Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

lilithschilde

Re: No more 5.1 Sound -Ultra Stopped Supporting Dolby D

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:55 pm

I also have a Roku Ultra. When I first bought the device last year I had this problem where the sound would drop in and out. I upgraded my HDMI cord, as some posters suggested, but no luck. Eventually there was an update that fixed the problem and I didn't have it for a long time...until a few weeks ago. Now, suddenly, the problem is back and no setting I choose will fix it. Please, Roku, either let us go back to a previous version, or FIX THIS.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:57 pm

Please check for a firmware update for the 4640.

JPRESCO

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:54 am

No update available yet Dale. I will keep checking and post back with the results. Thank you for the reply!

JPRESCO

Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:46 pm

Dale, I am happy to report that I downloaded the update this afternoon and I have 5.1 sound again. I checked a variety of channels to verify. Thank you and the team very much for fixing this issue!

azurenepsa

Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:57 pm

After receiving the update, Dolby 5.1 over HDMI is now working for me again, too.  The sleep bug I was experiencing in my setup was also fixed.

I noticed that menu sounds are still being silenced over optical once the DD decoder has been engaged.  Like I said previously, not that big of a deal to me, and I avoid it anyways as I prefer utilizing the HDMI audio feed.

Blue_avatar

Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:19 pm

I also just pulled down an update for my Roku Ultra (2016) and am happy to say 5.1 is back for my Netflix and Plex!  Thanks!!!

PS - I’m using HDMI

oldbuzzard
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:03 pm

Same here. Working fine again - I hope they continue to support Dolby D on the 4640

Kakkab

Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi, I'm afraid the the latest update has *caused* this problem for me. I think I've read this thread carefully so that I'm not missing something obvious.
I have a Roku Ultra 4640X, with optical audio out going to an Onkyo receiver that doesn't have HDMI in, so that's not an option. As of the latest update, 8.1.0 build 4145.29 that I received a couple days ago, any Dolby Digital output does not work. I still have UI sounds, and stereo music plays, and if I force the audio settings to PCM Stereo it works. But setting the audio to DD like I always have just stopped working. It was working fine for the previous month, even after getting the build that was problematic for others on this thread. I have tried rebooting.

Any others with this problem lingering? Thanks.

Heyitsrick

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:20 am

Kakkab wrote:
Hi, I'm afraid the the latest update has *caused* this problem for me. I think I've read this thread carefully so that I'm not missing something obvious.
I have a Roku Ultra 4640X, with optical audio out going to an Onkyo receiver that doesn't have HDMI in, so that's not an option. As of the latest update, 8.1.0 build 4145.29 that I received a couple days ago, any Dolby Digital output does not work. I still have UI sounds, and stereo music plays, and if I force the audio settings to PCM Stereo it works. But setting the audio to DD like I always have just stopped working. It was working fine for the previous month, even after getting the build that was problematic for others on this thread. I have tried rebooting.

Can others who had this issue and now fixed confirm they have the same firmware version as you  do now?

azurenepsa

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:03 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:
Kakkab wrote:

Can others who had this issue and now fixed confirm they have the same firmware version as you  do now?

I've been using the HDMI audio output recently, but I just switched back to optical output and am still getting DD 5.1.  I'm on 8.1.0 build 4145-29.  Interestingly, in my setup, the UI sounds are silenced after engaging the DD decoder (sort of the opposite condition), but I still get DD 5.1 when playing content.
I would try things like unplugging/rebooting the Roku (and maybe other connected AV devices), verifying inputs are set correctly and remove/reconnect cables (if you're getting some sound probably not an issue) if you haven't already done so.  If none of this accomplishes anything, it's possible there's a bug that affects your specific AV setup.

Kakkab

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:46 pm

Ha, this one was entirely my fault, and the fact that when I looked up my symptoms online I found this current thread with the same problems for my exact model was just a massive red herring.

My 5.1 receiver doesn't have enough optical ins, so I use a physical toslink switch, which I almost never have to touch. But last week I had to set it to the TV source rather than the Roku, and forgot to set it back. So the roku was sending DD over HDMI to the TV, and the TV can't pass that through, out its own optical to the receiver. But since it can pass all other audio, I completely forgot I wasn't in the usual input configuration until I tried re-seating the optical cable from the Roku and my jaw dropped when the stereo sound kept playing regardless :-)

Sorry for the false alarm.

somedatapacket

Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:23 pm

RokuDale wrote:
 Please check for a firmware update for the 4640.

Any firmware changes for TCL Roku TVs running 8.1? Continual audio decode issues...

kayleighk116

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:30 am

I am glad I found this post and this forum!  I was about purchase new HDMI cables for my Roku Ultra, Yamaha RX-A1070 and LG Smart TV. 
On my AV receiver input screen, when I am using Netflix, it lists PCM and 2.0 stereo when it used to list 5.1.
While I now know that this is a firmware issue (my firmware:8.1.0, Build: 4145), is there a fix in the works?  I have a 7.1 surround setup that cannot really be utilized if my Roku Ultra cannot pass Netflix 5.1 audio to my receiver.

If anyone out there has an answer, please let me know!

Jbyron

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:16 am

Unfortunately Roku has been mum about this. A locked thread called them out on this and all they could say was that they’re aware. It’s been over a month of people with high end systems borked because of this. I broke down and bought an ATV which comes with its own issues of course.

kayleighk116 wrote:
I am glad I found this post and this forum!  I was about purchase new HDMI cables for my Roku Ultra, Yamaha RX-A1070 and LG Smart TV. 
On my AV receiver input screen, when I am using Netflix, it lists PCM and 2.0 stereo when it used to list 5.1.
While I now know that this is a firmware issue (my firmware:8.1.0, Build: 4145), is there a fix in the works?  I have a 7.1 surround setup that cannot really be utilized if my Roku Ultra cannot pass Netflix 5.1 audio to my receiver.

If anyone out there has an answer, please let me know!

Legierk

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:01 pm

Miami Son wrote:
If only Roku would support audio passthrough these issues would not be a problem.

EXACTLY!!