Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jay968
Topic Author

Roku stick stinks

Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:10 pm

Been using a Roku Plus streaming stick for a few months now and am so frustrated with it, I can't stand it anymore. Hardly a day goes by where I don't lose the connection and have to reset the thing.
My god what an awful product

DBDukes

Re: Roku stick stinks

Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Huh. My Roku Stick works great. I wonder what I'm doing wrong?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:15 pm

Get an HDMI extender.. you're getting interference from the stick being close to the TV.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

atc98092

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:05 pm

jay968 wrote:
Been using a Roku Plus streaming stick for a few months now and am so frustrated with it, I can't stand it anymore. Hardly a day goes by where I don't lose the connection and have to reset the thing.
My god what an awful product

Ya know, a little more detail might help the people that could offer a suggestion. There are four different models of Stick. Which is yours? I think you mean the Streaming Stick+ (3810), but don't know for sure. Is your wireless 2.4 GHz or 5? How far away from the Stick is the wireless router? Do you have cordless phones in your home? Is the Stick plugged directly into the back of the TV, or so you have a way to move it away?
I have an older stick (model 3600) that I use when I travel. It has always worked flawlessly with most hotel wireless connections. But I have an extension cable to move the stick out from the back of the set. I don't always use it, but there's times it's helped. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

jay968
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:40 pm

My post was not intended to get any help with this but rather to just let off some steam. I have used and still have an Amazon Firestick that works fine and doesn't need an HDMI extender or anything. I just don't like its interface and don't want to put it back into the system. The Roku failed on me 4 times last night after I wrote what I did to create this post, I just turned it on about 10 minutes ago, and I am now looking at a "no connection" screen right now. I have no trouble with any other device that I own. The Roku worked fine the first few weeks that I owned it and has just gotten worse and worse in the weeks since then. Sorry to waste everyone's time here but again I am not looking for any help with this thing, I am just venting. I am about to go get myself something else...may try the Apple TV.
Sorry again, it's just frustrating. This thing is really a piece of garbage.

DBDukes

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:50 pm

"I don't want help. Therefore I shall go to a help forum."
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

jay968
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:02 pm

Last I checked this forum is titled "general discussion" not "help." Is it not acceptable to discuss a product in a discussion forum and point out the fact that it is a bad product? Granted it works for a lot of people but so do a lot of bad products. Frankly I have seen tons of bad reviews of the thing. Again, I am very frustrated by it and am done with it.

twiceover

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:53 pm

Could you describe "lose connection"?

It sounds like an interference or wifi issue.

jeffrok

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:48 pm

"the thing is really a piece of garbage".. false.

I've owned Roku products since 2008, literally, and at no time have I disliked any Roku product to consider it "garbage".

If I did, I'd get my money back and not waste time on a forum, for sure.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

DubTaylor

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:24 am

I had a whole fleet of Garbage Rokus during the 7.7 Firmware Debacle.

That bitter taste has yet to dissipate to the point I'd actually buy another Roku - if the need arises. That's gonna take a long span of trouble-free service and the clock is still ticking.

jeffrok

Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:36 am

DubTaylor wrote:
I had a whole fleet of Garbage Rokus during the 7.7 Firmware Debacle.

That bitter taste has yet to dissipate to the point I'd actually buy another Roku - if the need arises. That's gonna take a long span of trouble-free service and the clock is still ticking.

Which models did this affect? I have nothing but Roku 3s, 2, and TV models.. the TV software gets a little wonky every now and then, but no consistent bugs that I know of. I know I'm one that chimes in with "no problems here!" a lot, but really it's true.. it might be because I don't run any 4k equipment.. 4k does not seem to be Roku's strong suit..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

DubTaylor

Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:11 am

The ONLY thing I use my Rokus for is Plex. During the 7.7 Firmware Debacle my Rokus were USELESS.

Roku 3s and Roku2HDs - scattered around the NE US where family shares Plex servers.

Sure, after a while I was able to gain enough support to force a rollback to 7.6 so at least I could use my own Plex Server, but family/friends without the technical skills were left out in the cold.

