Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Digital Native

Re: Roku 2 aspect ratio problem

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:07 am

I"m pretty sure this issue came up for me in October or November of 2018. I thought it started further back, but through viewing records was able to trace it's initial occurrence to a a specific show. 

RokuTannerD

Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:39 am

@Digital Native 

Thanks for following up. 

@everyone 

Please feel free to PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About, the make/model of both your TV & A/V receiver, and any additional details about attempted troubleshooting. I'll follow up directly to continue looking into this with you. 
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

fiveliter8

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:15 am

RokuTannerDB wrote:
@Digital Native 

Thanks for following up. 

@everyone 

Please feel free to PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About, the make/model of both your TV & A/V receiver, and any additional details about attempted troubleshooting. I'll follow up directly to continue looking into this with you. 

Has there been any resolution to this?  PM sent.

Drakar2007

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:12 am

PM Sent.

@fiveliter8: I've heard of no resolution to this yet and it's still occurring for me as of yesterday.

Murphymumich

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:31 pm

I'm  getting this as well with my Roku 3, through an [color=#333333]Onkyo TX-NR727 via HDMI to a Roku TV, 55SF3750. PM sent. Seems like a software problem given that it's happening sporadically and didn't seem to happen until recently? Hard to say. As I mentioned in my PM, I have an AppleTV connected to the set, too - I dislike that interface but at least I don't have to turn it off at least once a day. [/color]

iRdMoose

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:07 pm

Not to be one of those "me, too" kind of posters, but I've been having this issue since about August of last year. Just about every evening when I get home from work, I have to restart my Roku 3 before I watch anything because the picture is super squashed. My Roku is hooked to a TX-NR616 running the latest firmware, and that is feeding the image to my Samsung UN40C7000. I've tried explicitly setting 1080p, and using the "auto detect" option. Neither will hold the setting.

I should mention that my Roku 3 has been hooked up in this configuration since the day I bought it in 2013. I also have a 4K Roku Stick in the bedroom that I've been considering swapping between the two locations to see if the behavior follows the Roku or might just be some incompatibility in the v8.x+ firmware and my home theater system.

RokuTannerD

Wed May 01, 2019 12:54 pm

Thanks for continuing to share your reports here! We're still looking into this, and I will continue to provide updates as they are available. 

In the meantime, if you haven't already, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email, your device's serial number from Settings>System>About, and your TV/AVR device details and I'll follow up with you directly. 

Thanks, 
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

Drakar2007

Thu May 02, 2019 1:32 pm

Just to reiterate what i posted a lot earlier in the thread, here's my "quality of life improvement" tip to anyone else experiencing this issue:

To fix it, you might not need to restart your Roku - just navigate to the video settings menu and change the Roku's display resolution from "auto" to 720, then again to 1080 (confirming in between each).  For some reason for me it requires doing both of those before it works.  But this only takes a few moments, quite a bit shorter than doing a restart.

BenHead

Thu May 09, 2019 5:31 pm

Just throwing another "me too" on the pile. Roku 2 (4210X) connected to Onkyo TX-NR929, and from there to an LG TV and an Epson projector (though only one output device is ever on at a time). Like others, my menus always look right and it's only video that's squashed, even when overlay menus display over the video. It's been happening for a few months) after years of working perfectly, though I don't remember exactly when it started. I'll also PM RokuTannerD with my info.

hhoover

Wed May 15, 2019 6:19 pm

Same issue here. Roku 3, Sony Bravia TV (1080p), Integra receiver. Setting the Roku Display to 720p then 1080p from “Auto” (accepting each one) resolves the issue. It’s crazy annoying.

iRdMoose

Wed May 15, 2019 7:24 pm

Hey guys! Update your firmware! I just got the OS 9.1 update a couple weeks ago, and it hasn't done the squashed video thing since! I would encourage everyone having this issue to check it out and post updates here if you've seen results either way.

Drakar2007

Thu May 16, 2019 1:31 pm

iRdMoose wrote:
Hey guys! Update your firmware! I just got the OS 9.1 update a couple weeks ago, and it hasn't done the squashed video thing since! I would encourage everyone having this issue to check it out and post updates here if you've seen results either way.

No luck here - even if I manually check for updated firmware (Roku3 fwiw), as of this morning, it says i'm on the latest version (9.0.0 i believe), last updated in February '19.  Maybe 9.1 is just rolling out slowly?

RokuTannerD

Thu May 16, 2019 1:41 pm

@Drakar2007 

That's correct, OS updates roll out slowly. Feel free to PM me with your Roku account email address and your device serial number from Settings>System>About. I'll see what other help we can provide in the meantime. 

Thanks!
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

Drakar2007

Wed May 22, 2019 8:35 pm

RokuTannerD wrote:
That's correct, OS updates roll out slowly. Feel free to PM me with your Roku account email address and your device serial number from Settings>System>About. I'll see what other help we can provide in the meantime.

Thanks for fast-tracking my account for the upgrade - I got it the same night that you replied to my PM, and... well, it's an intermittent issue with no 100% known way to reproduce, but so far so good at least, as it's been several days.  Fingers crossed.