Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

icehawks

Re: Express keeps going to home screen

Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:56 am

This keeps happening with my Streaming Stick watching the NHL.tv app. Any resolution?

geezbill

Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:15 pm

Same issue with the NBA App. It exits to the home screen every 45 mins. Roku FIX THIS OR I'M GONNA LOSE IT!!

DBDukes

Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:50 pm

geezbill wrote:
Same issue with the NBA App. It exits to the home screen every 45 mins. Roku FIX THIS OR I'M GONNA LOSE IT!!

You might want to start losing it, then. Roku doesn't write the apps. If there's a problem with the app, Roku can't do anything about it. If there's a problem with the commercials causing the app to crash, Roku can't do anything about it. Unless the Roku simply goes to home screen on all apps every 45 minutes, it's not Roku.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:07 am

DBDukes wrote:
If there's a problem with the commercials causing the app to crash, Roku can't do anything about it. Unless the Roku simply goes to home screen on all apps every 45 minutes, it's not Roku.

Don't be so quick to absolve Roku. I can't speak for the NBA app, but for most, if not all, channels the ad playback is 100% Roku code. Research Roku Ad Framework if you don't believe me.

-JT

DBDukes

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:32 am

renojim wrote:
DBDukes wrote:
If there's a problem with the commercials causing the app to crash, Roku can't do anything about it. Unless the Roku simply goes to home screen on all apps every 45 minutes, it's not Roku.

Don't be so quick to absolve Roku.  I can't speak for the NBA app, but for most, if not all, channels the ad playback is 100% Roku code.  Research Roku Ad Framework if you don't believe me.

-JT

I certainly would defer to you regarding such.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

rpk292

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:53 pm

I don't have much to add, but I'm experiencing the same issue on the NBA app on my Premiere+. About twice a game, it just exists back to the home screen. It's infuriating. 

I'm watching on a 4630 Premiere+, and it's happened at least twice per game without fail (which lines up with approximately every 45 minutes, since games are roughly 2 hours).

gibbo5e2

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:21 pm

My Roku express is also being returned to the home screen almost every commercial break and I believe it’s due to the latest build. This was not an issue when we first purchased the Roku a few months ago. Is there anyone on the forum that has a solution to this annoying problem?
Software Version: 8.1.0
Build: 4500

Wiz Minion

Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:16 pm

I have 3 Roku sticks and they all exit to the main screen without warning radomly. We've stopped using them for anything except SlingTV. We'll lose all the sticks when I find a suitable substitute. Not a fan of Fire Sticks either as they too require frequent reboots. Sad to see the Roku products all basically getting very minor yearly upgrades and not solving these long standing critical issues. Yes, they are critical when you have to keep resetting the dam things.

DBDukes

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:01 pm

Wiz Minion wrote:
I have 3 Roku sticks and they all exit to the main screen without warning radomly. We've stopped using them for anything except SlingTV. We'll lose all the sticks when I find a suitable substitute. Not a fan of Fire Sticks either as they too require frequent reboots. Sad to see the Roku products all basically getting very minor yearly upgrades and not solving these long standing critical issues. Yes, they are critical when you have to keep resetting the dam things.

Huh. My sticks don't do that. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

nkkc

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:20 pm

I'm having the same issue with two different Roku Expresses. Apps affected are Netflix, Xfinitiy app, Hulu, PBS Kids, and Amazon Prime. It doesn't happen every time I open those apps, with the exception of the Netflix app (this crashes constantly, typically a couple of seconds after I select a show). The other apps crash close randomly. Sometimes they work fine; at other times they won't work at all. 

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

lcarhartt

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:04 pm

Tacoma wrote:
Basil wrote:
Tacoma wrote:
...I will click on the disney now app it will go into it but then as soon as I click on shows it will kick me back to the home screen.  I am able to access the app on my tablet and my phone so I do not think it is a problem with the app :(

Well, the app on the phone and tablet are either iOS or Android (most likely), and that's different OS than what Roku uses. So, it could be the app. Or it could be data about the app on the device. Let's pursue that for now.

Do these three steps in this order:
  1. Remove the app
  2. Reboot the Roku
  3. Add the app
That would clear out most corrupt data and allow the app to load clean. You'll have to reauthenticate, of course. I suggest already being logged in to your service provider (cable/satellite/streaming) before you attempt to authenticate through the Disney Website. My experience is that's a cleaner process with fewer chances of issues. 

Let us know if that fixes it.

That worked!! Thanks so much.  You are a lifesaver!!

Worked for me too.  I have several Rokus throughout the house and none of the others did this.  I tried removing Sling and then adding it again to no avail.  Kept popping out to Roku home screen after about an hour.  The key is to reboot the Roku before adding it back.

WHOOPS!!!  That did not fix it after all.  While watching Sling, without interactions going on, it suddenly jumped to the Roku home screen again.  Guess my search for an answer continues.  Your help is appreciated.
Last edited by lcarhartt on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nkkc

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:19 pm

Thanks. Do I need to reset the roku with a paperclip to reboot? Or just unplug for a bit? Or is a restart enough? If it’s a full reset, does that remove all apps or will I just need to reauthenticate everything?

Trying to determine when best to try this. Thanks again.

DBDukes

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:52 pm

nkkc wrote:
Thanks. Do I need to reset the roku with a paperclip to reboot? Or just unplug for a bit? Or is a restart enough? If it’s a full reset, does that remove all apps or will I just need to reauthenticate everything?

Trying to determine when best to try this. Thanks again.

You should be able to reboot from the menu, although cutting power will certainly do a reboot. Don't use the reset button. That's for a factory reset. You don't want that.

Yes, I know that reset and reboot are often used, correctly, as the same thing. But for the purposes of this discussion, "reset" refers to a factory reset, and a standard reset is called a "reboot." When Roku says "reset" they're talking factory reset.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

Tsings

Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:15 am

Most of the comments I read were from 2018....
It's now August 2019 and I'm still having these issues. Any number of apps exit mid stream, or at a commercial. Hulu, ESPN+, xfinity, etc etc etc.

Still no real solution for this? Why did I bother getting this if I can't actually use it? I think I'm going to blast Roku's Facebook page until they solve it. Feel free to join me.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:55 am

Tsings wrote:
Most of the comments I read were from 2018....
It's now August 2019 and I'm still having these issues.  Any number of apps exit mid stream, or at a commercial.  Hulu,  ESPN+, xfinity, etc etc etc.

Still no real solution for this? Why did I bother getting this if I can't actually use it? I think I'm going to blast Roku's Facebook page until they solve it. Feel free to join me.

My Roku works great. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)