had to revert back to the LG remote just to change volume and such.  Funnily enough, I'd then moved the Ultra and hooked it up to an actual TCL Roku TV set, and the TCL remote (which again is still paired to the Ultra) could automatically control the power, volume and mute on the Roku TV set.

P.S.  Note that TCL has a new, slimmer enhanced remote for 2018, see here.  But I doubt it would work any better?
Last edited by beq on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

mike1597

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:40 am

This universal Roku style remote has mute.
https://www.amazon.com/Made-Streaming-P ... B078P6N7DC

beq

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:54 am

That does look like a nice 3rd-party remote.

Small caveat, it's IR only and won't have some features of the original Roku Ultra remote (voice, headphone jack, remote finder, point anywhere, etc).

gkl

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:49 am

I agree that adding a mute would be a nice addition.  As it is, I just turn the volume all the way down when I need to mute it. Clunky, but it works. I definitely vote for them to add a mute button on the remotes.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)