Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
blade_005
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:47 am
Location: USA

Re: HDR/Dolby Vision Broken On Multiple TCL Roku TVs

Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:36 am

J3rdstkillah wrote:
Hi, I read your problem and been having the same one.  At this point I'm done with trying to make HDR work but you mentioned a secret menu where you can turn it off.  Can anyone please help me figure out how to access that menu.  I've been looking all over the internet and have been unable to find any answers

NOTE: Use at your own risk. These are service menus and the incorrect settings can severely impact your device.

Roku Secret Menu Image

Roku Secret Menu Tutorial

The above links were earlier documentation of a number of Service Code menus that could be accessed. The keystrokes below will get you to the menu that will allow you to CHANGE HDR MODE behavior. You can disable both HDR and Dolby Vision or you can OPEN HDR and set that as the device limit. That may be an option to try if your issue is with Dolby Vision content only. If Netflix DOLBY VISION content is too dark and settings can't correct, then perhaps having HDR set as your device limit will have Netflix serve up the HDR version, which may more watchable without having to give up HDR encoding completely.

CHANGE HDR MODE MENU:
HOME BUTTON (5X) - RW - PAUSE - FF - PAUSE - RW
Last edited by blade_005 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TCL Roku 55P605 | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL Roku 32S301
 
georgeedwardg
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:24 am

Re: HDR/Dolby Vision Broken On Multiple TCL Roku TVs

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:50 pm

blade_005 wrote:
J3rdstkillah wrote:
Hi, I read your problem and been having the same one.  At this point I'm done with trying to make HDR work but you mentioned a secret menu where you can turn it off.  Can anyone please help me figure out how to access that menu.  I've been looking all over the internet and have been unable to find any answers

NOTE: Use at your own risk. These are service menus and the incorrect settings can severely impact your device.

Roku Secret Menu Image

Roku Secret Menu Tutorial

The above links were earlier documentation of a number of Service Code menus that could be accessed. The keystrokes below will get you to the menu that will allow you to CHANGE HDR MODE behavior. You can disable both HDR and Dolby Vision or you can OPEN HDR and set that as the device limit. That may be an option to try if your issue is with with Dolby Vision content only. If Netflix DOLBY VISION content is too dark and settings can't correct, then perhaps having HDR set as your device limit will have Netflix serve up the HDR version, which may more watchable without having to give up HDR encoding completely.

CHANGE HDR MODE MENU:
HOME BUTTON (5X) - RW - PAUSE - FF - PAUSE - RW


The CHANGE HDR MODE MENU option did not work for me. Netflix app continues to render in Dolby Vision and it looks absolutely terrible.
 
blade_005
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:47 am
Location: USA

Re: HDR/Dolby Vision Broken On Multiple TCL Roku TVs

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:46 pm

georgeedwardg wrote:
blade_005 wrote:
J3rdstkillah wrote:
Hi, I read your problem and been having the same one.  At this point I'm done with trying to make HDR work but you mentioned a secret menu where you can turn it off.  Can anyone please help me figure out how to access that menu.  I've been looking all over the internet and have been unable to find any answers

NOTE: Use at your own risk. These are service menus and the incorrect settings can severely impact your device.

Roku Secret Menu Image

Roku Secret Menu Tutorial

The above links were earlier documentation of a number of Service Code menus that could be accessed. The keystrokes below will get you to the menu that will allow you to CHANGE HDR MODE behavior. You can disable both HDR and Dolby Vision or you can OPEN HDR and set that as the device limit. That may be an option to try if your issue is with with Dolby Vision content only. If Netflix DOLBY VISION content is too dark and settings can't correct, then perhaps having HDR set as your device limit will have Netflix serve up the HDR version, which may more watchable without having to give up HDR encoding completely.

CHANGE HDR MODE MENU:
HOME BUTTON (5X) - RW - PAUSE - FF - PAUSE - RW


The CHANGE HDR MODE MENU option did not work for me.  Netflix app continues to render in Dolby Vision and it looks absolutely terrible.

