Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

slimpickin

Re: No sound after unplugging headphones from remote

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:56 pm

Still doing it, crazy they have so many people with the issue but dont do anything about it.   Only way to get the sound back is a reboot.  Come on roku  get your act together. 

clip203

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:33 pm

I have the same problem, and it's a deal breaker.  Has this issue been raised to Roku???  I'm disappointed in the support of this product.  The website actively prevents you from talking to anyone at Roku to inform them of a problem like this one.  Do we know if Roku knows about this?

babermac

Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:54 am

Since there is no way to email their customer support via their website, we should all Tweet @RokuPlayer. Tweets tend to get a very quick response in my experience.

clip203

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:15 am

I just did, and they responded quick.  I will let everyone know what I find out from them.

guitarpicker29

Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:11 pm

Add me to the list too.   Got a Roku Ultra last week via a Sling promotion.   Audio randomly just stops working.  My wife was watching a show on Amazon Prime yesterday.   She went to start another episode, and no sound whatsoever.   For the fun of it, I plugged earbuds into the remote...I could hear it.  Unplugged them, no sound through the TV.   Same thing has happened on other apps too (Heartland TV and Sling).   Its a random, and very annoying, bug.  I've powered off and powered back on the Roku.  I changed the audio settings to Stereo and PCM.  My TV is also set on PCM.  I'm not using any sound bars or audio equipment.  Literally just the Roku plugged into the TV via HDMI.  I've tried multiple HDMI ports and a different cable. Tried removing and replacing the batteries.  I've done everything short of doing a factory reset but that may be my next resort.

I've gone back to using my Xbox One to stream programming for now.  It really frustrates me though that I paid $50 for this thing via the Sling promotion, when I could have gotten the Roku Express for free.  My mom has a Roku express that works flawlessly.   I even have an older Roku Stick on my bedroom TV that, even though its pretty slow these days, still works.   But I'm not a fan of the ultra at all right now.  Glad I'm not the only one having these issues.

slimpickin

Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:27 pm

Every thing about my roku seems to function properly, the  only issue i have is once i plug  headphones into the remote, i have to  reboot   my roku device to get sound back out of the tv.  Also, sometimes it completely freezes  when i use headphones in the  remote.  

babermac

Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:31 pm

clip203 wrote:
I just did, and they responded quick.  I will let everyone know what I find out from them.

@clip203 did you get anything helpful back from Roku?

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:08 am

We apologize for the inconvenience. We are expecting to have this issue resolved in the next update. We truly appreciate your patience
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Premiere+4630

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:17 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
We apologize for the inconvenience. We are expecting to have this issue resolved in the next update. We truly appreciate your patience

While it's nice that you finally acknowledged this issue publicly, it took over 3 months for you to finally do so. This should've been a very simple bug to recreate back in July when it was first noted. If we're to take you guys seriously as far as caring about issues like this, you simply must at least acknowledge them in a more timely manner, rather than leave your customers in the dark wondering if we're dealing with a firmware/OS bug, or hardware issues.

Pretending that the problem doesn't exist and ignoring a thread full of complaints is a piss poor way of dealing with a fairly significant bug like this one. You can and should do better in the future.

Premiere+4630

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:33 pm

For the record, Shawn, I'm not directing my post at you personally. I understand that you have protocols to follow as pertains to publicly acknowledging bugs and posting in general. When you have been permitted to post, you have been pretty forthright and helpful in your responses. I'm directing my irritation towards Roku as a whole. I don't want to see them ever have the attitude of "Well, we already have your money, so customer service isn't a priority for us." Sadly, I think a lot of Roku's customers have been feeling that way lately. Certainly there has been no shortage of negative comments posted in this forum, on Reddit, and other social media that seems to express a general overall frustration in this regard recently.

nakedian

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:01 pm

I too experienced this with my Roku 4 and assumed it was broken.  We use the headphones VERY frequently when our kid goes down so it is a crucial feature for us.  Assuming my Roku 4 was broken I ordered an Ultra, but when it arrived we had the same problem.  I called Roku and they said it was a known problem.  VERY disappointed with Roku, how they have dealt with this and how slowly they have dealt with this.  I am an amateur installer (friends and family) and always recommend Roku, but I have been hesitant as of late due to this issue and the customer service.  The woman I talked to didn't know as much about the system as I did, and when I asked her if she owned a Roku she said "no".  I have been unplugging my Roku almost every night to "reset" it... this works, but what a pain.  Returned the Ultra.  Thanks for whoever got the information that they are going to repair it with the next patch... I sure hope so.

Bilderberger

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:11 pm

nakedian wrote:
I too experienced this with my Roku 4 and assumed it was broken.  We use the headphones VERY frequently when our kid goes down so it is a crucial feature for us.  Assuming my Roku 4 was broken I ordered an Ultra, but when it arrived we had the same problem.  I called Roku and they said it was a known problem.  VERY disappointed with Roku, how they have dealt with this and how slowly they have dealt with this.  I am an amateur installer (friends and family) and always recommend Roku, but I have been hesitant as of late due to this issue and the customer service.  The woman I talked to didn't know as much about the system as I did, and when I asked her if she owned a Roku she said "no".  I have been unplugging my Roku almost every night to "reset" it... this works, but what a pain.  Returned the Ultra.  Thanks for whoever got the information that they are going to repair it with the next patch... I sure hope so.

My Roku 3 is now fixed after the 8.0.0 update at the end of October.

I can now use HDMI ARC to connect sound bar to tv. And all the controls work great, including headphones. Now I can use the Roku remote for everything except turning off the TV. Or I can use the Samsung one remote for all.

It used to not come off mute after removing headphones on ARC, so I had to run the old school optical and use 3 remotes, lol.

dragonweezel

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:49 pm

P.S. this is still happening to me, and my premiere+  Here is the version #'s Software V:8.1.0 Build:  4159-29

bradmoss

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:13 am

ALD wrote:
I've had my roku(s) 3 for a couple of years.  Recently, I started having this problem where the sound, over the stereo/AVR, starts fine but then if I plug in headphones to the remote and then unplug them a graphic showing a cable connector with the number "0" appears on the top right of the screen and then there's no more sound (out of the AVR again but will resume out of the headphones if I plug them back in).  I have tried swapping the roku, swapping the remotes, and swapping the HDMI cable to no avail.

Same thing here, anything from Roku?

bradmoss

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:36 am

This is with headphones connected to the remote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LsmhSRIn-vlgsAohmTHpTrCuZ6AaiHm2/view

And this happens when I unplug the headphones:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12L6BGCqjpsEE7NZtXrK4bscJZV7TZLoS/view