Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

john262
Topic Author

M3U Red Player removed?

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:59 am

The M3U Red Player disappeared from my Roku boxes and I can't find it anymore in the Roku store. I used it to play playlists provided by my ISP. I wish to protest this. I was using it in a perfectly legal manner. If it was removed because it is possible to use it in an illegal manner then they should delete Plex as well since it can also be used illegally. They should also remove the Roku Media Player since it is possible to use it to play pirated content.

atc98092

Re: M3U Red Player removed?

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:11 pm

Sometimes developers pull their own apps. I have no idea what this one was, so I can't comment on any reason why it might have disappeared. But I haven't seen Roku pull a channel themselves that only could be used with illegal sources. As you mentioned, that could end up being a number of different channels, even their own Roku Media Player, since that can use playlists to connect to many online sites that might not be legal.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

RAIST5150

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:53 pm

Looks like they pulled all of them now. The "black" editions have been pulled as well.

Such a pain. Used to use the browser extensions in Play On to stream feeds from local broadcasts and other subscribed content, but after a mix of Windows 10 updates and Firefox updates, those extensions are borked. The m3u players were a far better work around than slinging them from a phone to the rokus (not exactly user friendly for my mother).

Guess I will have to invest in some nice big tablets and make playlists in VLC or something. Such a pain that they are doing this because of a few bad actors. It isn't the tools themselves that are bad... It is the manner in which they are used. A PC is one of the most versatile tools for acts of piracy--the core capabilities are built into the OS's and tons of software that runs on them. Doesn't mean they need to tear down their ecosystems because a small cross-section of the population is exploiting them.

Perhaps a geo-lock on the apps or something? Prevent devices in Mexico from having access to them instead of flat out pulling them? Maybe look into how Sony and other companies do this already with their US/EU/FR/etc. filtering for devices, accounts, and content? ... just a thought.

john262
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:36 pm

Correct. All PCs need to be banned too.

john262
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:47 pm

Now all M3U Players have been removed from Roku. Is Plex next? Does Roku management know that the same illegal playlist files that could be played with the M3U players can very easily be played in the Roku Plex app as well?

dawnavon

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:08 am

I’m disappointed they removed them all. Anyone know who I can contact about returning my rokus since they are dictating on what we can have on the products we PAID for. 
So happy my Android box is coming next week, I won’t buy another Roku!

yort

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:00 am

Geez, don't give them any ideas!

This is what happens when you buy a proprietary product. Roku has the power to take down anything for any reason

edfardos

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:05 am

Yah, that's the last straw.   I have local m3u playlists for music videos and music.  Roku is now useless in this regard.   I also watched legitimate local news casts freely available on the web.  Roku is now useless in this regard (not counting NewsOn, which provides one channel of local Statist propaganda).   In the end, I was really hoping I could make my rokus last until the Amazon Fire TV Cube was available, and I succeeded.  Thanks for the memories Roku!

john262
Topic Author

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:46 am

I just ordered two Amazon Cubes. Their specs aren't the best but at least I can install an M3U player. Goodbye and good riddance to Roku.

atc98092

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:33 am

As I said before, you have no idea if Roku is who removed the players, or if the developers withdrew them. With the upcoming requirement for all channels to be developed in their new programming environment, it's possible the developers didn't want to update them, and just pulled them.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

car54

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:53 am

RAIST5150

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:24 pm

car54 wrote:

Be mindful that it is a bit picky on the URL strings... doesn't like some addresses that don't end in .com. Perhaps their attempt at avoiding some of the less reputable sites/services?

Guess you could still redirect to get around such an issue... but it isn't something the more casual users would think to do.

livestreamaggregator

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:56 pm

it was banned by Roku, Thursday i found i message (this channel is no longer available due to a third party copyright claim and for violating Roku' Term of service) but today i found an other message (Sorry, this channel is no longer in service). that's really strange and i don't think that it deleted by the app developer.
also i don't understand why roku ban this app it dosen't provide any content and in the app terms of use it state that the app it's not related to any provider, roku should ban their own app Roku Media Player which it support m3u playlist, tooo,,,,,,,,

uniqueasme

Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:19 am

Guess who will be returning 3 Roku's I bought for my business, that he bought to stream in house non-illegal content... This guy. 

M007

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:34 pm

Any help? Or is my Roku useless ? Help help please...