What option did you select? There is DISABLE HDR, OPEN HDR or DOLBY VISION. I remember testing with Netflix and selecting DISABLE HDR would remove HDR and Dolby Vision support and you would get a 4K version of any Dolby Vision Netflix content. Selecting OPEN HDR would remove Dolby Vision support, but allow HDR. Same content on Netflix would stream HDR version. And then selecting DOLBY VISION would restore both HDR and Dolby Vision support.

I won't deny that Dolby Vision Netflix content can be too dark for some content. The settings that I have found that work best and provide a good viewing experience with Netflix DOLBY VISION content is a TV Brightness setting of BRIGHT or BRIGHTER -- a Picture Mode setting of BRIGHT DV -- a Color Temp setting of WARM -- a Gamma Mode setting of 1.8 via the Roku app.
TCL Roku 55P605 | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL Roku 32S301
 
georgeedwardg
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:24 am

Re: HDR/Dolby Vision Broken On Multiple TCL Roku TVs

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:43 am

blade_005 wrote:
georgeedwardg wrote:
blade_005 wrote:
J3rdstkillah wrote:
Hi, I read your problem and been having the same one.  At this point I'm done with trying to make HDR work but you mentioned a secret menu where you can turn it off.  Can anyone please help me figure out how to access that menu.  I've been looking all over the internet and have been unable to find any answers

NOTE: Use at your own risk. These are service menus and the incorrect settings can severely impact your device.

Roku Secret Menu Image

Roku Secret Menu Tutorial

The above links were earlier documentation of a number of Service Code menus that could be accessed. The keystrokes below will get you to the menu that will allow you to CHANGE HDR MODE behavior. You can disable both HDR and Dolby Vision or you can OPEN HDR and set that as the device limit. That may be an option to try if your issue is with with Dolby Vision content only. If Netflix DOLBY VISION content is too dark and settings can't correct, then perhaps having HDR set as your device limit will have Netflix serve up the HDR version, which may more watchable without having to give up HDR encoding completely.

CHANGE HDR MODE MENU:
HOME BUTTON (5X) - RW - PAUSE - FF - PAUSE - RW


The CHANGE HDR MODE MENU option did not work for me.  Netflix app continues to render in Dolby Vision and it looks absolutely terrible.

What option did you select? There is DISABLE HDR, OPEN HDR or DOLBY VISION. I remember testing with Netflix and selecting DISABLE HDR would remove HDR and Dolby Vision support and you would get a 4K version of any Dolby Vision Netflix content. Selecting OPEN HDR would remove Dolby Vision support, but allow HDR. Same content on Netflix would stream HDR version. And then selecting DOLBY VISION would restore both HDR and Dolby Vision support.

I won't deny that Dolby Vision Netflix content can be too dark for some content. The settings that I have found that work best and provide a good viewing experience with Netflix DOLBY VISION content is a TV Brightness setting of BRIGHT or BRIGHTER -- a Picture Mode setting of BRIGHT DV -- a Color Temp setting of WARM -- a Gamma Mode setting of 1.8 via the Roku app.


Thanks for the follow up. I attempted the OPEN HDR setting, but the Dolby Vision notification (and subsequent backlight issues) returned upon playing back a Netflix Dolby Vision title.
 
blade_005
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:47 am
Location: USA

Re: HDR/Dolby Vision Broken On Multiple TCL Roku TVs

Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:56 am

georgeedwardg wrote:
blade_005 wrote:
georgeedwardg wrote:
blade_005 wrote:
NOTE: Use at your own risk. These are service menus and the incorrect settings can severely impact your device.

Roku Secret Menu Image

Roku Secret Menu Tutorial

The above links were earlier documentation of a number of Service Code menus that could be accessed. The keystrokes below will get you to the menu that will allow you to CHANGE HDR MODE behavior. You can disable both HDR and Dolby Vision or you can OPEN HDR and set that as the device limit. That may be an option to try if your issue is with with Dolby Vision content only. If Netflix DOLBY VISION content is too dark and settings can't correct, then perhaps having HDR set as your device limit will have Netflix serve up the HDR version, which may more watchable without having to give up HDR encoding completely.

