Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

speechles

Re: MPEG2 support: patent expires worldwide, almost

Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:54 am

Why show any information at all if it isn't complete?

For example, the app I have, I wrote a capabilities profile for. This capabilities profile knows all, it is a swami. It queries the device and finds if the codecs are supported easily.

We went through dialog with users and came up with detection to support these codecs.
see here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/62070-issue-with-watching-in-progress-recording-on-roku-tcl-tv/?p=616551

Now what we do is show the user nothing on what can or cannot play. The app will transcode when it has to, or when the roku throws an error or the video player closes, the app is smart enough to sense it cannot direct play and falls back to transcoding. Now I know the RMP app cannot do this. But it can remove that part about what can or cannot play. It doesn't need to show this information if it isn't accurate. If I put RULES up in my house and don't have enough room. We just don't list some of the rules. People then break the rules not listed and wonder WTF? We say, dude.. there is only so much room to display the rules, plus different people get different rules, those are the most common rules that apply to everybody. When you break a rule not on the list, we have to explain why it isn't on the list everytime. It does get tiring, but we explain the room isnt there to show it all, all over again. Over time, people stop listening to you about the rules and make their own lists. This is what I have done with Roku. Stop listening to them. You can't listen to people who aren't forthcoming. You can't listen to roku on this subject. That is unfortunate.

Like you say, they need to make that trickplay section where it lists the codecs as the defacto, what can roku play. Then put the little caveat asterisks * by the codecs which arent supported on every model saying so. It isn't that hard. Is roku just 4 guys in a garage? Then it might be hard. But they aren't. It is ridiculous here we are 2018, and the company is shying away from actually giving accurate information. Odd right?

speechles

Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:13 pm

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 1B--2g40mi

Above are sample videos which illustrate the proof these codecs play. Do they play on your roku device?

The two .wtv files are for rokuTV users. Some people claim WTV will work on certain rokuTV models. I dispute this because unheard of, but the files are there if rokuTV people want to give them a throw. Download all the samples from the link above and try to play them. The MP4_MP4V file will of course not play in an MKV container. This is an MP4 only codec and provided to show proof of that as well. Showing all my cards now. I call. Roku your move.

atc98092
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:15 pm

speechles wrote:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AUvCY0zMr0_8Kr-bZxgJC11B--2g40mi

Above are sample videos which illustrate the proof these codecs play. Do they play on your roku device?

The two .wtv files are for rokuTV users. Some people claim WTV will work on certain rokuTV models. I dispute this because unheard of, but the files are there if rokuTV people want to give them a throw. Download all the samples from the link above and try to play them. The MP4_MP4V file will of course not play in an MKV container. This is an MP4 only codec and provided to show proof of that as well. Showing all my cards now. I call. Roku your move.

I have many WTV files, but I can't play them on my Insignia Roku TV, although it is a lower powered 720p set. I also have many H.262 recorded TV files that I've converted to MP4/M4V, and they all play. I don't have any MP4 video in a MKV container. Of course, I'm not attempted to play them from USB, but feeding them from my DLNA server. But I've changed the profile so that nothing is being transcoded, so I know it's the TV that is playing the files. And of course I have many MKV containers with H.262 video that play perfectly on my two Roku TVs, and now my Ultra as well. But I don't have any of the current generation of Roku players, so can't say which (if any) can now play H.262 as well. 
EDIT: I just tried WTV files on my Sharp 4K Roku TV, again via DLNA, and they aren't playable either. 
I do agree that it would be nice for Roku to update their web page to provide more detailed codec and container support. I also know how much support Dale has provided me over the years as I develop more specific Roku profiles for the Serviio DLNA server. Maybe it's my charming personality why I've received the support I have.  :lol:
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:47 pm

WTV recordings will play on my Roku TV if I repackage them into an MKV file (no transcoding required). Or, is the question whether WTV file/container is supported natively?

-JT

speechles

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:59 pm

renojim wrote:
WTV recordings will play on my Roku TV if I repackage them into an MKV file (no transcoding required).  Or, is the question whether WTV file/container is supported natively?

