Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ALD
Topic Author

No sound after unplugging headphones from remote

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:37 pm

I've had my roku(s) 3 for a couple of years.  Recently, I started having this problem where the sound, over the stereo/AVR, starts fine but then if I plug in headphones to the remote and then unplug them a graphic showing a cable connector with the number "0" appears on the top right of the screen and then there's no more sound (out of the AVR again but will resume out of the headphones if I plug them back in).  I have tried swapping the roku, swapping the remotes, and swapping the HDMI cable to no avail. 

Note, My second roku system (the one I'm doing the swapping with) has an old receiver that doesn't have HDMI so it's connected to its roku by another means.  On that stereo, when I disconnect the headphones the graphic shows the connector but the number "100" (and the sound resumes playing through its speakers as expected).

I see no options on my AVR to deal with this (though I have played around with surround modes etc).  Again, please note that the sound plays through the problematic system fine up until I plug and then unplug the headhpones so I know the connection is good.  That being said, I see (under circumstances that I can't quite recall) that once the system has this problem, i.e. once the headphones are unplugged, an HDMI type error message appearing but it disappears to quickly for me to read.  but again, if there was a real issue with the HDMI 1) the sound wouldn't come out the speakers ever (which it does) and swapping the HDMI cables surely would have solved the issue.

hackztor

Re: No sound after unplugging headphones from remote

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:24 pm

I have seen this on my roku ultra 2016. Only since roku 8.1 firmware. Once I removed the headphones and rebooted roku it was fine (at least for that session).

jayjay810

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:04 am

I'm having the same issue. It doesn't matter if I do the private listening with the remote or through the android app, it's like it doesn't actually exit private listening and I have to restart the roku to get it to play through the hdmi. I have a premiere plus and also did a factory reset which did not fix the issue. It only started after the update to 8.1.

Amalgom

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:45 pm

Experiencing the same issue.  Started with software version .8.1.0.-4131 and continues with latest software update  8.1.0.-4141 .  This is on a Roku 3.

The only sound I can get without rebooting is form Netflix video. No menu sounds. Another anomaly is I can only get netflix to play thru my home theater setup. Will not play on TV speakers unless I reboot. 

Tried a full factory reset last night.  No joy.  Different headphones no difference.  New batteries in remote. No change.

I can go back to listening on headphones and get all audio and menus sounds.  But must reboot to get sound from speakers.

Contacted Roku customer support last night.  Took multiple tries to contact.  Online chat disconnected me after asking for serial number. Looked up and posted less than a minute. Impatiently disconnected me. Then sent me an e-mail saying issue marked resolved. Nice.  Her name was Irene.

Finally got thru on phone support.  Said they would submit to their software tech support and get back to me. We'll see?

hackztor

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:32 pm

The sad part is this bug would be almost impossible to miss during QA. No one put a headphone into the jack and then removed it and noticed auto no longer worked?

SteveNYC

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:22 pm

So frustrating.... first because my wife uses this feature regularly.  When it started happening a week or two ago, I thought it might be the batteries or a reset.  Nope.  Oh boy, the complaining once the audio stopped coming back.... not good.

Secondly because now i have to listen to all her YouTube videos on makeup and mindless personal drama.

Please fix this quickly.

Running Roku Ultra (4640X) on 8.1. 4137-29

gerasco

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Having the same issue with my Roku 3. If it’s any help, the only time it’s a problem is when I watch Netflix. When I unplug it, the sound stays off. The second I exit out of Netflix, the sound returns.

I tried the headphones with Pandora, YouTube, and Tablo and had no issue with the sound as soon as I unplugged the headphones.

Still, it would be nice if this could be resolved.

fhaab67

Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:57 am

I had this problem, too - I'm a new ultra owner.  I had to plug/unplug several times to get it work again.

Since I had other problems with the headphone audio cutting out anyway, I've been using the Roku Remote app and using the ear-buds on.  The lip-sync is not perfect.  Frustrating.

davidjazz

Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Same issue on my Roku Premier Plus, after the recent update.

dpj99cobra

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:40 am

I have also experienced the issue that the "headphone mode" doesn't turn back off when unplugging from the remote.  The only way I have found to restore sound to my external AV receiver is to restart the device.  This was not a problem previous to one of the recent updates so I am hoping an update is coming that will resolve it.  

If anyone has anything else to try then I'd welcome the info.

jayjay810

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:06 am

Just got another update to 8.1 build 4145 and I am not having this issue anymore.

buttersk

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:59 pm

I just bought the 4k ultra today, and updated to 8.1 build 4145 and I am still having this same issue.

Amalgom

Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:37 pm

Well here is what I found out on my Roku 3.  I used to be able to plug in headphone when I wanted to say listen to some tunes on youtube.  Not rock my neighbors out of their beds. I could then just unplug and go back to watching netflix or what ever.  No reboot.

After the second update in a month I now find that in order to get sound back to my receiver I have to shut off the receiver, unplug and then power on again.  If I shut down the receiver before plugging in the headphones I can then just unplug before powering on home theater and sound works fine. So for me now this is an acceptable solution. One other oddity.  I can now control my receiver volume with the Roku remote.

Another issue I ran into was youtube screen flickering if I watched with just headphones.  I moved my HDMI cable to a different port on my receiver. Helped a bit.  Would take longer to occur. Moved HDMI on TV to another port.  This cured it.  Both cables felt a bit loose in previous ports.  Hopefully some will find this useful.  

I

Premiere+4630

Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:38 pm

+1

Same issue with Premiere+ @ 8.1.0 build 4145-29

Unplugging the headphones from the remote does not exit private listening mode; requires a reboot to reset it. Pretty annoying.

wescopc

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:30 pm

I have been able to get TV volume control back by removing and reinstalling a battery in the remote (thus re-booting the remote only). Not always - but worth trying first.