Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Coach David
Topic Author

Roku, please allow the power button to send the home comand to the Roku so it stops streaming

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:30 pm

Users continue to eat valuable server bandwidth when they are not actively watching.

They press power so send the home command, or better yet put the Roku in some sort of sleep mode.

scottypie1234

Re: Roku, please allow the power button to send the home comand to the Roku so it stops streaming

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:34 am

It should also turn out the lights for you so you don't burn electricity.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku, please allow the power button to send the home comand to the Roku so it stops streaming

Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:17 am

Which device(s) are you talking about? On my Roku TV, hitting the power button stops streaming (because when I turn the TV back on, it's back on the home screen). Is this not the case with other Roku devices with a power button?

Tivoburkee

Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:58 am

mikebdoss wrote:
Which device(s) are you talking about? On my Roku TV, hitting the power button stops streaming (because when I turn the TV back on, it's back on the home screen). Is this not the case with other Roku devices with a power button?

No, the power key is for your tv power, after it is programmed for your brand of tv. I think the only model of roku console to respond to a power command is the roku 4.

lfayb

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:57 am

mikebdoss wrote:

I  do not know which device the OP is referring to.  I just tried with my roku ultra.  I started streaming a movie,  pressed the tv power button on the utlra remote, waited a few minutes, then turned the tv  back on with the  power button on cable remote.  When the tv came on, it was on the  roku screen with the movie still streaming.

lfayb

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:58 am

Coach David wrote:
Users continue to eat valuable server bandwidth when they are not actively watching.  

They press power so send the home command, or better yet put the Roku in some sort of sleep mode.

I  think  would be great if it would stop streaming when the power button on the  roku remote is pressed.

twiceover

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:14 am

I have a feeling they are not linked in any way.  The Power/Volume buttons on that control the IR while the home/etc buttons are wifi direct.  It's possible they don't even intersect in the programming.

And of course I could be completely wrong.  Just thinking out loud.

lfayb

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:53 am

twiceover wrote:
I have a feeling they are not linked in any way.  The Power/Volume buttons on that control the IR while the home/etc buttons are wifi direct.  It's possible they don't even intersect in the programming.

And of course I could be completely wrong.  Just thinking out loud.

You could be correct.  If someone from ROKU could confirm that, then at  least we would know it is not possible.

Basil

Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:15 am

OP has a Roku Streaming Stick model 3800.

He’s previously posted a thread on this same topic in April. It had the very same subject. https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=114359&p=589450#p589450

He was given all the correct answers, but has now started a new thread on the same topic.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

DBDukes

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:15 am

scottypie1234 wrote:
It should also turn out the lights for you so you don't burn electricity.

And make toast. We’ve been asking for this for years!
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

dgrace

Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:35 pm

I've seen this on my Roku 3 a few times, no matter how many times I've told my wife to stop the stream, usually a music stream. I finally programmed the home command into my Harmony as a "when leaving activity" so it now does that.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

Basil

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:11 pm

It would be a useful feature, but I suspect current hardware (remote) doesn’t support sending IR and WiFi Direct from a single button press. For the Roku 3 or any other device that accepts IR commands, this would work. OP has a Roku 3. But, he’s talking about his Stick, which doesn’t accept IR commands.

Those with family members that don’t understand the importance of pressing “Home” when done have this issue. I taught my relatives to press “Home” when they’re done, then told the one in the household that pays the bills that if others don’t press home, it keeps streaming. Since any overages come out of their pocket, they are the enforcer.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

Coach David
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:25 pm

I am referring to the sticks. The ultra has a power save mode. Also my Roku tv turns off.

I have the stick on other TV's and it's just not a good user interface when you can't tell that you are not streaming without turning the tv back on

Coach David
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:40 pm

Oh I have the 3800

Basil

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:53 pm

Coach David wrote:
I have the stick on other TV's and it's just not a good user interface when you can't tell that you are not streaming without turning the tv back on

Actually, it's easy to tell. Were you streaming when you hit the "off" button? Then it's still streaming. Every Roku device (not Roku TV, but the standard Roku devices) works that way.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous: