Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jagreenough

Re: 2XS Replacement

Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:06 am

I’m glad I bought 3 of them last fall on amazon as refurbs. Just checking and they’re nowhere to be found except as said above on eBay.

2XSAnalog
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:58 pm

I just received a "Special announcement!" email from Roku about an all new line of players for Fall 2018.  Sadly, they look about the same as the ones we've been getting spammed about for months now, and still none of them match the capabilities of the 2XS.

I guess we'll have to wait for the "Spring" models to see if they release one that lives up to it's name (eg: "Ultra-Premier-Super-Plus+7th Gen-Extra+" or something).

atc98092

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:44 pm

2XSAnalog wrote:
I just received a "Special announcement!" email from Roku about an all new line of players for Fall 2018.  Sadly, they look about the same as the ones we've been getting spammed about for months now, and still none of them match the capabilities of the 2XS.

I guess we'll have to wait for the "Spring" models to see if they release one that lives up to it's name (eg: "Ultra-Premier-Super-Plus+7th Gen-Extra+" or something).

Are you serious? The capabilities of the 2 XS are miserable compared to any of the current generation. Mine went in a drawer about 2 years ago. I pulled one out last week just to test something for someone, and I was quickly reminded why I replaced them. Other than Angry Birds, I can't think of anything that the 2 XS offers that isn't available on a new one. I suppose if you have to use analog connections, but the Express + offers that. Optical out? OK, I'll give you that. But if I had to have optical I'd be looking for a Roku 4 or 4640 Ultra and have a much more powerful player. Ethernet jack? Many players from the last couple of generations have Ethernet, and are far better than a 2 XS. 
I don't think any Roku is the absolute be all media player. For me, I have far too many local media that no Roku will stream with every bell and whistle (captions and lossless audio). I have my Nvidia Shield for that. But my Roku TVs and Ultra are still just fine for the other viewing locations in my home. But if I forced the family to use a 2 XS, I would hear nothing but complaints. I gave one to my daughter for her kids, and none of them use it. I just gave them my 4, and that one is in use daily. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

twiceover

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:52 pm

Just threw away a 2XS.

2XSAnalog
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:23 pm

I'm dead serious.  You guys please send your 2XS's to me before throwing them out.

What's wrong with them anyway?  They work fine.  I've never had a problem with any streaming app or local content.  I do use Plex as my media server, along with the Plex channel, which smooths out all bumps with media types.

What makes the 2XS great is the combination of Ethernet, digital audio, and analog audio.  No player since has offered that combination.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:17 pm

They're slow as flower to navigate.. very slow.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

twiceover

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:10 am

Also no Netflix profiles and I highly doubt the new Spotify app will be available for it.  

Don't get me wrong, the 2XS was an excellent player in its day and I still have no clue why Roku went away from Bluetooth for the remote.  It was always solid, responsive, didn't clog up wireless networks.

atc98092

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:48 am

2XSAnalog wrote:
I'm dead serious.  You guys please send your 2XS's to me before throwing them out.

What's wrong with them anyway?  They work fine.  I've never had a problem with any streaming app or local content.  I do use Plex as my media server, along with the Plex channel, which smooths out all bumps with media types.

What makes the 2XS great is the combination of Ethernet, digital audio, and analog audio.  No player since has offered that combination.

If you're streaming local media, then any resolution higher than 480/SD requires transcoding, because the 2 XS chokes at bitrates higher than around 16 Mbps. My 1080 Blu Ray rips all exceed that, with a few approaching 40 Mbps peaks. Even some 720p OTA recorded TV can exceed that. So your server is working very hard to provide a stream that your player can handle. With the latest players, I can stream my UHD rips, with peaks exceeding 100 Mbps, without issue. It doesn't matter if I use Plex, or the Roku Media Player, as both perform well. Yes, the 2 XS should handle all of the Internet streaming apps, but it doesn't. YouTube is terrible. Press a button on the remote and something happens any number of seconds later. Assuming it doesn't crash the Roku completely, which also happens. And as others have mentioned, it doesn't support the latest versions of certain channels, such as Netflix or Amazon. It's quite possible that it will stop working completely when Roku stops supporting older channels starting next year. 
I agree that it offered the network/digital and analog connections that no current player matches. However, it's really a digital world now, and I can understand the business decision to remove analog connections. I do think that optical out should still be available, as many people still use AVRs or soundbars without HDMI connections. But with the price of AVRs so low, I suggest replacing them. You can get an AVR with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 for full 4K support for less than $300. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

twiceover

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:22 am

Even an optical out box is less than $30.  I use one for a stick I had attached to a TV but needed audio out to an AVR for music.

blue_94_trooper

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:21 am

I think the primary issue is that you're using a video streaming device for audio.  The audio in a video application in 2018 is going to ride the HDMI with the video 9 times out of 10.  An audio streaming device is much more likely to have analog outputs.

I tried a few different ones but nothing was as good as my trusty old Soundbridge/Firefly combination.  However, once I flipped pretty much all of my non-critical listening to Spotify, I found a much better solution with a Chromecast Audio.  It's got analog connections that work great with my circa '85 NAD pre-amp and I can control it from my phone anywhere in the house while its Spotify streaming is still independent of the phone (e.g. I can run an errand and the stream keeps going).  Also they're dirt cheap and the two I have (the second is connected to my home theater which also drives my outside speakers) run in perfect sync.  They have a optical digital output but I'm not using it.
SoundBridge M500 (retired), PhotoBridge HD1000 rev. B (retired)
Roku 2 XS (retired), Roku XD (retired)
Roku 3 x2, Roku 2, Roku Ultra