-JT

Yeah, whether it is supported natively with no adjustments. I think they mistake roku having support for WMV as implying support for WTV and are full of.. (word goes here that sounds like spit and almost spelt like it). In absense of proof, one can only assume this is just rumors. Wanted to see if anyone else here heard of such a thing. 

atc98092
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:18 am

renojim wrote:
WTV recordings will play on my Roku TV if I repackage them into an MKV file (no transcoding required).  Or, is the question whether WTV file/container is supported natively?

-JT

Sure, that works fine for me as well. But I believe the question was that someone claimed that WTV was an unannounced but supported container. I don't believe it is. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

RokuBen

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:24 am

There is no support in the Roku codebase for decoding WTV files.  They would need to be re-containerized into a supported format like MKV or TS for playback.

Chicken

Mon May 13, 2019 9:44 pm

This post isn't helpful at all, if it counts as anything, it's spiteful.

"One of RMP's helpscreens has a page showing audio and video codec support. That is official support. Officially supported fiile formats are also indicated.

Rokudale"

atc98092
Topic Author

Tue May 14, 2019 5:20 am

Chicken wrote:

"One of RMP's helpscreens has a page showing audio and video codec support. That is official support. Officially supported file formats are also indicated.

Rokudale"

No, it's an accurate description of the codecs supported by Roku Media Player on that specific piece of hardware. Not every Roku device has the same codec support, so that help page is the most accurate place to find out what that player supports. 
On the topic of this thread, Roku has now added MPEG-2 video codec support on their newer players. By newer I can say for certain that my Ultra 4640 now supports it, along with the new Premiere that I just recently purchased. The last time I checked my Stick still does not support it, and it's possible that it is old enough (lack or processing power) that it isn't capable. 
Dan

Chicken

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:06 pm

atc98092 wrote:
Chicken wrote:

"One of RMP's helpscreens has a page showing audio and video codec support. That is official support. Officially supported file formats are also indicated.

Rokudale"

No, it's an accurate description of the codecs supported by Roku Media Player on that specific piece of hardware. Not every Roku device has the same codec support, so that help page is the most accurate place to find out what that player supports. 
On the topic of this thread, Roku has now added MPEG-2 video codec support on their newer players. By newer I can say for certain that my Ultra 4640 now supports it, along with the new Premiere that I just recently purchased. The last time I checked my Stick still does not support it, and it's possible that it is old enough (lack or processing power) that it isn't capable. 

My stick simply reports "unexpected error, cannot play file", not very helpful.  Sometimes it'll play the file but most times not, just this meaningless message pointing out the obvious.  Yes, I can read so knowing which formats are supported doesn't seem to be the issue.  My concern is how can I discover why it failed so I can take corrective action?  Also, it makes no sense to me why I must have an internet connection available to play my local media or why smb isn't supported, DLNA is very cumbersome in that it's impossible to know what the server deems available based on the hidden requests/handshakes going on that have no visibility.
The WIFI remote works most of the time, eats batteries fairly quickly and at times sports a mean lag, this is peanuts compared to the lack of support for local media.
When someone stated Roku is strictly designed for internet streaming, they said it all.

atc98092
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:38 pm

I can't answer why they don't support SMB, although I will say that even though my Shield supports SMB, it has a terrible time connecting to one of my media servers, while the other is no problem. I also had an older Panasonic Blu Ray player that supported SMB, and it too was a pain to get connected. I have found that DLNA just works so much easier.
I agree with you about the lack of detail in the error messages. Dale has retired, so RokuChris has control of RMP now. He would be the best person to contact about improving the error messages. As to Internet access, I was under the impression that once a box was set up, RMP would work if the Internet connection was lost. Of course, you still need your internal network functioning with DHCP and DNS, but as long as your Internet router itself is still up those should be OK. If you have some computer chops you can always set up your own internal DNS and DHCP servers, but it does require some knowledge of networking and routing. 
Yep, Roku was designed from the git go to be an Internet streaming device. The same can be said for the Amazon Fire TV, and many of the low cost Android boxes available on the market. Even the Shield has that as it's core function, although it is advanced enough that you can enter a static IP address, and of course plays media from an attached hard drive without issue, regardless of network connection. But then, it's almost $200, while Roku players run from $30-100. 
Dan