Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

lasombra7

Re: Roku reboots randomly with Hulu Live TV

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:51 pm

But one other thing...what exactly do you mean by "removing unused channels from the device" ? Thank you

RokuTannerD

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:52 pm

If you have any channels installed on your Roku home screen that you do not use or view content on, try removing these. This can help free up system resources in some cases and improve overall performance. 
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

lasombra7

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:59 am

No Help still reboots and buffers...I removed everything including HULU and ALL channels and rebooted all no good... HELP?

RokuTannerD

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:55 am

The next troubleshooting step would be to try performing a factory reset on your device. You can see the steps for this here: https://support.roku.com/article/208757008-how-do-i-factory-reset-my-roku-streaming-device-

If that still isn't helping resolve the issue, and other channels are working correctly on your device, you'll want to contact the channel service provider directly to report the issue you're experiencing with their channel and request additional help. You can reach Hulu support here: https://help.hulu.com/s/?language=en_US

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

lasombra7

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:28 am

Thanks will do and let you know....

lasombra7

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:33 pm

No help. Did the full factory reset and does the same thing...reboots or volume shuts down or buffering. Unwatchable HELP?

lasombra7

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:05 am

Now I'm redoing the reset through the hole in the device itself...

RokuTannerD

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:22 pm

Thanks for the update here. Have you spoken to Hulu Support yet to report the issue? Are any other channels on your device experiencing the issue? 

If you're still running into the issue from there, please send me a private message with your Roku account email address, and the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About. I'll follow up directly to see what else we can do to assist you, and help provide feedback to the channel provider. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

DrPriest

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:32 pm

From looking through the posts, there must be a software issue between Roku and Hulu when live streaming. 

UPDATE (#2): A week later... I did everything in the "fix" but after a few days, Roku would drop Hulu anytime there was live streaming, again, after about 10 minutes Hulu would shut down and Roku would reset to the home page. By necessity, I have had to switch from Roku to Fire TV Stick. I do not care for the invasive nature of Amazon and Alexa, but really want to watch sports live and refuse to go back to satellite TV (cable is not available in my area).

UPDATE: Spoke with Hulu - there is a FIX!
You must clear the cache on Roku - resetting to factory does not clear it. Here is the fix code:
On the Roku remote enter the following as you would any code: press HOME 5 times, press UP 1 time, press REWIND 2 times, press Fast Forward 2 times, it will look like Roku is freezing up or screen will go blank, Roku will start up, then unplug 5 minutes, then repower the Roku.

Original:
I did a factory reset of the Roku Streaming Stick, added Hulu, and Roku still drops Hulu while streaming live news, sports or shows (tried several Hulu channels, each dropped at about 10 minutes) and goes back to the Roku home page. As others have said, this does not happen with recorded shows, just when live streaming. 
We have excellent internet speed and stream Netflix on smart TVs and other devices, and use on demand with directv. 
Hulu streams perfectly on the Fire TV Stick.
Hopefully Roku engineers will get this issue handled, looks like from these posts it has been going on for several years.
Last edited by DrPriest on Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

cookie_taps

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:07 am

I did everything mentioned in this post as well. I just ordered another Fire stick as I do not have any issues with Amazon's product... Forget Roku.

cecelouwho

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:24 pm

Hulu Live TV is rebooting for me also.  I don't feel it is a Roku problem. I think it is Hulu TV Live issue. Many on Hulu TV Live forum are complaining about the same thing even with the other devices.  I never had any rebooting issues when I had DirectTV Now.    DirectTV Now streaming was always smooth with no issues with my Roku..., .  Hulu w/no ads, Netflix or ABC and NBC app have no buffering issues either with Roku.  I feel Hulu Live has had an over-whelming amount of new customers, and it effects the way it streams.