Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Gmath

Re: Overheating

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:01 pm

I have the same problem. The tv flashes when it overheats but it only overheats when the roku is plugged into the tv. Any idea? It's a Samsung plasma 40" also.

atc98092

Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:04 pm

Gmath wrote:
I have the same problem.  The tv flashes when it overheats but it only overheats when the roku is plugged into the tv. Any idea? It's a Samsung plasma 40" also.

Do you mean the Roku is connected to a USB port on the TV for power? Many TVs don't offer enough power in their USB ports to adaquitely power a Roku Stick. Try using the wall adapter that came with the Roku. If that's not what you meant, then please explain further. If the Roku isn't connected to a TV, how do you know it's overheating?
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

BruceGerald

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:38 pm

I have 4 other streaming sticks.
This new one I just received runs at least 2-3 times hotter.

Brattoo

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:54 pm

I just bought a Roku streaming stick this week. Received it Wednesday. Thursday I kept getting the message on my tv that it was overheating within the first hour of usage. I checked the recommendations. It is plugged into the back of my tv, a good 8 inches away from the wall. I don’t have it near anything else. I have had the tv off all day and unplugged the stick to take a look at it, and it was very warm. The metal part of it was hot. I did just order the extension, however I am concerned over how warm it is even when everything is turned off. Should there be cause for concern?

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:23 pm

Brattoo wrote:
I just bought a Roku streaming stick this week. Received it Wednesday. Thursday I kept getting the message on my tv that it was overheating within the first hour of usage. I checked the recommendations. It is plugged into the back of my tv, a good 8 inches away from the wall. I don’t have it near anything else. I have had the tv off all day and unplugged the stick to take a look at it, and it was very warm. The metal part of it was hot. I did just order the extension, however I am concerned over how warm it is even when everything is turned off. Should there be cause for concern?

The heat might be caused by the TV/port. See if the extender fixes this. The Roku gets warm, but shouldn't get hot.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10