This wasn't a 'momentary' and temporary thing. It went on, and on, and on and on.

IF - and it's a big one - I EVER buy another Roku for as long as I live - it will be a miracle, but as Plex continues to make one bad move after another in their app lineup and also considering that the Roku Plex App is the ONLY Plex App that actually works... I may, kicking and screaming, need to purchase another Roku at some point, but it won't be today, or soon... unless something really bad happens to the Rokus I have.

Every day (it seems) it's something else Roku has done that makes it's use with Plex more and more difficult. Most recently it's some change at Roku that prevents Plex's Roku App's Player from performing it's almost absolutely necessary 'skip 30 seconds forward and 10 seconds back' function. Now, we have to try to get that same function through multiple key presses and the use of 3 Preview Thumbs, that are not even close to accurate enough to use them for that function. You may end up close, or you may (probably) end up 12-20 seconds from where you use to get to with the press of one button. Now skipping intros, or advertising (if present  in recordings) is a painful, tedious experience all thanks to Roku Engineering. This isn't a big thing for Roku (apparently) or Plex (if they aren't dedicated to inventing the 'work-around'), but for myself, family and friends - it is a big deal. I also understand I may be in a niche user group, but it's just another straw on an already overladen camel.

My issue(s) aren't with Sticks (I avoid those things like I would Smallpox or The Black Death), so any further from me will lead this thread down the garden path, but - for the record - not all Rokus have a fresh, minty aroma and at times some of them downright stink.

jay968
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:35 am

First to answer one question from a few posts back, by losing connection, I meant just that. At least once a day, sometimes several times a day, I would have to completely redo the wifi connection in its setup (after rebooting it) to connect it to wifi. By the way, I DID try an HDMI extender and it made no difference whatsoever.
Second, the thing worked fine for the first 8 weeks or so, then started having the connection problems, just getting worse and worse till it just became completely unusable now after about 6 months of ownership. So I have had it too long, I can't just bring it back.
The other day I purchased an Apple TV. Fingers crossed but so far everything is working perfectly.
Like I've said, I've read many complaints about the Rokus. Not sure if maybe there is a bad batch out there or what, as I do understand they work great for some people. But for me? Nope, never again.

atc98092

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:02 pm

jay968 wrote:
First to answer one question from a few posts back, by losing connection, I meant just that. At least once a day, sometimes several times a day, I would have to completely redo the wifi connection in its setup (after rebooting it) to connect it to wifi. By the way, I DID try an HDMI extender and it made no difference whatsoever.
Second, the thing worked fine for the first 8 weeks or so, then started having the connection problems, just getting worse and worse till it just became completely unusable now after about 6 months of ownership. So I have had it too long, I can't just bring it back.
The other day I purchased an Apple TV. Fingers crossed but so far everything is working perfectly.
Like I've said, I've read many complaints about the Rokus. Not sure if maybe there is a bad batch out there or what, as I do understand they work great for some people. But for me? Nope, never again.

It's certainly possible you have bad hardware. But the fact it was working fine and then started having a problem points to one of two possibilities. First, Roku may have pushed a firmware update that had a problem with wireless connections. I haven't seen other reports like this, so unlikely. The other option is far more likely, and that's wi-fi interference from some other wireless device. Very possibly not even within your own home. It's particularly likely if you are using the 2.4 GHz wireless band, since so many devices use that band. 
If your wireless offers the 5 GHz band (not all do) you would likely find a much more reliable signal on that band. The way I make sure which band I connect to is to name my 2.4 and 5 GHz bands with different SSID names. Again, not all routers permit separate names. I've disabled the wireless in my DSL router because it only supports 2.4 GHz, plus it's in the garage, so not the best coverage. Instead I've installed two other routers on my home network, enabled the Wireless Access Point mode, and placed them in better locations in the house. So I have four different SSIDs on my home network, so I can be sure which box and band I am connected to.  
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

mauiman

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:10 pm

DBDukes wrote:
"I don't want help. Therefore I shall go to a help forum."

Nice to see your condescending with everyone. Ever offer anything substantial or do you just criticize?