Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disney Plus, Netflix, Hulu not working – crashes back to home screen

Jump to solution

Anytime I try to open Disney Plus or Netflix or Hulu it just goes to the loading screen and then just wait a minute then goes back to home screen and nothing will open

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Disney Plus, Netflix, Hulu not working – crashes back to home screen

Jump to solution

@autumncody11 @garyb 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend rebooting your network and your Roku device. Then try removing the channels from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channels back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

Tals713
Reel Rookie

Re: Disney Plus, Netflix, Hulu not working – crashes back to home screen

Jump to solution

I had Exact same issue. Followed Roku employee suggestion in comments. Go to Settings>System>Advanced system settings>network connection reset>reset connection

then u may have to set up connections to internet, I don’t remember if I had to do that

good luck!

if that doesn’t work. You can choose factory reset instead. 

Loucovey
Channel Surfer

Re: Apps won't open

Jump to solution

That did it. When I checked for updates it said it was up to day, but as you said, it had to be forced. Thanks for the tip.

Loucovey
Channel Surfer

Re: Apps won't open

Jump to solution

On your home menu, go to settings > system > system update. That should tell you if you are on version 9.3: build 4170. If not, there should be an option to update

558 REPLIES 558
JWBrandt1
Visitor

How to fix Hulu live not working - crashes back to home screen

Jump to solution

I recently bought a Roku Express. I have been streaming Hulu Live, and a couple times a day it just randomly closes out and puts me back at the Roku home screen with no warning? How do I fix this?

I’m out of ideas to fix this.... please.

Basil
Roku Guru

Re: Express keeps going to home screen

Jump to solution
Is that the only app that exhibits this behavior? Does it do it on other apps, say apps that you can authorize against Hulu with Live TV? Or Amazon? Or Netflix? Or anything?
Basil
Longtime Roku user
0 Kudos
scottv60
Visitor

Jump to solution
I'm having the same issue, and it's not just one app. It kicks you out of any app after a while.
Tacoma
Visitor

Jump to solution
This has also been happening to me with the Disney now channel. Makes me really upset because that is my son's favorite channel and he only has certain shows he likes to watch. Not sure what to do!
Basil
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
"Tacoma" wrote:
This has also been happening to me with the Disney now channel. Makes me really upset because that is my son's favorite channel and he only has certain shows he likes to watch. Not sure what to do!

While you're watching Disney Now on your Roku Express, the stream will suddenly stop and the Roku will return to the Home screen? Nobody touching the remote or anything? Is that a correct restatement of your issue?
Basil
Longtime Roku user
Tacoma
Visitor

Jump to solution
"Basil" wrote:
"Tacoma" wrote:

While you're watching Disney Now on your Roku Express, the stream will suddenly stop and the Roku will return to the Home screen? Nobody touching the remote or anything? Is that a correct restatement of your issue?

That is correct. I will click on the disney now app it will go into it but then as soon as I click on shows it will kick me back to the home screen. I am able to access the app on my tablet and my phone so I do not think it is a problem with the app 😞
Basil
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
"Tacoma" wrote:
...I will click on the disney now app it will go into it but then as soon as I click on shows it will kick me back to the home screen.  I am able to access the app on my tablet and my phone so I do not think it is a problem with the app 😞

Well, the app on the phone and tablet are either iOS or Android (most likely), and that's different OS than what Roku uses. So, it could be the app. Or it could be data about the app on the device. Let's pursue that for now.

Do these three steps in this order:

1. Remove the app

2. Reboot the Roku

3. Add the app

That would clear out most corrupt data and allow the app to load clean. You'll have to reauthenticate, of course. I suggest already being logged in to your service provider (cable/satellite/streaming) before you attempt to authenticate through the Disney Website. My experience is that's a cleaner process with fewer chances of issues. 

Let us know if that fixes it.
Basil
Longtime Roku user
0 Kudos
Tacoma
Visitor

Jump to solution
"Basil" wrote:
"Tacoma" wrote:
...I will click on the disney now app it will go into it but then as soon as I click on shows it will kick me back to the home screen.  I am able to access the app on my tablet and my phone so I do not think it is a problem with the app 😞

Well, the app on the phone and tablet are either iOS or Android (most likely), and that's different OS than what Roku uses. So, it could be the app. Or it could be data about the app on the device. Let's pursue that for now.

Do these three steps in this order:

1. Remove the app

2. Reboot the Roku

3. Add the app

That would clear out most corrupt data and allow the app to load clean. You'll have to reauthenticate, of course. I suggest already being logged in to your service provider (cable/satellite/streaming) before you attempt to authenticate through the Disney Website. My experience is that's a cleaner process with fewer chances of issues. 

Let us know if that fixes it.

That worked!! Thanks so much. You are a lifesaver!!
0 Kudos
Jaybird75
Visitor

Jump to solution
I’m having the exact same problem with the Disney Now app as Tacoma. But I’m having the problem with two different streaming sticks. Basil, I tried your fix for each, but it didn’t work for either. Do you have any other suggestions?
0 Kudos