Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

venz0ja
Topic Author

roku media player support Cyrillic?

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:16 am

file names where there is a Cyrillic alphabet are not displayed in the Program,
 the war of the Worlds (Война миров Z) Z is displayed only Z
can I add support for Windows 1251 encoding? or Unicode.
thx.
Image Image Image Image

venz0ja
Topic Author

Re: roku media player support Cyrillic?

Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:06 am

have news? 

fluke

Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:40 am

If you build your own Roku Channel then you can package a different TrueType Font into the channel.

It would be nice if the Roku channels could allow for the selection of TTF files from the USB drive but it looks like that currently isn't an option.  If Roku does choose to extend the typography API to allow for loading from the USB drive, they could choose at the same time to extend the official Roku Media Player to support an "autorun.ttf" file (that automatically loads a font supplied by the USB drive) similar to how it already supports an autorun.m3u.

zolotoiy

Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:02 pm

Roku should simply use one Unicode font. This is ridiculous in 21 st century to have just Latin support.

fluke

Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:58 pm

I'm not sure having a complete Unicode v11 font set of 137,000 characters would be the best use of resources.  However, I have to agree that limiting support to use latin characters is disappointing.  Given that Google, Red Hat and the GNU project have released more complete font sets under licensing terms similar to library code baked into Roku OS.  For example, Google Roboto is under an Apache license, has a complete Unicode v7 character set, is less than 200kb as a TTF and is designed to still look good at a wide range of resolutions including budget phones that are below 720p quality.

I understand there are design constraints to creating an embedded device but in this case I am having a hard time coming up with a good excuse why cyrillic isn't standard in Roku OS and would be left up to being on a per channel basis for support.