Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Console

Re: Intermitent audio after 8.1 upgrade

Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:43 pm

Just another so called Audiophile/Videophile with Roku Ultra feeding Marantz 8802a to SONY TV and 4K projector.  Very impressive until sound drops out completely after about 40 minutes of watching and wife stares at me in disbelief that she can’t watch friggin’ TV on my expensive system.  

timc166293

Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:45 am

Just chiming in here.  Same issue.  I loose audio and then receiver tries to resync I get a flashing picture and or HDCP message for a few seconds.

Roku please get this fixed.  My family thinks I broke our system!

Regards TJC

mintakax

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:15 am

Its unbelievable that ROKU has still not fixed this ! Roku has lost me as a customer after many, many years. I'm going to buy an Apple 4k today and never look back. Forced updates that are broken with no way to roll back ..... one month after acknowledgement and problem is still not fixed ??? Really hard to believe that a reputable company would have this poor level of response for a problem that is affecting so many customers of their flagship product.

Heyitsrick

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:42 am

mintakax wrote:
Its unbelievable that ROKU has still not fixed this ! Roku has lost me as a customer after many, many years. I'm going to buy an Apple 4k today and never look back. Forced updates that are broken with no way to roll back ..... one month after acknowledgement and problem is still not fixed ??? Really hard to believe that a reputable company would have this poor level of response for a problem that is affecting so many customers of their flagship product.

Side note: If you're going to buy an Apple TV 4K, you might as well get it by signing up for the Direct TV Now 3-month trial for $105 $120 ($5 mo increase). It gets you a free Apple TV 4K. Then, just cancel the trial before the 3 months are up. You're not going to get an Apple TV 4K (32gig) anywhere cheaper than that.  Just sign up for the cheapest DTVN package, of course.

klepp0906

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:52 pm

jesus.  so i moved secret life of pets to plex like i was talking about the other day.  Raped audio there too.  Sounds like a gremlin when the guy talks.  Tried on the smart tv client.  Fine.  Tried by disabling everything above vanilla DD in roku.  Fine.

So youve managed to not only break argueably the most widely used surround codec available over a month ago, release the firmware with it not working (who tests this and how much do they get paid? (rhetorical)) you managed to push an update with it still broken.

So now i lose netflix, and plex evidently unless i want to transcode.

good times. 

klepp0906

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:54 pm

Console wrote:
Just another so called Audiophile/Videophile with Roku Ultra feeding Marantz 8802a to SONY TV and 4K projector.  Very impressive until sound drops out completely after about 40 minutes of watching and wife stares at me in disbelief that she can’t watch friggin’ TV on my expensive system.  

at least you get 40m out of it.  for me its almost instantaneous and then nonstop from that point onward.

Console

Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:02 am

klepp0906 wrote:
Console wrote:

at least you get 40m out of it.  for me its almost instantaneous and then nonstop from that point onward.

ROKU gives an extra 30 minutes of audio with systems costing over $25,000.  

Console

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:03 pm

Is this thing fixed?  

Watched 2 episodes of Castle Rock on HULU and no loss of audio.  

Anyone else have positive experience?  

mintakax

Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:17 am

Console wrote:
Is this thing fixed?  

Nope. I noticed that the  Roku firmware had updated in the last few days, so decided to try it last night. I was in the middle of a movie on Prime and .... all of a sudden..... no audio. I switched over to my other streamer and watched the rest of the movie just fine. Roku sucks.

nocable

Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:46 am

jontalk wrote:
Yikes...I have an SR6005 along with an LG OLED55B7A and was going to upgrade my Roku 3 to the Ultra...seems like every time there's a firmware update the Ultra has more problems. Think I'll stick with the 3 for now.

Agree. I'm going to stick with stick for now.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Ultra & 3600
SPECTRUM - 100/10 Mbps

Favorite Roku Channels:
WEATHER4US
PLUTO TV
YOU TUBE
PLUTO TV

Console

Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:25 pm

mintakax wrote:
Console wrote:
Is this thing fixed?  

Nope. I noticed that the  Roku firmware had updated in the last few days, so decided to try it last night. I was in the middle of a movie on Prime and .... all of a sudden..... no audio. I switched over to my other streamer and watched the rest of the movie just fine. Roku sucks.

Bummer.  Watch 2 more episodes with uninterrupted audio.  Maybe Roku Ultra only works reliably with HULU? 

Jbyron

Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:14 pm

Was the show you were watching in 5.1 or stereo?

Console wrote:
mintakax wrote:
Console wrote:
Is this thing fixed?  

Bummer.  Watch 2 more episodes with uninterrupted audio.  Maybe Roku Ultra only works reliably with HULU? 

Brettface

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:35 am

Console wrote:
Is this thing fixed?  

That's because Hulu doesn't stream 5.1 audio on Roku - just stereo.

https://help.hulu.com/en-us/surround-sound

This is still broken for me on build 4145.

Jbyron

Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:23 am

Thats what i suspected!

Brettface wrote:
Console wrote:
Is this thing fixed?  

blade_005

Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Brettface wrote:
Console wrote:
Is this thing fixed?  

As noted, a vast majority of HULU content is still 2.0 stereo and not 5.1 surround. Your audio receiver may be processing the stereo audio into surround-like output. That might be what you are hearing.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)