CHANGE HDR MODE MENU:
HOME BUTTON (5X) - RW - PAUSE - FF - PAUSE - RW


The CHANGE HDR MODE MENU option did not work for me.  Netflix app continues to render in Dolby Vision and it looks absolutely terrible.

What option did you select? There is DISABLE HDR, OPEN HDR or DOLBY VISION. I remember testing with Netflix and selecting DISABLE HDR would remove HDR and Dolby Vision support and you would get a 4K version of any Dolby Vision Netflix content. Selecting OPEN HDR would remove Dolby Vision support, but allow HDR. Same content on Netflix would stream HDR version. And then selecting DOLBY VISION would restore both HDR and Dolby Vision support.

I won't deny that Dolby Vision Netflix content can be too dark for some content. The settings that I have found that work best and provide a good viewing experience with Netflix DOLBY VISION content is a TV Brightness setting of BRIGHT or BRIGHTER -- a Picture Mode setting of BRIGHT DV -- a Color Temp setting of WARM -- a Gamma Mode setting of 1.8 via the Roku app.


Thanks for the follow up.  I attempted the OPEN HDR setting, but the Dolby Vision notification (and subsequent backlight issues) returned upon playing back a Netflix Dolby Vision title.

No problem. I will have to try again on my set to make sure it still works as it did initially. But, if you still saw the DV Logo upon starting the Netflix stream then it did not disable Dolby Vision. When I tested it initially, Netflix would change the labeling from Dolby Vision to HDR and that is the notification you would get on screen at the start of the stream. If you disabled both then you would get a 4K stream.
TCL Roku 55P605 | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL Roku 32S301
 
blade_005
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:47 am
Location: USA

Re: HDR/Dolby Vision Broken On Multiple TCL Roku TVs

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:00 pm

georgeedwardg wrote:
blade_005 wrote:
Thanks for the follow up.  I attempted the OPEN HDR setting, but the Dolby Vision notification (and subsequent backlight issues) returned upon playing back a Netflix Dolby Vision title.


I went through the process and selected CHANGE HDR MODE and selected OPEN HDR and the HDR CURRENT LIMIT updates to a status of OPEN. When I return to Roku HOME screen and open Netflix app any title that previously showed a DOLBY VISION label now shows a HDR label. If I enter CHANGE HDR MODE menu and select DISABLE HDR, then Netflix DOLBY VISION titles will now be labeled as ULTRA 4K. Enter CHANGE HDR MODE and select DOLBY VISION and then all titles in Netflix that are DV capable are now labeled as DOLBY VISION.

Perhaps we are using different models of TCL TV's and that may impact how it behaves? But, I would think if we both have DOLBY VISION and HDR capable TCL Roku TV sets that they should behave similarly with these menu changes.
TCL Roku 55P605 | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL Roku 32S301
 
gk08
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Re: HDR/Dolby Vision Broken On Multiple TCL Roku TVs

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:35 pm

I also have this issue with DOLBY VISION on my 65 inch TCL Roku  5  series 2018 using Netflix. Dark and and much darker and then back to dark.  I disabled DV  and now it says HDR.  I selected gamma 2.0 for this TV as it is not very bright ( via the ROKU app on my phone).
Watching from distance in a large family room so  I am not sure if the DV made any difference.  The thing is that this TV is very cheap ( barely under $600) and picture otherwise is really good and ROKU is so smooth and fast  (best smart TV I would say)  so I am not  sure whether I should return it  (still within the window) or wait for a ROKU or TCL fix.   Thanks for the secret menu post.
(my settings  Pic mode: Bright HDR, color temp: normal  ( I cannot stand that "warm" filter that takes away the whites),  micro contrast: High,  dynamic: Off , backlight: 100,  brightness: 50, contrast: 100,  sharpness: 50 - 60,  color: 50 -60, tint: 0 -+5.)
 
gk08
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Re: HDR/Dolby Vision Broken On Multiple TCL Roku TVs

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:32 am

So I returned the TCL and got a VIZIO M  series 2018 with Dolby Vision (wanted a bright TV).  Happy to report that the issue applies only to TCLs.  Last check on TCL 5 series was this am, the version was 8.2.2,  and the issue with Dolby Vision  was still there.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests