Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Scottt1174

Re: HDR/Dolby Vision Broken On Multiple TCL Roku TVs

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:55 pm

RokuTannerDB wrote:
The team is continuing to look into these reports. In the meantime, you can try checking for any available software updates on your TV to see if this may help. If none are available, and you are still running into the issue, please feel free to PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku TV from Settings>System>About, and more information about which channel you are seeing the issue with, as well as an example content title(s) you were attempting to watch. I'll follow up with you directly to continue investigating. 

Thanks,
Tanner

Thank you sir!

rcab213

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:18 pm

Hope this gets fixed soon, I experienced this while trying to watch Glow. This week again with Triple Frontier the rainy jungle scene was pretty bad. Found out you can disable Dolby Vision and force Netflix to serve up the 4K HDR stream of that content but the setting doesn't stick on reboot. Looked around and a workaround to make it less noticeable is to say the screen to brighter and dv to dark.

TCL 65S513

moleson

Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:19 pm

Latest version 9.0.0 Build:4151 broke HDR on my 55R615.

What is broken:

Roku Streaming:  Netflix, Amazon Prime, some YouTube HDR streams do not stream in HDR   On Netflix, shows that are in HDR have UltraHD logo however stream in HD.  On Amazon Prime, no logo for HDR.  All shows are HD.
Xbox One:  Amazon Prime does not recognize any show as HDR
Playstation Pro:  setting menu of Playstation Pro recognizes TV as HDR compatible however no game or streaming service recognizes HDR.  Games that were in HDR now are shown in standard HD

What works
Xbox One:  Netflix:  DolbyVision and HDR work
RokuTV Streaming:  Netflix:  DolbyVision works 

DolbyVision does look ALOT better but at the expense of HDR!?!?!?

Called TCL.  Went through entire troubleshooting dance, including resetting entire TV.  

Issue remains. 

Gold

Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:03 pm

2 weeks ago i bought a 55R615 from best buy...the dolby vision and hdr had no dim issues on vudu. Sadly the panel had pixel problem so had to exchange it.The 2nd MODEL 55R615 HDR looked just as bright but dolby vision was to dim on vudu so i had to go into expert settings and set gamma to 1.8.At this point dv is maxed out and some scenes are still to dark sadly

atc98092

Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:15 pm

Gold wrote:
2 weeks ago i bought a 55R615 from best buy...the dolby vision and hdr had no dim issues on vudu. Sadly the panel had pixel problem so had to exchange it.The 2nd MODEL 55R615 HDR looked just as bright but dolby vision was to dim on vudu so i had to go into expert settings and set gamma to 1.8.At this point dv is maxed out and some scenes are still to dark sadly

I've never experienced DV, but my experience with HDR is sometimes the content itself is quite dim. I found that particularly with Netflix. Since I no longer subscribe to them, I can't say if anything has changed since then. But playing my local HDR media (not DV) I don't have any particular issue with my Sharp Roku TV. I know it's a different brand, but it doesn't seem to be Roku firmware related since non-TCL brands seem to be OK. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Gold

Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:33 pm

atc98092 wrote:
Gold wrote:

I've never experienced DV, but my experience with HDR is sometimes the content itself is quite dim. I found that particularly with Netflix. Since I no longer subscribe to them, I can't say if anything has changed since then. But playing my local HDR media (not DV) I don't have any particular issue with my Sharp Roku TV. I know it's a different brand, but it doesn't seem to be Roku firmware related since non-TCL brands seem to be OK. 

Oh not really complaining about TCL.The hdr and dv looks great i think for the price.I just think dv is not quite bright enough.A gamma setting in expert menu to like 1.6 would prob work for my issue but it only goes to 1.8 lol.The expert menu for gamma in hdr default is 2.2 and i haven't found any need to change that.If i set it to 1.8 the hdr would prob be to bright...but may be perfect for netflix.I dont subscribe to uhd content in netflix only hd so cant really say for sure.

RokuTannerD

Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:25 am

@moleson 
Please PM me with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku TV from Settings>System>About. I'll follow up with you directly to take a closer look and see what else we can do to help. 

