Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jlsoaz
Topic Author

Why was a topic deleted?

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi I didn't check the forum for awhile, but it appears that a topic that I had started, and which did have a few helpful responses from others, was deleted:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=115510
The topic was:
"Subject: Topic reply notification - "Has anyone read a book on a large-screen TV?""

Could someone from Roku give me an indication as to why this was deleted?  I was not actively checking this, but had run into a couple of helpful responses and then didn't realize some more responses had trickled in.  When I went to check for them, the topic was gone.  The most recent response seems to have been June 8.

jlsoaz
Topic Author

Re: Why was a topic deleted?

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:46 pm

To add:
- I would post this question to some sort of admin forum instead of to the main forum, but I don't see one at first look.
- There was another topic that I had posted a few weeks ago which also seemed to disappear mysteriously.

I don't want to go boxing at shadows here (heck, it's possible I suppose that I could myself accidentally delete something) but I'd appreciate it if someone at Roku could let me know what is going on.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:50 pm

I remember that topic. Huh.

I also seem to recall there was a lot of spam hitting the boards at the time. It could have been that the administrators inadvertently deleted the thread along with other threads that were spam. I suspect if the conversation went off the rails -- I don't recall any flame wars in it -- it would have been locked and not deleted. I suspect it was inadvertent. Admins may be able to research since you included the link.

I don't recall how that thread ended, or if it ended, but, it might be worth re-posting and see if  you get better responses this time.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:50 pm

Well, it could have been any number of reasons, including accidental. I don't specifically recall deleting it (I in fact remember reading it), so I'm guessing there was a spam report on a reply and I didn't check carefully enough. If that is indeed the case, my apologies.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:55 pm

There are some spam warriors that report spam posts -- "Get large!" "Hotmail Support!" "Watch the game live!" -- during off-hours so the Admins can clean up early. Any user can report a post; it won't be removed, but will be flagged for the Admins for easy removal if that's in order. I'll report spam posts from time to time, as will others. I do know that I have reported posts by error, particularly if I'm looking to reply to a legit post right after flagging others as spam. If I catch that I've done that, I'll report that to the Admins, too, so it can be ignored.

Who knows? I may be to blame for that error.

But, do post your question again if you didn't get an answer that was helpful.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:59 pm

Looks like I deleted it and two others on June 8th. There were a LOT of spam deletions that day, so it appears I wasn't paying enough attention :( Sorry about that!
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

jlsoaz
Topic Author

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:20 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Looks like I deleted it and two others on June 8th.  There were a LOT of spam deletions that day, so it appears I wasn't paying enough attention :(  Sorry about that!

Ok thanks, I already got some of the answers I wanted on it, but may re-post for thoroughness.

It's not a big deal, but if you have access to any of the thread text and can send without too much trouble, please do.  However, if that's not possible in a quick way, don't worry about it.

I'll put up a sort of bookmark new thread.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Once a thread is deleted from the forums, it's removed from the database, so there's no trace. :(

Definitely restart the thread(s).

*edit* you MIGHT check the Waybackmachine to see if there's a cached history of that thread. Just look for any date after you published it and BEFORE June 8th.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

jlsoaz
Topic Author

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:27 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Once a thread is deleted from the forums, it's removed from the database, so there's no trace.  :(

Definitely restart the thread(s).

*edit* you MIGHT check the Waybackmachine to see if there's a cached history of that thread.  Just look for any date after you published it and BEFORE June 8th.

thanks, it's borderline not important enough, but it's an idea.  I did just re-start the topic.