Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

haweiss2

Re: Broken Roku Ultra? Why does everything downmix to PCM stereo??

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:01 am

Since the end of May after an unsolicited firmware update to 8.0.1, OI no longer received 5.1 sound. Everything is downmixed to stereo. I reported the problem to Roku and opened a ticket. Two months later there is not only no resolution, there is no indication that they are even working on it. Today, they told me to do a factory reset, which I did, but it did not solve the problem. Terrible customer service. I'm getting an apple tv 4k.

Andyg53

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:01 pm

Well. I connected my roku ultra 4640 to my AVR using an optical cable along with HDMI and went into my AVR setup to assign the optical port to the HDMI port. I still only get stereo.My AVR is a Pioneer that is 12 years old that I do not want to replace, nor do I want to replace the roku. I would just like this bug fixed so I can go back to DD, 

MightyHandy

Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:18 pm

Both optical and Hdmi both no longer transcode. DTS does appear to work though. In May everything worked. After 8.1 update now transcoding to Dolby does not. Audio is now down-muxed to stereo. This is the default behavior of all non-ultra devices. Ultra is the only device marketed sold with transcoding features (that are now gone). If you are hearing PCM... it’s likely a receiver setting. If you play anything in stereo... does do you hear pcm?

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:54 pm

Check for a firmware update.

Danito

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:31 am

Roku info page "How to set up your Roku streaming player for surround sound" now has a new Note under the "More about audio formats" subhead that says:

• Note: The Roku Ultra* provides an additional option to transcode Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital. This allows you to connect your Roku Ultra to an AVR, sound bar, or TV that supports Dolby Digital, but not Dolby Digital Plus, and still hear the audio in surround sound.
    * Not available in all countries.

azurenepsa

Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:38 pm

Danito wrote:
Roku info page "How to set up your Roku streaming player for surround sound" now has a new Note under the "More about audio formats" subhead that says:

• Note: The Roku Ultra* provides an additional option to transcode Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital. This allows you to connect your Roku Ultra to an AVR, sound bar, or TV that supports Dolby Digital, but not Dolby Digital Plus, and still hear the audio in surround sound.

That support page should be updated.  Only the Roku Ultra 4640 (with optical audio port) supports transcoding DD+ to DD.  The Roku Ultra 4660 does not have this transcoding capability.
Last edited by azurenepsa on Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atc98092

Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:40 pm

Danito wrote:

That is only the 2016 Ultra, model 4640. The current Ultra version is model 4660, and does not convert DD+ to DD. If the Ultra has an optical port, it's a 4640. Otherwise it's a 4660. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Danito

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:27 pm

See post from RokuDale from one week ago July 23, 2018. DD+ to DD transcoding must come from the device. The port itself does not do it.  I have email confirmation of new transcoding in current Ultra from Roku support.

azurenepsa

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:07 pm

Danito wrote:
See post from RokuDale from one week ago July 23, 2018. DD+ to DD transcoding must come from the device. The port itself does not do it.  I have email confirmation of new transcoding in current Ultra from Roku support.

RokuDale confirms that the Ultra 4660 (2017 model) cannot transcode DD+ to DD in this thread:  https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=109959&#p578982

atc98092

Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:03 am

Danito wrote:
... I have email confirmation of new transcoding in current Ultra from Roku support.

Then they are wrong. The current Ultra, model 4660, does not transcode DD+ to DD. You have to have an audio device (AVR, soundbar or TV) that supports DD+. Otherwise you can only have stereo.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Heyitsrick

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:53 am

I don't know if this is by design, but my Roku Premiere + was outputting stereo-only after I had switched it to Night Listening mode. Once I switched it back, the DD+ came back normally. Wondering if the Ultra bug somehow had something to do with that toggle (internally).  

Danito

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:56 am

On my Ultra I'm watching the new season of OITNB on Netflix right now in TC DD 5.1 (not DD+) which enables me to easily convert the DD surround audio to 2ch analog stereo for my L/R Zone 2 speakers. I'm a happy camper!

atc98092

Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:12 am

Heyitsrick wrote:
I don't know if this is by design, but my Roku Premiere + was outputting stereo-only after I had switched it to Night Listening mode. Once I switched it back, the DD+ came back normally. Wondering if the Ultra bug somehow had something to do with that toggle (internally).  

Good observation. Most people are unaware that night listening mode forces everything to stereo. 
Dan