@Gold 
Have you tried adjusting the Dolby picture mode settings during playback by pressing the * key on your remote? Try changing this setting between Bright/Normal, and see if this has any effect. 
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

Gold

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:56 pm

yeah the settings work fine..change fine but already running dolby vision as bright as it will go.All settings on bright. Tv picture settings> TV BRIGHTNESS (Brighter)
* <Picture Mode> Bright 
Expert Settings 1.8 Gamma
thanks for response
moleson i have same tv as you it seems..With amazon prime certain movies that say UHD play fine in HDR so sounds like you have some kind of issue.

moleson

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:18 pm

Gold wrote:
yeah the settings work fine..change fine but already running dolby vision as bright as it will go.All settings on bright. Tv picture settings> TV BRIGHTNESS (Brighter)
* <Picture Mode> Bright 
Expert Settings 1.8 Gamma
thanks for response
moleson i have same tv as you it seems..With amazon prime certain movies that say UHD play fine in HDR so sounds like you have some kind of issue.Everything was working great until they updgraded OS to 9.0.0.  Now Playstation does not play anything in HDR (ven though it is enabled in settings), Amazon Prime does not even say UHD any longer.  It broke something with the software.  This is very disappointing.  I bought this TV on Feb 10th 2019 after saving money for it.  

PSUHammer

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:48 am

I have a 65" r615 and Dolby Vision works fine for me.  I calibrated my set with a meter.  I use the recommended basic settings from rtings.com.  HDR mode is dark and the the brightness setting is "Brighter" for HDR content.  Backlight at 100.

For advanced settings, I calibrated white balance and color space using SpectraCAL.  Gamma is set to 2.2.

Gold

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:14 pm

PSUHammer i guess some things are content related as well.
That is why i said i was not complaining at all.
Watch the avengers in dolby vision starting at 44.40.
I realize this scene was meant to be dark but for me until i bumped gamma to 1.8 this scene was way to dark in dolby vision and not watchable. Hdr was not as dark in this scene, watchable without messing with gamma.
I do think the avengers movie as a whole looks better in DV as opposed to HDR thou.The colors pop more.
A calibration will raise brigtness levels? 
Just jumped into the UHD arena so still in learning mode at this point.

DK2Fresh

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:26 pm

I have a Dolby Vision issue I am hoping the masses will help with.

Purchased a 75R615 back in February. I have it hooked up directly to an Onkyo TX-NR656 (utilizing HDMI 3 ARC port)
ARC is off but CEC is on.

To the Onkyo I have Directv, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro and Xbox 360.
All are connected by HDMI, high speed cables.

When I hooked everything up Dolby Vision worked great through the Apple TV; so much so I had the TV calibrated in mid-March.
When on vacation at the end of March, came home end of first week in April. TV was updated to 9.0 and the Dolby Vision no longer works through the original setup.
Kicks the Apple TV back to HDR 4K 60hz and will not allow me to get to Dolby Vision.

However, if I hook the Apple TV directly to the TCL it switches to Dolby Vision without issue.
No settings where changed on the Apple TV, receiver but I did notice the TCL was talking to me when I would navigate menus which it did not do before I left.

I am guessing there is a handshake issue but I have not been able to find it.
Does anyone have any advice to offer on how to fix this?

atc98092

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:04 pm

" but I did notice the TCL was talking to me when I would navigate menus which it did not do before I left.

While it doesn't relate to your DV issue, the talking voice can be accidentally activated by hitting the * button several times rapidly. I forget the exact count, but the same action will turn it back off. You can also turn it off in the Menu Settings/Accessibility/Audio Guide. It's designed for visually impaired users.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

DK2Fresh

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:11 am

atc98092 wrote:
"the talking voice can be accidentally activated by hitting the * button several times rapidly."

Thanks and that makes sense except one thing; I do not use the Roku remote. I have everything in a closet so I use my Directv (RF) remote to control everything via the CEC functions.
The Roku remote is in a drawer with several other remotes. The only three things I use are the Directv remote, the Apple TV remote and occassionally the Onkyo App to switch the inputs if it did not switch automatically.

DomDom37

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:06 pm

Dropping this here in the hopes that someone has an answer ... 

My issue is more direct. I have a TCL 6 Series 65R617. 

The built-in Roku Netflix app will not trigger Dolby Vision mode when compatible content is played - I get no indicator badge and the picture settings are the normal settings not Dolby Vision settings. However, when I plug in my Xbox One X and play the content through the Netflix app on the XBox, it triggers just fine.

Any ideas?