Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Babski80
Topic Author

“Launch failed” and “can’t run channel”

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:58 am

I started receiving these two messages yesterday. “Launch failed” is related to Amazon. It says to remove channels because there isn’t enough space. I have removed channels and there is no change. “Can’t run channel” happens with multiple channels, but specifically witH PBS KIDS. The message further states that it can’t be reinstalled.

I’ve rebooted my router. Don’t know what else to try.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: “Launch failed” and “can’t run channel”

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:02 am

What is the Roku device? Model number is very helpful.

Does it have an microSD card? If so, remove it.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

Babski80
Topic Author

Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:03 pm

It’s an Express. Model number 3700. No SD card.

Basil

Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:37 pm

That model, from 2016, should be working just fine.

The responses you're reporting don't make sense. We're missing something. So, let's get some more data and see what's up.

Where are you? State should be sufficient.

Are you using a VPN?

How many apps/channels do you have on your Roku?

The Roku information and channel (app) information from this page: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44685

Do any apps run correctly? Which ones?
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)

Previous:

echa

Mon May 07, 2018 4:44 pm

We are now starting to see Launch Failed notification when trying to open YoutubeTV in our upstairs master bedroom Roku Ultra
  • We removed multiple apps as suggested but continue to get this Launch Failed message upstairs.
  • YoutubeTV app works fine on Roku Ultra device in downstairs living room, which makes this even more perplexing.
  • Only recently had this problem, we've had YoutubeTV since February. Never had a problem before on either upstairs or downstairs Roku. And that was when we had 20+ apps on the home screen. 
Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!

crxt13

Mon May 14, 2018 7:01 am

Hi I have been having similar issues with my ROKU a few days ago:
I started receiving these two messages a few days. “Launch failed” originally related to Sling. It says to remove channels because there isn’t enough space. I have removed channels and there is no change.
The normal channels didn't have an issue until a few days later and then more…HBO Go, Netflix, Hulu once and then not anymore. Some say  “the ____ channel could not be run B/C it could not be reinstalled from the network. Please check your network connection and try again”. This happens with multiple channels. Last night the only channel I could open was HULU. I have the  ROKU STEAMING STICK.

I decided to try it on another TV, both were Smart TV and it worked fine, I discovered a tiny "reset" button on the device that gets inserted to the HDMI. And am curious if that is what I could have used to reset it on the first TV, but I will never know unless it happens again. I took it back to the first tv and it works fine. I can get all the channels again. So check to see if your ROKU has a reset button and try that or unplug it and put try on another tv or replug into your device.

slghokie

Wed May 16, 2018 5:49 pm

I had the same issue recently with Youtube. If I restart Roku then I do not get the message and can access Youtube.
Scott

Vorg

Wed May 16, 2018 8:51 pm

Getting same thing tonight trying to launch Amazon Prime. Haven't added any channels in maybe a week and the last ones added where removed. Having it check for updates seemed to fix it, but I went out of the app and a few minutes latter tried again and started getting same thing.

3600xx Roku Stick
Software Version 8.0.0 Build 4184-24

32 apps. But since it was working, that is not the problem. Maybe they got a memory leak some place. I did notice today the Crackle Icon has changed. Hardly ever launch crackle because The background garbage they have going on now makes it too anoying to use.

Now nothing launches because of "network errors". Network is fine
Rechecking for updates didn't work this time. Had to select restart. 

Johnhoven

Sat May 19, 2018 6:38 pm

I am having the same problem on two devices. One has roku built into the smart TV the other is a roku device plugged into a TV. In both cases I have check that there are no system updates needed, i have done a network check and have removed quite a few channels from each device. I have powered off each device as well as the routers each is connected to. One is wireless the other is wired.

What is going on. Is roku getting hacked?

Basil

Sat May 19, 2018 7:35 pm

Johnhoven wrote:
I am having the same problem on two devices.  One has roku built into the smart TV the other is a roku device plugged into a TV.  In both cases I have check that there are no system updates needed, i have done a network check and have removed quite a few channels from each device.  I have powered off each device as well as the routers each is connected to.  One is wireless the other is wired.

What is going on.  Is roku getting hacked?

You didn't say what app you were trying to play, so I tried Prime Video. It's working like a champ.

Now, what you've done seems like proper steps, and you're still not getting some app to run. So, what is the app? And where are you (state/country)?
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)

Previous:

Johnhoven

Tue May 29, 2018 8:59 pm

I have tried several apps.  Right now I am on my TCL Roku TV.  I am able to run Hulu.  But get a Can't run channel message when I try the following:  The Roku Channel; Prime Video; and I get a Launch failed message when I try to launch Netflix.  I have removed all the apps which we don't use and now have 12 apps in total on the Home screen.

Johnhoven

Tue May 29, 2018 9:02 pm

We are now on about 2 weeks with this problem.  These apps do work on our 2 laptops, 1 desktop and 1 tablet which use the network at different times.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Tue May 29, 2018 9:06 pm

When deleting the apps and re-adding them, are you remembering to reboot the Roku in-between those steps (this is a VERY necessary step)?
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

pfmx3

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:40 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
When deleting the apps and re-adding them, are you remembering to reboot the Roku in-between those steps (this is a VERY necessary step)?

I continually get this message.  I dropped down all my apps and maybe have a total of 30 at this point.  I don't have an SD card.  Every week I have to reboot entire system to get it working again.  This issue seems like it has been ongoing for roku for quite some time.  Are there any solutions that are permanent? Other than "reboot"?  I see people with this problem going back years.

bmn

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:49 am

pfmx3 wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:

I continually get this message.  I dropped down all my apps and maybe have a total of 30 at this point.  I don't have an SD card.  Every week I have to reboot entire system to get it working again.  This issue seems like it has been ongoing for roku for quite some time.  Are there any solutions that are permanent? Other than "reboot"?  I see people with this problem going back years.

I agree, does Roku have an actual fix to this problem? I assume there isn't one as they never seem to answer the question.